Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trimming Mushroom tops in Striking Tools.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Forest
    replied
    Originally posted by Doozer View Post
    Telling somebody what to do is always a mistake.
    Just because it is under the category of safety does not make it OK.
    Great way to make enemies.
    I never tell people what to do.
    I might ask if they feel safe doing the task the way that they are
    in the form of a question. But if I get any push back, I just drop it.
    I said my peace. What ever happens is on them.
    Even if I had said nothing, it was still always on them.
    People need to respect other people's right to do what they want.
    Even if it is dangerous. If they are ignorant, educate them.
    That is all you can do. Else you risk making an enemy, because
    you are overstepping your boundaries.
    This is something I learned early, growing up in life.
    Some people have still not learned it.
    Stop with this safety crap. Seriously. Stop butting into other people's
    business. The propaganda that "Safety is every bodies responsibility"
    is just cooperate insurance company crap. It is propaganda designed
    to save the company owner money.

Just like this public covid mask wearing mandates as of lately.
    I was discussing with a friend of mine, and he was saying it was for the
    "common good". I agree with that. But it is ALSO a violation of personal
    freedom. It can be both, you know, is what I told him. It does not have
    to be one or the other. He actually agreed with me.

I actually have a piece of a cold chisel embedded in the palm of my hand.
    Yes you can stick a magnet to my palm. No it does not interfere with an
    MRI machine. No it does not bother me. It bled like son of a bitch when it
    happened, and I did not know it was in there. Life goes on. I don't sweat it.

--Doozer
    This is the most hilarious post you have made! Don't tell people what to do yet here you are telling us not to tell people what to do.

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

I thank god every day for my new job
    because my old one was just like yours
    nobody gave a crap about the company
    it was all just rats out for themselves
    Im very happy for you, nobody should have to show up every morning and be expected to work like that, iv dabbled in places like that just enough to get a sour taste for it and then move on...

for the most part iv generated my own income when I needed it, but early on was not "established" so had to work for others, like anyone learning a trade way early on I needed guidance but picked things up very fast, then after awhile I got good enough to know what was what for the most part, most were very good and realized right off that the best thing they could do for both me and their business was to turn me loose, but a few could not do that - would try to micro manage me and in doing so slit their own throat, there's nothing more frustrating then having someone tell you that you have to do stuff incorrectly just because their stubborn pride cannot except the fact that someone who works for them knows how to do stuff more efficiently and effectively...

I have disobeyed direct orders and because of that found out the true cause of the malfunction(s) where as if I did it their way would have done nothing but never find or repeat the same mistake and cost the shop/customer thousands,,, it's done everything from almost getting me canned to one great bossman realizing what it took for me to do so - not saying a word - leaving the building and coming back with a trophy/award for me lol

This has jogged a precious funny memory from long long ago --- in fact I was in my late teens, there was a father and son shop (auto repair) and i applied for a job and they hired me on, the old man was harsh stubborn and a total penny pincher - the "kid"(probably mid 30's) had most all the same qualities, still - they had put me on so I was appreciative for the opportunity and stuff like that did not bug me as much when I was younger, I just adapted and went with the flow and tried to always do my best for people who trusted me enough to hire me to begin with,

so anyways first week or two I was there --- one day the son (who wore glasses and had medium long blond hair) was "bench testing" a torque converter on the workbench with compressed air but fully filled with ATF, he was looking for leaks, he had a series of hoses connected to the "mouth" of the converter and was introducing compressed air with the air-gun at the reduced size hose end,,, I forget what method he was using to control the pressure (if any) and what the shop tank was set at, but I remember walking past the "rig" a few times whilst going to get hand tools for a job I was working on and noticing his large diameter hose with sprinkler clamp was "migrating" off of the TC's mouth,

it was my second take while passing on the way back just to make sure I was not seeing things and sure enough it had moved even more, I stopped and mentioned it too him, "hey - that large diameter hose is working its way off"
    Of course he could not accept the fact that I noticed this just at a glance as he was standing right in front of it --- so his reply was something like "You need to focus on your water pump job, that should have been already done"

That's when I started taking the long way around to the hand tools when I needed one or needed to put one back lol not another peep out of me and in fact kinda just let it go, could not have been but a couple minutes later I hear a loud "BOOM!!!" I look over and here's his glasses falling back down after taking flight off of his melon, he turns and looks at me and it was one of the funniest damn things Iv ever seen, he looked like an instant "punk rocker" with his blond hair totally "spiked" straight up in the air from the ATF blowing it up and having enough body to leave it like that, to add insult to injury the ceiling that got soaked was now raining down ATF onto the top of his head,,,

I kept my best poker face on - not a snicker or smirk, he immediately went and got a shop rag and was trying to blow the ATF back out of his sinuses because they must have taken an incredible douching lol

It's people like that - that are actually teachers if you pay attention, I always listen to others observations and suggestions lol

Leave a comment:

• JRouche
    replied
    I work in a place where there are no team players.
    Maybe on the surface, but deep down everybody
    is in it for themselves. It is a cut throat environment
    where everyone is looking to have a problem with
    something. I say nothing and keep my azz clean.

-D
    Well, that ****in sucks man.

The part about there is no one out for your back. Thats screwed up.

Yeah, I know, what about the Union? Im a Union guys so there is that. Doesnt sound like that was a Union Job.

Sucks but yer co workers should have had your back.

I always supported everyone I ever worked with. Just the way I am.JR

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied

thats the reason why I prefer to live as far out in the corn as possible, with my cats, because I don't really like humans. I have learned how to tolerate and adapt, however.
    Ther is much in that........

But I have found a few very tolerable humans. I keep one of them around.............

Leave a comment:

• nickel-city-fab
    replied

-D
    I thank god every day for my new job
    because my old one was just like yours
    nobody gave a crap about the company
    it was all just rats out for themselves

Leave a comment:

• Doozer
    replied

thats the reason why I prefer to live as far out in the corn as possible, with my cats, because I don't really like humans. I have learned how to tolerate and adapt, however.
    We have this in common.

-D

Leave a comment:

• nickel-city-fab
    replied
    Originally posted by 754 View Post
    There are team players... and non team players... one is more dangerous ..

Leave a comment:

• Doozer
    replied

-D

Leave a comment:

replied
    There are team players... and non team players... one is more dangerous ..

Leave a comment:

• nickel-city-fab
    replied
    Where I'm at, its a pretty close-knit bunch. Literally like family. Our shop is very small relative to the size of the machinery, and one wrong move can ruin it for everyone. So nobody takes it personal if you need to be reminded of something, because it goes both ways. We all watch out for each other because we're all in it together. Being a maintenance shop dealing in heavy machinery, there's always a ton of pressure on us to get it done, so we keep it pretty light-hearted and laugh whenever we can.

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    Originally posted by Arcane View Post

I'm a Journeyman Lineman with 35 years of line experience with the provincial electrical utility. Doing it "your way" would have been a sure fire way to get my fellow workers and/or myself seriously hurt or killed.
    One of my old bossman was a class act, and this is the fact that he was the boss and could actually do anything he wanted, but when he knew of a better or safer way he would simply ask you "may i offer a suggestion?"

it's hard to imagine a co-worker coming unglued over something like that --- and yeah maybe if we want to get a point across we should not have to coddle someone to that degree, but point being is there's ways of showing someone "how it's done" without ruffling their feathers too much if at all...
    and if it still happens they probably should be canned just because it does take at least a little bit of ability to work with others to entertain the thought of having a job to begin with....

Leave a comment:

• Arcane
    replied
    Telling somebody what to do is always a mistake.
    Just because it is under the category of safety does not make it OK..........
    I'm a Journeyman Lineman with 35 years of line experience with the provincial electrical utility. Doing it "your way" would have been a sure fire way to get my fellow workers and/or myself seriously hurt or killed.

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    I am just trying not to get shot in the head.

-Doozer
    lol can't argue with that lol

Leave a comment:

• Doozer
    replied
    Joel-
    I do not own a business with employees and I am not the boss.
    I am an engineer and I have co-workers.
    My primary focus is on getting along with others.
    If you are the boss or owner, you focus on safety is going
    to be different. You write the check, you make the rules.
    I don't write the check. I am just trying not to get shot in the head.

-Doozer

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    Originally posted by Willy View Post

That ignorant coworker could have been me. Fortunately my ignorance was cured by insight and luck.

Far easier this way than listening to the doctors at the hospitable telling you than you've lost the vision to one or both of your eyes!
    I've always found it a responsibility to tell others that what they are doing is wrong or unsafe and why. I certainly can't force them to change but I'd feel like hell if I said nothing and they were injured. Seen way too much of this and so much of it should have been preventable.

When someone tells me I'm doing something stupid and why I listen. I know that I wasn't born with the experience of a hundred others that preceded me. Why not learn from their mistakes.
    Well stated Willy --- im always keeping my ears open to learn and even thanking the individual afterwords, also always pointing out potential dangers,,,

these new "all time" all wheel drives are a good example,,, I always try to be aware of getting the front end up on jack stands and getting under one, if it's an automatic make sure it's in park - if it's a manual make damn sure it's in neutral with the parking brake on,,,

All it takes is once,,, working on stuff down there you never know when you could engage the starter - with the manual tranny you would be toast....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X