No announcement yet.

OT - Mental Heath

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry for your loss Tom. Have been through it(grieving) more than once. It just plain sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
      Thing is, none of us are islands: we have a share a responsibility for those around us. Such an act doesn't factor in how awfully devastating it is to everyone around them, it can change and ruin the lives of those you care about.
      Yes, because thats what everybody who is in so much pain that killing themselves seems like a good option should hear, "but think of how much a burden it would be on the people around you!".

Last time i had a glock barrel under my chin, lemme tell you, how much pain other people would be through was less of a concern when compared to the amount of pain those people put me through. The whole "suicide is selfish" sentiment is one of the most self-absorbed mindsets possible

Comment

Originally posted by epicfail48 View Post
        Last time i had a glock barrel under my chin, lemme tell you, how much pain other people would be through was less of a concern when compared to the amount of pain those people put me through. The whole "suicide is selfish" sentiment is one of the most self-absorbed mindsets possible
        That is it in a nut shell..

You can not put evry ones life in one example. One Shell. JR

Comment

Originally posted by epicfail48 View Post
          Yes, because thats what everybody who is in so much pain that killing themselves seems like a good option should hear, "but think of how much a burden it would be on the people around you!".

I'm hardly counseling, I'm discussing. Of course its a selfish act, its the definition of one....if you think selfish means doing something with little/no regard to how it affects others. Although obviously the person in that state isn't seeing it that way or relief from their pain is more important. Our lives are the only thing that we truly possess so there's the argument as to who but the individual should have a say....but, at the same time, none of us are islands and the damage to others is extreme. If most have thought about it at one time or another, then there's a gap, hopefully huge, between thinking about it and acting (fortunately). imo what I cite is important in making it hard to close that gap. For those that do, agreed its no longer a factor, past the event horizon to draw an analogy.. Your view may differ, but I suppose neither of us can produced a Doctor of Psychiatry degree so its amateur speculation on both our behalves.
          Last edited by Mcgyver; 07-30-2021, 11:09 AM.
          in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Most of us get "work hardened" after all we are carbon lifeforms right? seems for the most part the more we make it through the tougher we get but that's not a guarantee,

I think the biggest tragedy is youth and when they have no track record and nothing to fall back on and many take their own life from mere "hiccups" that would have just blown over in sometimes less than a week or whatever, simple stuff that seems like the end of the world to them due to it being the biggest thing they ever faced and seeming like there's no way out, and the guilt that the parents go through -talk about regrets - sometimes it's true if you could go back in time and maybe just have one simple talk it could get them on a lifelong course of never hitting that kinda low ever again - it really does kill off an entire family and it's extremely sad....

But again it's that hindsight being 20/20 thing, nobody has a crystal ball, and stuff can still happen even if someone was trying to pick up on all the signs to help someone else, the "survivors" need to remember that.... Don't put that kinda blame on yourself or it will destroy you.... it's not your fault.

Comment

Originally posted by ikdor View Post
              I'm sure there are different kinds of depression, but it seems that some are a chemical unbalance in the brain that just make it function differently. .
              There is the basic "down in the dumps" we all get and is a short term reaction to life kicking you in the nuts.

Manic Depressive - This is one of the worst, I believe an imbalance in the brain chemistry (don't quote me on this). Rapid mode swings severe depression.

Clinical Depression - This is what I have.😒 A reaction to a trigger, it can be food or medicine as an example, that induces severe depression, remove the trigger and you get back to normal. Stay off the trigger and your probably OK for good. .

There are probably many more kinds. Most are out of your control or they control you
              The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                I think the biggest tragedy is youth .
                Agreed. I also think the world is magnitudes tougher on them now. At a time when their sense of self (ego) is just forming and at its most fragile, everything they do or say is recorded and critiqued by the world. Then there's so much pressure so much earlier, to pick a career by 10 rather than 2nd year, get perfect grades or you're pooched, bullying at internet speed and so on.
                Last edited by Mcgyver; 07-30-2021, 11:18 AM.
                in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Working...
                X