X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J Tiers
    • Jan 2004

More photo*ucket idiocy

I really don;'t care about them, but I do have threads in various places on different forums that have pics from PB. I'd prefer not to have them removed from access.

So they said I needed to log in to "keep the photos". OK I can do that, but I'm not paying.

However, the password I do not recall.

So I use the "forgot password". They say "check your email". So I do. no message in the inbox, nothing in spam, they do not appear to have sent one. They know the email, they messaged me there.

Tried it several times, it does not work.

Stupid.
    CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
    Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
    Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
    I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
    Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.
  • Paul Alciatore
    • May 2002

I gave up with them a long time ago. I would only use their site if they paid me a LOT for each and every photo. And paid for their past use of all my photos that are still there.

When one of the older posts with my Photobucket links turns up here or on other BBs, I try to upload the photos and edit the links. That costs a lot less than their blackmail.
    Paul A.
    s
    Golden Triangle, SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
    You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

• Rich Carlstedt
      • Jul 2001

Yes Jerry, they are mind boggling with stupidity when it come to customer relations
      I got the same notice you did, and tried several times to log in and even though I had the password, it kicked me out , THEN I got lucky and got in
      and they said I had too many photos --600 + and the "Free" version only allows 295 photos or something like that, so I tried to delete a few files
      and it kicked me out , so back in again and they try to sell me a subscription , but I deleted ( with much hassle) a few folders and got to 280 pictures
      and then bailed out. They then sent me an email saying since I was now active they want me to send money for a subscription.. no Way !

Rich
      Green Bay, WI

Comment

• J Tiers
        • Jan 2004

They are still showing the photos, all I need to do is get in to make them happy and avoid them blocking the photos. But they seem to be preventing that. I got in last year and made them happy for a few months, but IIRC the password process did not accept the password I had been using, so I had to change it.

I would not pay them a dime, not with this sort of idiocy, I'm OK with the photos having a "watermark" on them. I don't feel like updating all the photo links from back in the year spit.

EDIT: Oh, yeah....... or maybe Oh s***. Since I used the reset password option, they will have issued a new temporary password, so presumably the old one, if I found the note that HAD it written down (I cannot find the note), it still would do no good.

Nice.

Naturally, I DO have all my photos, so they have nothing to hold hostage other than the fact that they are "serving" them to various old threads that probably very few are looking at.

Last edited by J Tiers; 07-21-2021, 01:08 AM.

I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.

Comment

• JoeLee
          • Aug 2009

I thought everyone here was over the PB debacle !! It's been a few years now since they pulled that BS.

I have all the pics I ever uploaded to their site so other than them not showing up in old posts at a few sites who cares, not worth the aggravation.

JL...........

Comment

• wierdscience
            • Jan 2003

I got the threat e-mail awhile back and ignored it. I had a couple pics on there that I didn't have backups for, but it wasn't even worth logging in for.

What pissed me off, was even though I had a paid account, it offered nothing in the way of better service. It just didn't have ads peppered around like the free version. When I asked them why it was so ridiculously slow, they just said Meh.

So between that and their drug dealer business model I said to hell with them.
            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

• wierdscience
              • Jan 2003

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
              I thought everyone here was over the PB debacle !! It's been a few years now since they pulled that BS.

I have all the pics I ever uploaded to their site so other than them not showing up in old posts at a few sites who cares, not worth the aggravation.

JL...........
              It's just basking in the warm glow of the flaming wreckage, that was once a great company/service destroyed by stupidity.
              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

• J Tiers
                • Jan 2004

JL...........
                Are you "Over" this forum? Would it bother you if every single post since last week was deleted? What if you could avoid that by simply visiting the site, but the site would not let you?

Being "over" PB has several versions....... I would not give them a dime, and have not added a photo in years. They can go rot. But until then, they are still serving photos, and they say that all I have to do to keep that happening is to access the account......which they have made inaccessible by a lost password process that is drastically broken.

In my case I'm just trying to access the account to make them happy and allow the photos to exist, even if watermarked. Will I be devastated if they erase the lot? Nope. Not even close. In a way, I'm letting the photos stay just to cost them server space because they are stupid enough to let me.

There are a few places that I recall, which I may go and edit to change the photo source. Just because I am silly enough to imagine someone might go to those old threads and look at them.

Comment

• A.K. Boomer
                  • May 2006

What do you want from a place that "allows" you to post pics in the name of "for free" (although has advertising) and then turns around and holds all your pictures "hostage"

so your surprised at this?

Me thinks they are most likely selling the pics to information analysts so they know what makes you tick and you can therefore be bombarded with e-mails designer directed just for you... that's if were lucky - might even be a more sinister plot then that....

Comment

• J Tiers
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                    What do you want from a place that "allows" you to post pics in the name of "for free" (although has advertising) and then turns around and holds all your pictures "hostage"

so your surprised at this?

Me thinks they are most likely selling the pics to information analysts so they know what makes you tick and you can therefore be bombarded with e-mails designer directed just for you... that's if were lucky - might even be a more sinister plot then that....

Not surprised... the title says "More PB idiocy".... obviously I expect idiocy.

Selling the photos? They don't have enough sense to do that. And nobody cares enough to analyze the photos for targeted ads, etc..... you need to stop watching Fox so much.

Comment

• A.K. Boomer
                      • May 2006

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

Not surprised... the title says "More PB idiocy".... obviously I expect idiocy.

Selling the photos? They don't have enough sense to do that. And nobody cares enough to analyze the photos for targeted ads, etc..... you need to stop watching Fox so much.
                      Not that big of a leap - their hosers, when you think about it people take pictures of "their goodies" so not that far of a stretch to find out they are selling "information" on the dark web to others "interested" in actually seeing what you have and what condition it's in, yeah kinda like just browsing the CL adds but with pristine stuff that's not even up for sale....
                      and hey - their doing nothing wrong --- probably in the fine print of the contract they had us all agree too...

think this is a first ? lay off the CNN (I don't watch either, I'll stick with Norah O'donnell but it has nothing to do with the news )....

Comment

• Glug
                        • Jan 2013

So I do. no message in the inbox, nothing in spam, they do not appear to have sent one. They know the email, they messaged me there. Tried it several times, it does not work.
                        Sometimes it isn't what it seems. PB may be "blackholed" for sending too many emails, and your email provider is making their mail disappear and not even appear in your spam folder. It just silently fails. Happens frequently. Also, often senders need to _pay_ to not get blackholed, due to the volume of email they send. I've seen stuff like this when sending mail to myself, from one device to another.

But there is another silent failure mode - cases where the sender's email provider makes their email disappear, silently. Outlook/microsoft does it frequently. A recent case - I created a new email account to do business with a small company. They repeatedly sent me a contract via their "outlook.com" address. Outlook apparently didn't recognize my email address so they would not even try to deliver it. Nor did they tell the sender that it would not be delivered. Silent failure. I have access to all the logs on this email server, so I can see everything.

My contact at the company was able to send it via gmail on the first try. They have since switched to gmail.

Another example - people wanting to register for a free service but they never get the confirmation emails. Mega is an excellent free file sharing service and they compete with google drive and other services.. gmail/google often makes their account registration emails silently disappear.

So email can fail silently at either end, sometimes nefariously.

Comment

• JoeLee
                          • Aug 2009

Are you "Over" this forum? Would it bother you if every single post since last week was deleted? What if you could avoid that by simply visiting the site, but the site would not let you?

Being "over" PB has several versions....... I would not give them a dime, and have not added a photo in years. They can go rot. But until then, they are still serving photos, and they say that all I have to do to keep that happening is to access the account......which they have made inaccessible by a lost password process that is drastically broken.

In my case I'm just trying to access the account to make them happy and allow the photos to exist, even if watermarked. Will I be devastated if they erase the lot? Nope. Not even close. In a way, I'm letting the photos stay just to cost them server space because they are stupid enough to let me.

There are a few places that I recall, which I may go and edit to change the photo source. Just because I am silly enough to imagine someone might go to those old threads and look at them.
                          Are you still uploading your pics to their site ?? I thought everyone had moved on to other picture hosting sites shortly after this happened.

JL............

Comment

• Glug
                            • Jan 2013

I thought everyone had moved on to other picture hosting sites shortly after this happened.
                            Keep in mind that some individuals who posted irreplaceable project documentation photos on PB have passed on. PB's efforts to make it difficult to move those photos elsewhere have complicated those many situations.

Comment

• QSIMDO
                              • Jan 2005

I'm just amazed and in awe of how you find the strength to carry on.
                              Len

Comment

Working...
                              X