How to use this tiny unimat tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to use this tiny unimat tool

Sorry for bad photo, I got this with a unimat, the holder has a cutter/insert that has a grove down the middle, looking at the end it has a U or V. shape. I am not sure how to sharpen the bit or how to use it, as you can see the tool/bit holder has a slight offset angle. I am guessing the end of the bit should be squared off,
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Cutoff tool?

Comment

no it is 1/8 or 3/16 square with a vee grove down the length of the bit, right anf left edges are to a point and kind of sharpe. The little unimat would never be able to use a cutoff bit that thick

Comment

I have had and used a Unimat for over 50 years and can not identify that. Perhaps some type of special purpose tool?

Your photo seems to be a bit blurred and I don not know if it is from the top or the side. Perhaps if you could post some more photos from different angles and with better focus.
        Paul A.
        SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
        You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Maybe a grooving tool?

https://www.mcmaster.com/grooving-to...g-lathe-tools/

http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
          Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
          USA Maryland 21030

Comment

It is a parting tool

Comment

Oh, and it's indeed for use with a lantern style tool post. Good chance it was not with the lathe originally.

Comment

It would be sharpened like any other tool bit. Grind an angle on the front about 15 degrees if it doesn't already have one, a lot of square tool bit blanks do and put a 3 to 5 degree relief on either side. You can point it if desired or leave the end square for parting etc. You can put a different point on each end.

JL...........

Comment

I still have several of those items that I purchased with my unimat lathe. They were in the unimat catalog back in the day.
                  Glenn Bird

Comment

Going from a fading memory... If it serves me correctly, these tools were pre-ground to require only a minimum touch-up on the cutting edge/tip.There were two variants: one blue-painted & one red. One or the other was M2 steel(maybe?), the other is lost in my memory.

Comment

I put my glasses on and I still can't see it.

-D
                      DZER

Comment

"That's what she said".
                        DZER

Comment

I'd want to see better pictures which are sharp instead of blurred and see it from a few angles.

I don't think it is a parting tool. What looks to be the blade isn't held very securely. And certainly not securely enough to be used for parting cuts. But again, one very blurry view makes it hard to tell much of anything.
                          Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Well I just looked through my (two) Unimat user manuals and one catalog of accessories, and the closest matching thing I saw was what was termed a T-Bar tool rest (for wood turning). ...and that really wasn't a good match as best I can see from the OP photo.
                            But maybe it was intended for use in wood turning. Unimat catered to that as well as metal machining interests.
                            Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

They are Ededstaal brand tooling. Discussed previously here https://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/fo...tem#post246296 as well as other places on the web.

lg
                              no neat sig line
                              near Salem OR

Comment

Working...
                              X