No announcement yet.

Everything is difficult to get

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel bad for U.K. to Europe drivers, truckers are almost scum to the government, and cockroaches to the EU, no proper amenities for them, then they fix it by increasing the working day, it reminded me of Taylor’s experiments at the bell labs, barbaric
    thier pay is ****, thier life’s are mostly ****, not a job I’d want
    mark

Comment

I was just in Rural King (mid west farm store) and was surprised how many empty shelves there were, Not like it was long rows of them just random empty spots where they didn't have a supply of something.
      Mike
      Central Ohio, USA

Comment

Last year during one of the lockdowns in the UK with millions out of work or sitting out on my taxes all of 40 miles away they couldn't find anyone to pick do manual harvesting so flew in people from Eastern Europe. Also they said it was skilled work so nobody else knew how to do it. So next time you pick a strawberry congratulate yourself on you amazing abilities.

Comment

Baz, it is not just the UK, it seems the same everywhere.

Find out why so many are not actively looking for work...the US Government's count of the otherwise employable population that is "not in the workforce". These are the folks who are NOT part of the calculation of the US unemployment "rate". They never should have been excluded from the published unemployment rate. I tried to attach a chart from the Fed to illustrate.

As of the late July 2021 figures, there are 100,253,000 employable US persons not in prison or in the military, who are not looking for work. Fewer and fewer contributors are paying more and more to support a larger and larger group of non contributors.

And we wonder why we see more and more "Hiring all positions" signs popping up on almost all shops and businesses?

This imbalance is statistically not sustainable. It also has the now emerging impacts of product and service shortages, along with rampant inflation on what is still available.

Don't take my word for it, do a little research, and employ critical thinking.
          Attached Files
          S E Michigan

Comment

Many of those folks see little reason to go back to a "job" that pays minimum wage, and requires them to augment earnings with various welfare programs. Some workers simply died of covid and are not available anymore.

By the way, your VERY misleading graph purports to show the "non-working" number skyrocketing to many times the previous level.

However, the reality of the matter is, if you look at the scales, the number "shot upward" (LOL) from about 95,000 to 100,000. In other words, about 5%.

The graph is designed to shock people who have not got enough sense to look at the scale and realize that the graph is hugely expanded. It is intended to give the impression that hordes of people have quit working and that you are paying for them.

Nice try, though. That technique is widely used in propaganda. It's basically a way "to lie while technically telling the truth".
            Last edited by J Tiers; 07-29-2021, 12:06 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
              Doesn’t matter what it is, in my case, add Ford short blocks to the list. 351 Windsor’s…
              No one wants them.
              Cleveland are better.
              Len

Comment

Originally posted by QSIMDO View Post

No one wants them.
                Cleveland are better.
                True that

Shortages must be a localized thing.. Here on the west coast, So Cal there is no shortage of anything that I can tell (specially jobless lazy folks). Might be that we have one of the largest ports, dunno.

I could probably go find a 351 for you.. Umm, might be attached to a car RB JR

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                  Many of those folks see little reason to go back to a "job" that pays minimum wage, and requires them to augment earnings with various welfare programs. Some workers simply died of covid and are not available anymore.

By the way, your VERY misleading graph purports to show the "non-working" number skyrocketing to many times the previous level.

However, the reality of the matter is, if you look at the scales, the number "shot upward" (LOL) from about 95,000 to 100,000. In other words, about 5%.

The graph is designed to shock people who have not got enough sense to look at the scale and realize that the graph is hugely expanded. It is intended to give the impression that hordes of people have quit working and that you are paying for them.

Nice try, though. That technique is widely used in propaganda. It's basically a way "to lie while technically telling the truth".
                  Well said!! The welfare queens we will always have but the days of $8 an hour workers are gone forever. The welfare folks who DO Not want to work and they could are going to get evicted Saturday.

Try paying $15-$20 an hour and they will be available. A lot of factories shut down and a lot of this "stuff" comes from overseas. Un-employment here is at less than 4%. Heck even Walmart has seen the light, a living wage and free college for workers.
                  Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician - Fine Line Automation CNC 4x4 Router

Comment

There are many costs involved for those who would like to earn money at a job. If you don't have a car, it can be expensive or impractical and time consuming to use mass transit - and a car involves costs of licensing, maintenance, payments and insurance. There may be day care costs involved, and suitable work clothes. Homeless people have additional issues of hygiene as well as health care, addiction, education, criminal record, and physical and social disabilities. There are many such people who are unsuited for many jobs, such as handling food, cash, and valuables. I'd rather pay them enough to be reasonably comfortable at home on welfare, than risking disease or uncomfortable situations at jobs, and it's cheaper than putting them in prison.
                    http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                    Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                    USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Originally posted by wmgeorge View Post

Well said!! The welfare queens we will always have but the days of $8 an hour workers are gone forever. The welfare folks who DO Not want to work and they could are going to get evicted Saturday.

Try paying $15-$20 an hour and they will be available. A lot of factories shut down and a lot of this "stuff" comes from overseas. Un-employment here is at less than 4%. Heck even Walmart has seen the light, a living wage and free college for workers.
                      I’m up in Maine and everybody cannot find workers. Starting pay at most places is between 15 to 16/hour. This includes your Dunkin Donuts and McDonalds. People are freaking lazy with poor work ethic. None of these jobs will be properly staffed until the handouts end. It’s bad when I walk into any business and I’m asked if I know anyone that wants to work.

Comment

Originally posted by wmgeorge View Post

Yeah, I dont know much but that sounds a lil harsh. I cant assume to know every families situation.

I have worked two part time jobs at the same time to stiche them together. That was then, this is now is what Brownwyn tells me. When we are talking about our Son Jake.

I say get a second job while waiting for the school to open up. I get heckled over here lol.

The reality is there are jobs. How do you modivate the people to take the job. Its a process, that shouldnt take this long.... JR

Comment

Back in the day, starving to death was as good motivation as any. I’m for getting rid of all soup kitchens, and any other handout that doesn’t motivate people to be self sufficient. Where I live in Florida, soup kitchens attract the homeless, not fix anything.

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                            Back in the day, starving to death was as good motivation as any. I’m for getting rid of all soup kitchens, and any other handout that doesn’t motivate people to be self sufficient. Where I live in Florida, soup kitchens attract the homeless, not fix anything.
                            Yeah, Florida is were folks that dont want to live in doors go. Not so much..

Southern California is the mecha for where to go when it gets cold at night in the tent. So pick up from a north state and move south. Makes scence.

I dont blame anyone for doing that, I would have.

Hey, Cali is a nice place to live. Homeless or super wealthy,

Bummer is I dont fit that group.. JR

Comment

Heck I'm at 43 deg north and that ain't nearly enough... for years now, I've wanted to go someplace like northern Iowa or Minnesota
                              25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post

The reality is there are jobs. How do you modivate the people to take the job. Its a process, that shouldnt take this long.... JR
                                Hey, I'll give you a job. Pay is a dollar an hour.

You gonna take it?

Now, let's say you are very poor. The job is part time (they all seem to be), and is an hour away from you by the fastest public transit. You can't afford to move. The pay is a dollar an hour, public transit is 2 dollars each way, plus a dollar for a transfer, each way. They require you to be "on call", any time (lots of restaurant jobs do), so you have to have a 'phone.

You gonna take it?

Nobody will, because it actually costs them money to have the job.

Somewhere between there and $20 an hour there is a breakpoint where you at least do not LOSE money by working. Somewhere above that is a point where you can actually save some money.

And, no, saving money is NOT a "luxury", as you were about to say.

So, sure, you need to get a job.... just any job...... (not).

The way you motivate people to take a job is with money. A job is where you trade your time and effort for money. If the job does not pay enough, and you STILL have to be on welfare even though you are working (Walmart has been such a place), then that's a "decent job"?

If you think so, then you are a typical member of the privileged elite, or one of their servants.

Keep eye on ball.
                                Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

Working...
                                X