Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Gas tiller engine

Hey,
    Quit fiddling with the lathe to till up the garden. I have a 5hp enduro overhead valve engine. It gets running and within minute quits but gas continues to flow out of the carb of course screwing the ground where you want to plan. cut all controls off and you get it started again only to do the same damn thing over and over. Every three feet. What do I do short of lighting it on fire? Thanks in advance for the help Fred

Fred,

It sounds like the needle valve in the float chamber is not shutting off properly. Cleaning might fix it, though they're generally easy and inexpensive to replace. A leaky float that is letting the fuel level go too high is also a possiblity. If that were the only problem I would expect to see the fuel dribbling out even when the engine is not running, but it could be that vibration when running is just exacerbating the problem.

Jan
    "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

My guess is, there is some dirt or other object in the float bowel. The float could also be stuck. Remove the float bowel and clean every thing out. Check out the needle and seat.
      sorry for the repeat TGTOOL got there while was fumbling around typing
      Mel
      Last edited by lugnut; 04-29-2006, 01:14 PM.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
      Oregon Coast

Comment

thanks guys I will give it a wirl. Best regards Fred

Comment

Welll you can tell it is spring again, is this the 4th or 5th post on engines not running correctly?

Comment

Hey,
            took bowl off cleaned valve, ran through gass and carb cleaner. Redid it several times, same result. Gas just flows out the carb, damn thing running all along. Fire treatment may be what is needed.

Comment

Make sure the carb is secure to the intake. Check the head bolts . The most obvious; drain the old gas completely and refill with new gas.

Comment

Did you shake the float to be sure it's not full of gas? If the float has sprung a leak, it can't push the needle up into the seat to shut off the fuel flow.

Roger
                Last edited by winchman; 04-29-2006, 04:24 PM.
                Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Okay, that ought to respond to a logical analysis. With the float bowl off, hold the float itself up gently and turn the fuel on. If it's not shut off, the valve obviously is not up to the job and should be replaced. If it will shut off with very slight pressure lifting on the float, then it's time to see if the float doesn't float or if it's maladjusted. There are only two possibilites and the problem will be either or both of those.

Jan
                  "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

The shredder here has an old Tecumseh on it. Used to do that.

Problem was gunk in the gas, clogged up some jets, kept the inlet open. Not a float, it has a Lauson carb. But same thing, gas running out the air cleaner ontp the ground.

Cleaned it completely, took out welch plugs etc. Cleaned out the gas tank.
                    That did it.

It was little pieces of leaf powder that was the main problem.

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Comment

soak the carb and clean it extra extra good! I've recently found that those enduro engines are pretty sensitive to small carb problems as compared to the old flat head engines. Flathead b&s could run on diesel practically. Ok, well maybe not diesel but you get the point.

Comment

Check the needle for indentation where it contacts the seat. If it has that it will allow gas to leak by. They also get hard from sitting in the gas or what they call gas today more like a mixture of chemicals. If you do not use stabil over the winter it will get that way. Also if you totally drain them and they sit dry over the winter they also get hard. I have seen this so many times it is old news. A new needle and seat are the way to go if the float is ok.
                        Life Is Grand

Comment

Stay-bil works for me really well.

I don't have stock in it, and your results may vary.

Comment

One other item you might check is the muffler. I had a similar problem with a small engine that would start then die. Turns out the muffer was blocked up from rust and once the engine built up enough back pressure it would die. This had my limited patience nearly exhausted for a while.
                            Hal

Comment

After they've been sroed for a winter with gas in them, Tecumse's are known for water in the carb bowl.You can take the bowl off and dump it afte you've replaced the gas.

Comment

Working...
                              X