OT- Rain Gutters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT- Rain Gutters

What a pain. I was in Costco last week and saw these screens that go over the gutter to keep debris out. I've been in construction for many years, I've seen gutter guards specified many times. Each time, a sample was installed and tested. The local fire department is glad to comply. Typically, any significant water runs right over the screen and spills over.

I have been using a leaf blower, get on the roof often, and blow the gutters clean. Happens often in the fall, and spring with blossoms ans the like. But it seems to me, I would be there doing the same thing blowing off a screen too. It may be easier, but I'm still one the roof!

Anyone go through this?

The treats contributed by the squirrels and raccoons can add to gutter cleaning fun.

I have wondered how the various screen designs interact with snow and ice.

Comment

We have had a seamless aluminum system called Gutter Canopy on our home for around fifteen years now. No more cleaning. Snow and ice no problem, we have a lot of trees, no problem. The contractor was great, each piece is custom made on site, my only complaint is that in a really heavy rain the water tends to fly right over the gutter, but overall we're really happy with these gutters.

Jerry

Comment

I had LEAFGUARD GUTTERS installed about 16 years ago. They DONT USE SCREENS. They cost about 3 times more than any others. I am surrounded by maple trees that give off helicopter seeds and fuzz. Screens would clog up in ONE DAY. LEAFGUARD GUTTERS HAVE BEEN WORKING PERFECT FOR 16 YEARS. END OF COMMENTS. Edwin Dirnbeck

Comment

Another plus for Leafguard, 8 years. I have many mature White Oaks close to the house.
          Bob, 71193, Central Arkansas

Comment

Another for Leafguard--expensive as heck but well worth it to me and all the pine trees around the house. Pine needles are a real pain in the butt, every spring I have to pick up needles about 3" thick around most of the pine trees. I really dislike pine trees and pine needles.

Comment

We have had a foam type filler in some of the gutters for several years, and it works well. Has kept problems with maple whirlies and leaves, etc from being an issue. The lower ones which do not have it do clog. I need to put it in there also.

Problem is that nobody seems to make the fine screens for copper cutters.
              CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

We have mesh screens on all the gutters and I have regretted it for years. Although the screens may keep out the leaves and some of the pine needles they cannot keep out the dust, dust which gets washed off the roof and into the gutters where it collects as mud. It is impossible to clear out the mud with the screens in place so every year I have the chore of unscrewing the screens (hundreds of self tappers), hosing out the mud then replacing the screens.

I have not seen any type of gutter guard that is not more trouble than it is worth.

Comment

I have these bristle wire gutter things, they just get pushed into the gutter, I regularly get winds up to 80 mph ( makes sleeping in the loft bedrooms difficult) and they haven’t blown out with no fixings
                  mark

Comment

Built our house in 1976 no gutters due to height and pine trees nearby, keeping clean would have been a problem. 2006 remodeled & new roof, added Leafguard gutters. 15 years later they have never clogged. Cost more than others, well worth it.

Boats

Comment

Both leafgaurd and gutter helmet operate on the principal of "surface tension" in which the water will follow the curvature of the smooth arc'ed metal even to the point of defying gravity and or momentum of the liquid itself,,, I think it's a good sound way of dealing with things as the bigger objects will not "conform" and will be ejected...

that being said - im surrounded by elms, and I have coarse plastic screens - they allow ALL water in and keep leaves out but they still accumulate all the small debris like shingle grains and small breakdown of particulates so I still have to clean my gutters every year ---- I do believe id have to even do this with leaf guard or gutter helmet due to them not being able to "eject" small particulates,,, only difference is at least they don't have course grids that hold small twigs and stuff - I also have to pull them out from time to time...

iv had my coarse grids in for about 20 years - not perfect but dirt cheap and most gutters are made for them to be installed in seconds...

Comment

I'm in the PNW and have the wire mesh gutter covers. For me they work great. Maybe we have enough rain to flush the gutters and to wash debris off the mesh. The huge pine near the shop could 1/4 fill the gutters in a month. Nothing since I installed the mesh covers. I'm happy with them. Still not cheap, maybe $1/ft, but no more gutter cleaning. Your results may vary.

Mike

Comment

We had the screen type gutter guards installed a number of years ago. Our neighbors have some large fir tress up wind of us and the needles all land on our roof and then get down on the screens and plug them up. Once they get wet they seem to all stick together into a mat on top of the screens. This requires getting up there and cleaning them off. Not very impressed. Don't know what would work with these fir needles which are quite a bit smaller than pine needles.
                          Larry - west coast of Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cuttings View Post
                            We had the screen type gutter guards installed a number of years ago. Our neighbors have some large fir tress up wind of us and the needles all land on our roof and then get down on the screens and plug them up. Once they get wet they seem to all stick together into a mat on top of the screens. This requires getting up there and cleaning them off. Not very impressed. Don't know what would work with these fir needles which are quite a bit smaller than pine needles.
                            There's no perfect solution for everyone but certain circumstances some are better then others for sure... Even gutter helmet and leafgaurd have their pit falls, just as their system "tricks" the debris from using surface tension the same debris can glide in with it --- take the pine/fir needles your talking about --- going over length wise they will get separated and "ousted" from the water,
                            but going over the "spill" sideways they will also cling to the surface tension of the water itself and follow it right into the gutter --- same with cotton wood fibers and all kinds of other crap.... even very soggy pliable leaves,,, but for the most part allot of stuff that normally gives problems gets ejected...

Comment

I get a double whammy every spring from the pine trees, and the results of the moron that built my house on a concrete slab, with the front side of the garage 18" below grade. If I am late with blowing out the gutters, the downspouts get plugged, the gutter overflows, and water percolates down to the footer and through the wall flooding the garage floor. Gutter guards are not effective against long leaf pine needles and the thousands of little worm looking things that the trees drop after blooming. I failed to notice the below grade issue when I bought the place 42 years ago or would have passed on the deal. In my defense, the contractor planted Azaleas along the garage wall which sort of hid the problem area.
                              “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

Working...
                              X