Weird price?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird price?

Yesterday, I visited the local discount surplus building materials store and bought a few taps and a small chisel. I didn't really need the stuff, but a sign on their shelf read: 95% off, so I HAD to have a look at what was there. Turned out to be a whole bunch of same size pilots for annular cutters, and quite a few assorted taps, and one small chisel.
    ​The surprise hit when I saw the price tags
    $13.99 for the chisel, $41.99 for the 10-24 tap, and $102.98 each for the 1/2-20 and M10x 1.5. The brand stamp is Pilot Drive which I googled to find out what their actual prices were. Found them on Partsmaster.com but would have to register to get prices. Anyhow the total was less than I would have paid at retail, so Not a bad deal. Odd color looks like cobalt, but it says HSS on the shanks.
    Attached Files
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
    Last edited by Dave C; 07-21-2021, 07:23 PM.
    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

I assume the tags were "before" pricing. Tags and packaging look like they've been there a while. No wonder they had been sitting around for a dog's age.

Comment

yeah $42 for a # 10 tap.....

Comment

The decimal point was just displaced . $4. would be reasonable. So the 90% discount was still over priced.. :-)
        ...lew...
        Sorry it was 95% so that does bring it to a 5% discount. :-)

Comment

I've bought a lot of stuff from this place and got some really good deals. But, you have to be very sure of what the real price should be because many times the price tags are way off base. like the ones on these taps. I once was told that some of their merchandise comes from distant countries that call their currency dollars, but the correlation to US dollars is way off.
          “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

If I order a Guhring 10-24 long series tap , i expect to pay around 40 bux..

Comment

piloted taps are also pretty uncommon. Actually this is the first time I've ever seen one, for what that's worth. Not sure what they'd be used for that a normal spiral point tap wouldn't do?

Comment

That's DC's "We don't know what it is, so we pulled this price out our butt" pricing.

I once bought an Accurite Vue DRO from them that they had priced at $100 ,less 30% which was right next to a Horrible Fright bench top woodlathe that was missing the headstock, motor and tool rest, but was priced at $495.00

One store had a whole shelf of NOS Browning and Dodge multi-groove sheaves, taper bushings and sprockets. Knowing that stuff was well outside the needs of thier average customer and knowing what they pay for that stuff, I called over the manager and offered them $300 for everything on that shelf. She said she couldn't take the offer, but would call me if HQ agreed. I was about to finish lunch at a resturant a few blocks down, when she called and said they would take my offer. I went back and borrowed a pallet jack and a pallet from the back and rolled out about 800lbs of goodies.
                I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
                  One store had a whole shelf of NOS Browning and Dodge multi-groove sheaves, taper bushings and sprockets. Knowing that stuff was well outside the needs of thier average customer and knowing what they pay for that stuff, I called over the manager and offered them $300 for everything on that shelf. She said she couldn't take the offer, but would call me if HQ agreed. I was about to finish lunch at a resturant a few blocks down, when she called and said they would take my offer. I went back and borrowed a pallet jack and a pallet from the back and rolled out about 800lbs of goodies.
                  And thats the chit that dreams are made of. Love it. JR

Comment

When I was a kid I worked at a Home Center and one of the owners from the corp office would come from time to time and put up sale signs on some of my stuff after inflating the prices. He didn't know that I took it all done once he left though. He also liked to advertise normal prices as sale prices. Jerk.

Comment

Working...
                    X