No announcement yet.

OT - Mental Heath

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tom S: My sympathies for your loss. I know these words are pretty hollow, but keep in mind there will be better days.

Sarge41

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post

I can understand how and see that in a way it might seem a rational decision for someone. Thing is, none of us are islands: we have a share a responsibility for those around us. Such an act doesn't factor in how awfully devastating it is to everyone around them, it can change and ruin the lives of those you care about. I think there would be a lot less holding one on the side of thinking straight if they had no one, although I've seen it happen also with successful family men. I guess you never know whats going on in someones head
      When someone is so far gone that they kill themselves they are beyond worrying about what it will do to others. Depression at this level can't really be understood by someone that hasn't gone through it. You might think that having a loving family around would be enough to keep someone grounded in a rational state of mind but it isn't. You have to understand that once you have gone that far off the rails your mind is not work the way other peoples do. That is why it is so hard for "normal" people to understand how someone could kill themselves.
      The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Well said LN and I think it's just as comparable to immense "out of your mind" physical pain in where it's just plain and simple looking for a quick exit,,,

and who knows what's beyond --- keep in mind were just looking at it from this side --- maybe all of them are looking back at us as "chumps" saying to each other OMG their still in misery,,, could be the biggest hoax of all - that were all hardwired to trudge through to the end only to find that the real learning and fun could have started 90 years earlier lol probably not - but again who knows...

Comment

I admire you for that. I hope your friend can overcome this.

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
          I’ve been helping a friend that suffers from crippling anxiety which leads to alcoholism and depression.
          Paul A.
          SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
          You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

I can very easily understand it, although I no longer think it is a good choice. Nobody should have to go through it, yet many do. {hugs}
            Very often, people feel there is no choice, the mentally box themselves in. They feel nobody cares, although sometimes they won't allow close-ness. I do not believe that there are no other choices, there is always a choice. I do not believe nobody cares. Somebody always cares. Very often people have to hit rock bottom before they start looking up -- and learning how to love themselves again. But not everyone makes it. Always take the time to listen and pass the time of day.
            25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Yes, YES, do take people seriously and BE there when they need you. Sometimes just one friendly word or just listening can be enough. But if it is obviously not helping, do intervene.

And if you find yourself in such a situation, DO seek help. From friends, family, and from professionals. There is more than one type of professional help that can be useful so do not despair after just one is consulted.
              Paul A.
              SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
              You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Tom S please talk to someone. I've been through this, You need to talk to someone, this wasn't you're fault. You couldn't have prevented it no matter what you may think. keep posting and venting, but talk to a professional and don't assume any blame for what happened. take care. let us know you are ok.
                san jose, ca. usa

Comment

I’ve been down near the point of checking out. I believe it had nothing to do with depression. I was tired and ashamed of being a burden for friends and family. They were tired of listening to my problems. Drugs helped me start to not give a ****, numbing my senses. It was a short term solution. The long term solution was learning a valuable trade, steady employment, and not being a burden to anyone anymore.

Mike L46, I’m glad you find enjoyment in something. “And the sons of engineers ride their fathers’ majic carpets made of steel.” Enjoy the ride.You’ve got me reading about fiat spiders. And as a fairly new rider I’d like to hear about your bikes one day.

And thank you Tom S for saying your bit.
                  -Roland
                  Last edited by rmcphearson; 07-29-2021, 10:06 AM.
                  -Roland
                  Golf Course Mechanic

Bedminster NJ

Comment

It makes one wonder if in allot of cases depression is somewhat of a "luxury",,,
                    just seems like we got a breakdown in the hundred's of specific types and names for it now, I know history has documented some of the main kinds but seems to me things are doing nothing but getting way worse, people were too occupied with just trying to stay alive back then for most of them to even give a thought about "conveniently checking out" in fact I believe it went totally 180 degree's against their hardwiring/instincts and now im not so sure....

Comment

Thanks for the sentiments and concern guys. I'm doing fine (for real), I've got a supportive wife and some good friends and a phone number to call if I need to talk to a professional.

Funeral is tomorrow, thankful the family can actually hold one and invite friends/family. A couple months ago that would not have been possible and would have made this much more difficult.

Stay safe guys.
                      Cayuga, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I'm sure there are different kinds of depression, but it seems that some are a chemical unbalance in the brain that just make it function differently. I have heard from some that medication helped restore the balance, but I knew a very smart woman with three young kids and a husband who ended her life. You just have to conclude that rational though will not function well enough to save you sometimes.
                        This discussion has shown once again that there's a lot of hardship around and you never really know what's going on behind peoples facade. Appreciate the people telling their story to show others they're not alone dealing with these things.

Comment

On a lighter note (well maybe not) I have an older brother that is a gem, he told me if I had a relapse/reaction from the original problem and it crippled me that he would move me into his house and feed me creamed corn and yams lol
                          I told him no way cuz what goes in must come out and he's not wiping my butt for me in fact nobody is,,, he said no freakin way he was going to hire out for that but if that won't work plan B was to have me engineer a butt wiper and he'd build it on my mill with my guidance,,,

I told him if it really gets that bad then im definitely opting out.... he said he understood but wanted me to know i still had the option... what a great guy...

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                            On a lighter note (well maybe not) I have an older brother that is a gem, he told me if I had a relapse/reaction from the original problem and it crippled me that he would move me into his house and feed me creamed corn and yams lol
                            I told him no way cuz what goes in must come out and he's not wiping my butt for me in fact nobody is,,, he said no freakin way he was going to hire out for that but if that won't work plan B was to have me engineer a butt wiper and he'd build it on my mill with my guidance,,,

I told him if it really gets that bad then im definitely opting out.... he said he understood but wanted me to know i still had the option... what a great guy...
                            2X72 butt grinder. (laughter is the best medicine)

Comment

Originally posted by Tom S View Post
                              Thanks for the sentiments and concern guys. I'm doing fine (for real), I've got a supportive wife and some good friends and a phone number to call if I need to talk to a professional.

Funeral is tomorrow, thankful the family can actually hold one and invite friends/family. A couple months ago that would not have been possible and would have made this much more difficult.

Stay safe guys.
                              Sorry to hear about your loss.. Im glad you posted it, that is the type of stuff that gets people talking and maybe, just maybe will help someone directly.

And lemme say, from first hand it isn't always noticeable and within any demographic.

When I was working I had to handle several, more than five suicides. The range of types of people were telling. ALL types. So keep your eyes and ears open. Even if it sounds like idle talk. Sometimes its not.

Thanks for the insight Tom... JR

Comment

Very sorry to hear about your loss. I lost my best friend to suicide, before the brain cancer could kill him. I had just arrived from out of town and was going to visit him the next day. It invalidated all his life insurance and his wife and kids lost their house as a result.

Then I had a young engineer working with me and the boss fired him because he was having a lot of personal problems, like his twin sister dying of a brain aneurism. He called and told me he found a new job and was doing well. Then the recruiter that got him the job called and told me he had killed himself!

Shortly before that I started up a plant in Washington state and was going home after 18 months for good. A young guy I was mentoring asked to speak to me before I left. He then related how his older brother had committed suicide, and his younger brother too! He told me that working with me had made him realize that you can feel good about yourself by doing your very best, even if no one else sees it. I visited the plant 8 years later. He had just finished a 5 year apprenticeship as a tool and die maker.

I started seeing psychiatrist when I was unhappy in my job and had no drive to get up off the couch at night. I take a mild antidepressant ever since. Happily quit my job and got the urge back to do things. The only bad part was I got fired from the new job after six years. I was on a jobsite, had forgotten my medicine for a couple days, and a coworker edited down a text message to make it look like I was harassing him. I should have waited a couple days and got him fired when I show the proof of the lie in person. My boss immediately believed the lie and texted others about me being a problem and I let him have both barrels, instead of the coworker.

So please, don't be afraid to ask for help. Lots of us have been there.

Comment

Working...
                                X