Affordable Way to Lift, Move, Transfer Heavy Rotary Tables & Vises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Affordable Way to Lift, Move, Transfer Heavy Rotary Tables & Vises

I didn't want to assemble my engine hoist every time I wanted to transfer my rotary table and/or Kurt vise to my mill. Since I lacked the space to store a large lift table, I found this alternative:

I purchased a 16 1/2" x 13 3/4" Durhand scissors lift table with a height range of 14" to 36". I added a 7" booster block out of 2x6s and plywood as shown in the photos. Six coats of polyurethane on the top helps items slide easily. A small rectangular piece screwed to the bottom of the block registers in a matching hole in the table top to keep it from sliding around.

Table cost around $175 with free shipping at: https://www.aosom.com/item/durhand-3...s~C30-009.html

To prevent the possibility of the lift table moving away from the mill during the transfer, I Installed two 3/8" diameter lag bolts with flat washers as shown. When the surfaces of the lift table and mill table are even, the lag bolt heads align with the .400" wide slot across the front of the Bridgeport table, and slide in place. They don't have to be tight -- they still hold the lift table securely in place.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9310.JPG
Views:	587
Size:	280.3 KB
ID:	1953552 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9307.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	303.1 KB
ID:	1953553 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9337.JPG
Views:	569
Size:	251.9 KB
ID:	1953554 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9340.JPG
Views:	565
Size:	311.1 KB
ID:	1953555 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9339.JPG
Views:	574
Size:	315.7 KB
ID:	1953556

Very nice. I need to do that as well. My back can't lift things like that anymore. Looks way more space efficient than a cherry picker. Can use it for a workbench too I'd guess.

Comment

I think there was a thread where someone put a small crane on the corner to lift things like lathe chucks into place.

Steve

Comment

A periodic coating of Teflon from a spray can will really help things slide.
        The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Tmate View Post
          ..........To prevent the possibility of the lift table moving away from the mill during the transfer, I Installed two 3/8" diameter lag bolts with flat washers as shown. When the surfaces of the lift table and mill table are even, the lag bolt heads align with the .400" wide slot across the front of the Bridgeport table, and slide in place. They don't have to be tight -- they still hold the lift table securely in place.........
          That's one excellent addition. 👍👍👍

Comment

Originally posted by Tmate View Post
            I didn't want to assemble my engine hoist every time I wanted to transfer my rotary table and/or Kurt vise to my mill. Since I lacked the space to store a large lift table, I found this alternative:

I purchased a 16 1/2" x 13 3/4" Durhand scissors lift table with a height range of 14" to 36". I added a 7" booster block out of 2x6s and plywood as shown in the photos. Six coats of polyurethane on the top helps items slide easily. A small rectangular piece screwed to the bottom of the block registers in a matching hole in the table top to keep it from sliding around.

Table cost around $175 with free shipping at: https://www.aosom.com/item/durhand-3...s~C30-009.html

To prevent the possibility of the lift table moving away from the mill during the transfer, I Installed two 3/8" diameter lag bolts with flat washers as shown. When the surfaces of the lift table and mill table are even, the lag bolt heads align with the .400" wide slot across the front of the Bridgeport table, and slide in place. They don't have to be tight -- they still hold the lift table securely in place.]
            Money well spent on injury prevention. Looks a little top heavy when full extended. Gotta be careful about chips and things on the floor interfering with the wheels when rolling about. That idea of having attach points that secure the table to the machine is the most clever one I've seen in a long time. Must remember that one!

Comment

Originally posted by tom_d View Post

Money well spent on injury prevention. Looks a little top heavy when full extended. Gotta be careful about chips and things on the floor interfering with the wheels when rolling about. That idea of having attach points that secure the table to the machine is the most clever one I've seen in a long time. Must remember that one!
              I agree about it being top heavy when extended with a load on it. I lower the table when moving it, and then raise it again.

Comment

Nicely done Tmate. You've added a fair amount of quality content to this forum in the short time you've been posting. Keep it up. Ron

Comment

I use a hospital person lift, can pick it up off the storage table and roll it to the Bridgeport and set it down.

Comment

Originally posted by 66vette View Post
                    I use a hospital person lift, can pick it up off the storage table and roll it to the Bridgeport and set it down.
                    Same here, easily lift 400+ pounds from the floor, breaks down into piece when not in use.

Comment

That is a lot of trouble to go through. Mine sits on a shelf which mounts to the mill. Just crank the table over next to it and slide the RT into place.

12" x 35" Logan 2557V lathe
                      Index "Super 55" mill
                      18" Vectrax vertical bandsaw
                      7" x 10" Vectrax mitering bandsaw
                      24" State disc sander

Comment

Originally posted by ezduzit View Post
                        That is a lot of trouble to go through. Mine sits on a shelf which mounts to the mill. Just crank the table over next to it and slide the RT into place.
                        Great idea, assuming you always leave the vise on the table, and use a particular rotary table exclusively.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Yuasa_Troyke.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	1954264

Comment

Working...
                        X