Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trimming Mushroom tops in Striking Tools.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trimming Mushroom tops in Striking Tools.

I am sure there are a few srories,, i will relate a local one.
    A guy was working in a building beside my shop long ago.... as he struck the chisel a piece broke off and went thru his pants ... into his nutsack..
    So I am at a buddies place watching him work and I spot a tool with mushroom cap.. and I warn him to remove it sooner than later.... and then I tell him the story and he laughs and laughs..
    and I get a bit choked and say I am trying to teach you something.. and I ask him.. How would you like to be standing in Emergency, with shrapnel in yer bag... and then have to explain to reception why you are there... with other people in earshot... Would you still find it hilarious then ?..
    Last edited by 754; 07-30-2021, 05:14 PM.

Priceless. !!!

JL.......,

Comment

Just like the 'crown jewels'
      I have tools I don't know how to use!!

Comment

Yeah lots of energy in a hammer blow, great when it goes where it's supposed to, not so good when it doesn't.

Long time ago I was working in an automotive repair shop. We used to change quite a few outer rear axle wheel bearings. Most of these were pressed on and in order to remove them quickly with the minimum amount of time and tools we would just toss a rag over the bearing while buddy held the axle's bearing on an anvil. Then one of us would give that bearing a real hard smack with a big fricken hammer. The outer race would explode and the it was quick work with a torch to heat the inner race which would then slide off.

We did quite a few of these and got pretty fast changing them with no drama.
        The last one we did that way went a little different.
        The hammer came down and the bearing's outer race exploded under the rag as usual, but this time we both heard a noise across the shop. We both stopped to have a look to see a shelf holding metal quart engine oil cans bleeding badly. A piece of bearing shrapnel had complete penetrated both sides of one can and lodged itself halfway into the second one. Luckily only two cans were mortally wounded that day. I don't think a .22 shell would have gone much further!

The only safety gear either of us had on at the time was a dumb look!
        We did learn though from that episode, as it was the last time for the quick and dirty method.
        Sometimes we aren't lucky enough to get a second chance.
        Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
        Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

A while back I hit a hardened shaft with a hammer. I knew better. A small piece came off and stuck in My tee shirt. I thought YaYaYa. Hit the shaft again and a piece about 1/8" at the most went through My shirt and about 1/2 of it stuck in Me. Not worth the telling except it had a small hook on the end and was a bother to get out. I learned to pay attention to warnings.
          mark costello-Low speed steel

Comment

I don't have any horror stories to share, but I do notice when working with hammer and chisel that the chips smoke when they fly off. That's enough of a warning for me, at least

Comment

I was having the front axles done on my Civic. The shop's press was out of commission, so the mechanic took it home to use his press. He came back about half an hour later, minus one front tooth.

Sh*t happens, expect it, prepare for it.
              It's all mind over matter.
              If you don't mind, it don't matter.

Comment

I've got a chip inside of my bicep from a punch that I can stick a magnet to. Been there for about 20 years.

Comment

Might play havoc if you get an MRI!
                  http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                  Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                  USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Never hit a hardened punch or anything else with a hammer. Use a BRASS or COPPER hammer

Comment

Years ago I was hammering some drive in ditcher teeth on the old wheel ditcher. I had safety glasses on there was inspectors and bosses around.
                      I hit one and it chipped off cutting me between my lower lip and chin. It bled pretty good, didn’t think too much about it it healed up quick.
                      later I could feel a lump with my tongue, 6 months later I kept fooling with it with my tongue and the piece of ditcher tooth came to surface inside of my mouth.
                      never did hurt much.

Comment

Originally posted by true temper View Post
                        Years ago I was hammering some drive in ditcher teeth on the old wheel ditcher. I had safety glasses on there was inspectors and bosses around.
                        I hit one and it chipped off cutting me between my lower lip and chin. It bled pretty good, didn’t think too much about it it healed up quick.
                        later I could feel a lump with my tongue, 6 months later I kept fooling with it with my tongue and the piece of ditcher tooth came to surface inside of my mouth.
                        never did hurt much.
                        Hahaa! That was a good one. Glad it came out.

Some slivers dont, Red Wood. Stainlesssteel and others..

When you talked about it reminded me of articles where there was either cactuse and or sea erchins?

Oh, I only say funny because I have a small ball of metal that has been trying to rise to the top of my thigh. Been there for years. JR

Comment

Mushroom heads are really dangerous I agree, I use a lot of chisels, bolsters and punches, some are more prone than others, these days I heat the mushroom with a cutting torch and re-forge on the anvil, works good, and the tool doesn’t end up shrinking, i belted a drill bit once, it shattered (skf wouldn’t you know) a bit of shrapnel went right through my hand, must have had some energy
                          mark

Comment

About 30 years ago me and a riding buddy were dicing it on a climb, we were always duking it out on the trails and just about every steep climb was "game on" time full tilt sprints with everything you got to shut the other guy down, mountain bikes are such that you can never shift under pressure with the front chain rings, but you sure can "ram jam" gears with the rear cluster,,,

So here we are tossing rocks out the back tires rocking our bikes back and forth like a couple of zombies --- I go to grab another gear under extreme pressure and here a loud POP!!! Followed immediately after by him yelling out "what the fuque dude" still we both did not want to give up the climb, get to the top and here his calf is bleeding off to the side,,, he pulls out a chunk of "something" we really could not figure out what it was at first,,, then I examine it and say "hey wait a minute" look at my hardened gear cluster and on one of the sprockets about 1/3rd of a tooth was missing lol crazy times...

For years id always tease him about that --- id say "you know why my rear cluster was lined up with your crankset don't you?" --- "it's because you were sucking hind tit in the climb" lol
                            Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 07-31-2021, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Cold chisels and punches are a regular part of my life on the job, so I'm kinda particular about keeping them dressed. I usually just grind a bevel on the end.

On a somewhat related note, can anyone tell me the proper name for the old style of air hammer or jack-hammer bit?
                              The shanks were usually octagonal with a smaller diameter round near the struck end. Usually had a flat milled in it for some kind of retainer.
                              Whatever kind of steel those old bits were made of, is the best stuff I ever used for chisels.
                              Had one that I made in 1996 or so, only been sharpened once in all this time.
                              I'm looking for these old jack hammer shanks to make some more chisels and punches.
                              25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Working...
                              X