Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OFF TOPIC In the year 2021,why am I still cleaning my dryer vent? zager and evans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OFF TOPIC In the year 2021,why am I still cleaning my dryer vent? zager and evans

Home clothes dryers have been on the market for70 years Dryer vent fires cost many lost lives and injuries plus hundreds of million dollars of damage. each year.In the last 50 years ,I have seen about a 30 percent improvement in dryer lint filters..Most new dryers have 5 or 10 gimmic features that no one ever uses. How about a multi stage filter that actually works plus an auto shut down that MAKES YES MAKES YOU CLEAN THE FILTER... Edwin Dirnbeck

never realized it was all that bad but instinct always told me to NEVER run my dryer and then leave the house... I have a gas dryer also which most likely even makes it more vulnerable to fires...

Comment

Originally posted by Edwin Dirnbeck View Post
      OFF TOPIC In the year 2021,why am I still cleaning my dryer vent?
      Because you are still washing your clothes?

How about a multi stage filter that actually works plus an auto shut down that MAKES YES MAKES YOU CLEAN THE FILTER?
      Electric dryers have one. If you run one with a clogged vent, the unit will overheat and trip the thermal overload.

Comment

You could always put a pilot light in there if you want to be absolutely sure.
        25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by SLK001 View Post

Because you are still washing your clothes?

Electric dryers have one. If you run one with a clogged vent, the unit will overheat and trip the thermal overload.
          Gas dryers also have "some sort" of overheat shut off,and yet we have fires. Edwin Dirnbeck

Comment

I just clean the lint filter/screen every other load or so. It could probably go for 4 or 5 loads, but I don't wait that long.

Comment

I think it's a great idea to have a system in place that makes you clean them at a predetermined safe threshold. Personally my gas dryer gets it's lint and duct screen/vent cleaned at each load. Amazing how much certain fabrics will shed on only one load. I couldn't see using it any other way, much safer and efficient.

Unfortunately a lot of folks don't and in spite of the safeguards already built in it isn't enough, since next to kitchen fires clothes dryer are a close second for causing house fires. While gas dryers have a much better safety record than electric dryers they could all be a bit more idiot poof. Tough job as there are lots of those out there.

AKB's suggestion of not using the dryer unless one is there is a good common sense approach to preventing a fire and one I strongly believe in. Unfortunately here too, like regular cleaning, this philosophy is not followed often enough.

I'll keep my own ass covered and my insurance rates rates will have to reflect the added cost for those that can't be bothered. But yeah there has to be a better way.
              Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
              Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

I've always cleaned my dryer's lint trap before every load. SOP.

Comment

If you do not clean the lint filter, it takes a lot longer to dry the clothes. Why would you NOT clean it?

But, the filter is probably NOT the cause, and NOT cleaning it may slightly reduce the incidence of fires.

The usual cause is lint build-up in the vent pipe, according to all data I have seen. And the big culprit there is the aluminum foil corrugated vent pipes. Any fire inside them will light them and then it's all over. Get steel stovepipe and that problem is not present.

And, no fire if nothing is present to burn. The lint filters are generally worthless screens that remove about 80% of the larger lint. The rest sticks in the pipe, or builds up one the outside vent head frame.

Once a coating of lint is on the filter, the efficiency of filtering probably goes up by a considerable amount, so less gets stuck in the pipe. More effective filters would probably obstruct flow just as much as a screen with some lint on it, requiring a higher power fan. They would just be "pre-clogged".

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

I just checked my dryer exhaust pipe. It's one of those plastic ones with a spiral wire in it to keep it from collapsing and I'm quite happy to have found it was quite clean inside in spite of being almost 40 years old.

Comment

Ummmm, zager and evans? I have no idea what that means. Can someone explain?

-js

There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Stewart View Post

-js
                        "In the year 2525"

It's all mind over matter.
                        If you don't mind, it don't matter.

Comment

Just tore apart the dryer I bought used 15 years ago, it had stopped spinning after squeaking loudly for a few days. Motor bearing had seized. The amount of lint, change and other debris that had escaped the drum and lint filter was astounding! Not to mention the compacted cake of lint blocking 1/2 of the lint filter duct (not accessible without disassembling the dryer). I just ordered $100 worth of rebuild parts (including the motor), which is more than I paid for the dryer. It's simpler than an air-cooled VW and it will keep running just as long. There have been no improvements to dryers that justify doing anything else.
                          It's all mind over matter.
                          If you don't mind, it don't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Stewart View Post

-js
                            Hmmmm ,how soon we forget song by Zager and Evans {IN THE YEAR 2525 EXORDIUM & TERMINUS) ,six weeks at no 1 spot Billboard Hot 100 1969.

Comment

Hmmmm ,how soon we forget song by Zager and Evans {IN THE YEAR 2525 EXORDIUM & TERMINUS) ,six weeks at no 1 spot Billboard Hot 100 1969.
                              Huh. In '69 I was living in the Haight and listening to San Francisco rock, much of it live. Jimi in the park, Airplane, Dead at Winterland and Fillmore.

Somehow I never ran across Z&E. Strange...

-js
                              There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

Working...
                              X