X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear cutting question

I need three gears 20 DP 14 1/2 PA
    two 90 tooth and one 22 tooth.
    Question???? do I need two cutters or will one work for not so perfect gears
    cutter #5 = 21 - 25
    cutter # 2 = 55 - 134

If one will work which one
    these are fairly low speed gears
    George from Conyers Ga.
    Remember
    The early bird gets the worm, BUT it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Kinda scared to admit it here but I've done it. I'd use the #2 cutter.
    You can't use the proper spacing for the gears that is called for though. You have to use a little "windage" on them or they bind up or are too loose.
    We'd all think nothing if driving something with a sloppy old chain and sprockets so why not a bit off a loose fitting gear on an application like this?
    Russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Thanks Russ,
      sort of what I was thinking
      George from Conyers Ga.
      Remember

Comment

George,
        What Russ says, at 20 DP there isn't a lot of difference as regards interferance.

Shows them geometrically drawn.
        The red gear is your 22 tooth cut to the correct depth of 0.108"
        The white gear is a correct 90 t also cut to 0.108" with a No. 2 cutter.

The blue gear [ bottom ] is a 90 T cut with the No 5 cutter also to correct depth of 0.108". Note the sight interference if you can between the blue and red teeth.

The Black gear [ top ] is the same No 5 cutter gear but this time cut to 0.113" deep and this has just the right amount of clearance.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Sir John,
          Once again clear as mud ( not unusal for me)

one cutter #5

22t cut to depth of .108

90T cut to depth of .113

Thanks for the reply
          George from Conyers Ga.
          Remember

Comment

Working...
          X