Tiny score

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiny score

The daughter of a friend that passed several years ago was having a sale on the remains of his shop. I picked up a magnetic base lamp. $1.00. Damn near broke the bank.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

God you people are cheap.
    Pitiful.

-D
    DZER

Comment

I checked out what they cost new.😧 The nearest one I could find to the one I bought is over $80 US so I would gladly have paid twice as much for the one I have now.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

I bave probabky paid people I dont know , more than asking price..... and try to treat freinds even better..

Comment

I couldn't bring myself to do something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut View Post
            I checked out what they cost new.😧 The nearest one I could find to the one I bought is over $80 US so I would gladly have paid twice as much for the one I have now.
            The NOS Kennametal 3 flute Solid Carbide Drills I got are $305 for 1/2” and $365 for 5/8” paid $8 each and they leave a very smooth boreπŸ™‚

Comment

The daughter of a friend that passed several years ago was having a sale on the remains of his shop. I picked up a magnetic base lamp. $1.00. Damn near broke the bank.
              Originally posted by Doozer View Post
              God you people are cheap.
              Pitiful.

-D
              Was she looking for maximum money here, or was it more important to her that her dad's shop tools will be put to good use and appreciated rather than getting tossed into the bin?

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
                I bave probabky paid people I dont know , more than asking price..... and try to treat freinds even better..
                At an auction, I was interested in a rusty Greenfield #8 tap wrench that a scrap dealer had bought in a lot.
                I asked what he wanted. He told me that he wanted $5 for the tap wrench. I gave him $10 to be a nice guy.
                Well, then he gave me a bunch of king pin reamers, and wouldn't take any more for them. I felt good having
                offered him more money for the tap handle, as he then reciprocated with his generosity giving me the reamers.
                Talking further, turns out that he was a friend of a friend that we both had in common.
                It is always good to be known as generous.
                It is always detrimental to be known as cheap.
                Conduct your life as you see fit, but just my experience.
                But when you present yourself as being cheap,
                you consequently present yourself as being poor.
                That is not a club which I wishfully want to join.

-Doozer
                DZER

Comment

Its well worth being on good terms with a scrap dealer....

Comment

I'm betting the daughter of the person that passed was more interested in clearing out things she had no use for rather than trying to raise money. I'm also sure that if anyone responding went to a garage sale and found the same lamp for the same price they would have thought they got a great deal. The sale could have very well been for the same reasons, but the buyer wouldn't have known it.

Should my wife outlive me I'm sure the same thing will happen. She has no interest in the machines or the tools, and would ask rock bottom prices just to get them out of the house. As far as I know you can't take them with you so why begrudge someone who has interest in them and is willing to give them a new home. About the only other options are a wholesale dealer, a scrapper, or a landfill.

Comment

Originally posted by tom_d View Post

Was she looking for maximum money here, or was it more important to her that her dad's shop tools will be put to good use and appreciated rather than getting tossed into the bin?

Basically the house was sold and all the remaining tools and assorted bits (all the big stuff AKA: the good stuff had been sold off previously) had to go fast so things where priced to move. Most of it was going cheap and I don't think she cared much, she just wanted it gone. Everyone can put their hollyier than thou attitudes away.

Comment

So what.. does not mean you cant make the sellers day by giving them a tip, and making clear you appreciate havingsomething to remember your friend by..
                        but hey , yiu are known by your actions.... and while it may not be the case here.... people like it .. and remember you.....when you are nice...

Comment

When you pay the asking price for something, there can be no argument.

I have, however, paid more than asking for things, when I thought the price was too low, and the people were nice folks.

When it is a tag sale company, I pay asking and leave happy. They are supposed to know what things are worth around here, and if they set a price, who am I to argue with the professionals?

Keep eye on ball.
                          Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
                            So what.. does not mean you cant make the sellers day by giving them a tip, and making clear you appreciate havingsomething to remember your friend by..
                            but hey , yiu are known by your actions.... and while it may not be the case here.... people like it .. and remember you.....when you are nice...
                            Apparently you are not familiar with what "Getting a score" means on the forum. I'll enlighten you. It means getting a excellent deal on something, could be at an auction or off flea bay or at a garage sale like I did. It could be something small like my lamp or some big item like a lathe or a lot of smaller tools it doesn't really matter, it's just a score. I paid a dollar and rescued a lamp form the scrap heap. Nothing more. So put your angel wings back on, take your morality and fly off.

Comment

I am all for people getting a score.. and as I have said here a few times.. I will never say You Suck to someone who made a good score.
                              bringing in the dollar amount sounds more like bragging..
                              Many on here just say, I been loooking for one for a while.....or was glad to get it.. ... or I can make use of this...without the dollar figure..

Maybe its what you did nor say.. that irks people...

You lot can rest assured, that if I get something from someones estate that I knew... that I will probably mention how I appreciate the connection and the chance to have something to remember them by...
                              And if I dont.. you know Alzheimers or Dementia has set in..
                              Last edited by 754; 07-27-2021, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X