Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

O/T: My state of California has gone looney tunes with power usage restrictions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
    While I can't offer much help, I can say that I agree with most here. My brother and his family live there and quite frankly I dunno how they can stand it. That's why I'm always inviting people to check out my area instead.
    Just look at the real estate in the 716 area code, you'll be amazed. It costs 1/4 of what Cali costs, and you have all kinds of ethnicities, food, festivals, etc etc etc 4 seasons and all.
    New York is next in line from California for crazy laws/regulations. I moved from there (Rochester) just over 8 years ago to Anderson SC. A 30% difference in cost of living is just one benefit. Although I lived in NYS all my life, now that I have seen the differences, I have not even been back to visit nor have any desire to. I am still amazed just how many people locally I run into that are from New York, a fellow that works at Lowes used to live just a few blocks from me, he does not miss NYS either.

There has been a mass exodus from New York for quite a few years now. Back when I moved a LOT of the truck rental companies would not rent a truck one-way to the south because everyone moving out of New York was leaving them with no trucks available, they were all in the south. Now days, the truck rental places actually have to pay people just to drive trucks back north to resupply them, nobody is moving that way.

Yes, NYS has California beat, but that's not saying much.
    Last edited by Sparky_NY; 07-29-2021, 03:50 PM.

Comment

California is a dumpster fire. I have a buddy that offered me a job and practically begged me to move there when I was younger. Nope. There is no way in hell I would ever live there. New York, Oregon and several others are not far behind.

Comment

Fortunately, here in Michigan, Consumers Power has implemented a money saving scheme: shut off your A/C between 2 and 7 PM and you'll save the 1.5X cost of running it during those hours. IE: our normal $.18/Kwhr goes to $.27/Kwhr during those hours, so they recommend that you either shut down your A/C or turn the t'stat up during that period. Isn't that nice of them? It's bad enough that the $.18/Kwhr is already well above the national average.

When they finish decommissioning the plants that they've planned, including a huge one near Bay City, they'll no longer have enough base load capacity to satisfy their customers. I guess they're figuring on operating the same as California: buy the power from the neighbors.

Of course, they want us all to transition to EVs. I guess we'll charge them from unicorn farts. (although my Chevy Bolt EV doesn't have a charge port that accepts that flatulence, maybe the next model....)

Comment

California’s biggest products are fruits and nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
            A somewhat more informative and less alarmist article:

https://scifithrill.com/2021/07/29/i...n-controversy/
            Quote from article:

Basically, though, this act is a response to (among other things) a 2015 report from the Semiconductor Industry Association that found that “computing will not be sustainable by 2040, when the energy required for computing will exceed the estimated world’s energy production.”

Are these the same loons who have been prediction disaster for the last 50 years?

The ice age will be on us by 2000 (1971), we will all disappear from pollution in 20 years (1969), Ice age is coming fast (1974), no end in sight to 30 year cooling trend (1978), NY West Side Highway under water by 2019 (1989), snowfalls are a thing of the past (2000), Britain will be "Siberian" in less than 20 years (2004), in 5 to 10 years the Arctic will be free of summer ice (2008), in 10 years the north polar ice cap will be gone (2008), just 96 months to save the World (2008).....and on and on....Drama sells and makes people big $$$ and keeps "scientists" getting grants to predict further gloom and doom.

Humans have a remarkable way of adapting.

Last edited by polaraligned; 07-29-2021, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eKretz View Post
              Oregon and several others are not far behind.
              Why Oregon? While I have no desire to live there, a friend is considering a move to a somewhat rural area outside of Portland.

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post
                Oh, and I know how to wiggle my way around stupid rules and regulations. I have a 7kW solar system, tell me I cant use some electricity and Ill tell you to shove it where the Sun Shines JR
                I have a 5KW system (off grid) that went live in May. Today the heat index here was 102deg and tomorrow is supposed to be 105deg. Central AC feels even nicer when its free ! I am still grid connected but the whole house is on solar, the grid still powers my pole barn workshop, too many high wattage toys to make it worth doing there. I am total electric, no gas and last months bill was $20.80, expect this month to be about the same.

About a week or so ago the grid power went down and I didn't even know it happened for about 3 hours, everything in the house was running as normal. I realized it when I went out the the pole barn and couldn't get the electric overhead door to open.

Comment

California also will not allow you to collect rain water on your own property. Plain and simple, they rule like Communist dictators.

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post
                    ...............................I have a 7kW solar system, tell me I cant use some electricity and Ill tell you to shove it where the Sun Shines JR
                    You can't use some electricity!

Actually, you can't, because you surely have a grid-tied system, which means that by law, you cannot use your own generated electricity, you HAVE TO send it to the power company. In a power failure, you have "no juice" same as everyone else.

I have panels here, but I have no grid tie, so I can do whatever I want with them.

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

Why Oregon? While I have no desire to live there, a friend is considering a move to a somewhat rural area outside of Portland.
                      Oregon is run by Portland/Salem/Eugene. Politically speaking it is no different that Kali. It's 93% as nutty!

It's a beautiful state but I can't get out of it fast enough. The commies have taken over.

Tell your friend to look elsewhere!

Comment

Originally posted by Joel View Post
                        You mean world headquarters of "defund the police?" No thanks. Good luck to your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by polaraligned View Post
                          Quote from article:

Basically, though, this act is a response to (among other things) a 2015 report from the Semiconductor Industry Association that found that “computing will not be sustainable by 2040, when the energy required for computing will exceed the estimated world’s energy production.”.................................................. .
                          That is because no new power plants are being built, and nuclear and coal plants are shutting down . China is build a plant every day, that tells you who will have power.

Rich

Green Bay, WI

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                            California’s biggest products are fruits and nuts.
                            Used to be a joke that went something along the lines of: "yeah, California is like the worlds largest granola bar. Once they export the raisins all that's left are the fruits and the nuts!" 🤪

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                              California also will not allow you to collect rain water on your own property. Plain and simple, they rule like Communist dictators.
                              Not only is this false, California actually offers incentives to capture rainwater (Rainwater Capture Act of 2012).

Comment

Originally posted by tomato coupe View Post

Not only is this false, California actually offers incentives to capture rainwater (Rainwater Capture Act of 2012).
                                Oh, c'mon TC! There you go again quoting facts. Geez.

-js
                                There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

Working...
                                X