X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doozer
    replied
    Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
    I've noticed that as well and it kind of threw me. The seals actually measure a few thou over the bore dimension so they seal tightly but didn't expect them to be listed by that size.

I don't believe all mfg.'s list their seal sizes that way.

JL...............
    I know. This internet searching stuff is handy for sure,
    but if I would have had a PAPER copy of a seal interchange book
    I would have seen the list of sizes down a column and noted the
    size identification scheme they chose to use.
    When you use a search engine, you can't tell squat.
    I treasure paper catalogues for that reason.
    Most people can't be bothered.
    But I have learned SO MUCH from paper catalogues.
    That is why McMaster Carr catalogues are so in demand.

--Doozer

Leave a comment:

• JoeLee
    replied
    Originally posted by Doozer View Post
    Just something I ran into when searching various web sites when seeking an oil seal ....
    I was looking for a seal with 1.750" OD. Well I was coming up with very few matches that
    had all my needed dimensions. Then some how I found a bunch of seals when I entered
    1.753" as my OD dimension.
    So hot tip I guess.... Seals are listed by actual seal OD size, not the bore they are supposed
    to fit into.
    ?? Is this true ??
    I did find 1 or 2 seals listed as 1.750" OD, but I found like 20 of them listed with the 1.753" OD
    dimension. Seems odd to me to list oil seals by actual measured size than the bore size they
    were intended to fit into.
    Any one else experience this ? ?

--D
    I've noticed that as well and it kind of threw me. The seals actually measure a few thou over the bore dimension so they seal tightly but didn't expect them to be listed by that size.

I don't believe all mfg.'s list their seal sizes that way.

JL...............

Leave a comment:

• Captain K
    replied
    http://www2.chicago-rawhide.com/popu...kup_457010.htm

CR seal lookup by size, for future reference. Note SkF owns CR and Timken owns national. In general they still use CR/ National numbers.

Leave a comment:

• nickel-city-fab
    replied
    ZOMG you too ????
    (tell them you know the difference between apparent slip and real slip in motor applications)

(the trick is to ask them who Ram trucks are built by)
    parts stores nowadays are completely useless, try buying a belt without having a year make and model then tell them is for a non-automotive application. Watch the brains asplode.
    All those stores are for, is for weekend parts-changers serviced by sales droids who have to fill in a database field.

(seriously, on the truck parts, I've been having better luck on craig list lately)

I prefer cats -- they're more logical than humans, and cleaner too.

And I am tired of having people try and correct me when I refer to an 1800 or 3600 rpm motor.
    I know the tag says 1750 or 1725. It is still am 1800 rpm motor. Stop trying to correct me.

Another thing, I am looking for parts for a Dodge pickup. Not a Ram. A Dodge.
    I don't care if Dodge changed where the money goes, and call themselves Ram.
    It is a Dodge. When it was built, it is a Dodge. Still is a Dodge. Just because your parts computer
    says Ram, does not make it a Ram. It is a Dodge. STOP trying to correct me. I know what I am
    talking about. Don't try to tell me my business or I will take my business elsewhere.
    I hate people.

-D

Leave a comment:

• Doozer
    replied
    And I am tired of having people try and correct me when I refer to an 1800 or 3600 rpm motor.
    I know the tag says 1750 or 1725. It is still am 1800 rpm motor. Stop trying to correct me.

Another thing, I am looking for parts for a Dodge pickup. Not a Ram. A Dodge.
    I don't care if Dodge changed where the money goes, and call themselves Ram.
    It is a Dodge. When it was built, it is a Dodge. Still is a Dodge. Just because your parts computer
    says Ram, does not make it a Ram. It is a Dodge. STOP trying to correct me. I know what I am
    talking about. Don't try to tell me my business or I will take my business elsewhere.
    I hate people.

-D

Leave a comment:

• nickel-city-fab
    replied
    Yeah, I had the same thing when I was looking for freeze plugs. AKA soft plugs or welch plugs.
    Nope, you're not going nuts, it's a real phenomenon.

Just something I ran into when searching various web sites when seeking an oil seal ....
    I was looking for a seal with 1.750" OD. Well I was coming up with very few matches that
    had all my needed dimensions. Then some how I found a bunch of seals when I entered
    So hot tip I guess.... Seals are listed by actual seal OD size, not the bore they are supposed
    to fit into.
    ?? Is this true ??
    I did find 1 or 2 seals listed as 1.750" OD, but I found like 20 of them listed with the 1.753" OD
    dimension. Seems odd to me to list oil seals by actual measured size than the bore size they

--D

Leave a comment:

• Doozer
    replied
    to fit into.
    ?? Is this true ??

--D

Leave a comment:

• JoeLee
    replied
    Originally posted by Willy View Post
    After looking at the 7410 SKF oil seal that Captain K found and your compressor, I thought it all looked too familiar.
    I have a Speedaire twin cyl. compressor that I bought new in the late 70s that I had to replace the oil seal on shortly after I got it, probably about 1980 I think. Got to looking at my seal collection and I still have a couple of the National replacements. The National seal I put in at the time is still working great after all these years so I never needed the extras.

If I remember correctly I sourced them at the time from an automotive parts supplier in Hooterville Canada, so if I can get them from a hick town auto parts store you shouldn't have too much trouble sourcing them locally.
    Of course that was 40 some years ago when folks actually fixed things and having a working inventory wasn't considered bad business practice.
    I went back to straight 30 weight non detergent oil, ran it hard all day yesterday and I don't see any seepage. I can't believe switching to straight 30 made all the difference.

Parts stores don't stock much anymore like they used to. Neither do the hard ware stores, what's left of them. No industry left.

JL................

Leave a comment:

• Willy
    replied
    After looking at the 7410 SKF oil seal that Captain K found and your compressor, I thought it all looked too familiar.
    I have a Speedaire twin cyl. compressor that I bought new in the late 70s that I had to replace the oil seal on shortly after I got it, probably about 1980 I think. Got to looking at my seal collection and I still have a couple of the National replacements. The National seal I put in at the time is still working great after all these years so I never needed the extras.

If I remember correctly I sourced them at the time from an automotive parts supplier in Hooterville Canada, so if I can get them from a hick town auto parts store you shouldn't have too much trouble sourcing them locally.
    Of course that was 40 some years ago when folks actually fixed things and having a working inventory wasn't considered bad business practice.

Leave a comment:

• JoeLee
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain K View Post
    Glad to help. My apologies if my last response was too snarky.
    No problem. I was also able to cross the SKF to a National. Only problem, no one locally stocks it. I have one of my sources checking.

JL.............

Leave a comment:

• Captain K
    replied
    Glad to help. My apologies if my last response was too snarky.

Leave a comment:

• JoeLee
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain K View Post
    I gave you the seal number you need in the post, and told you how to search for it yourself. Did you not read it?
    I typed in all the numbers that's why I didn't work. My mistake.

Thanks, I'll check the local bearing supplier tomorrow.

JL....

Leave a comment:

• Captain K
    replied
    Nothing found. Thanks anyway.....

JL.............
    I gave you the seal number you need in the post, and told you how to search for it yourself. Did you not read it?
    Last edited by Captain K; 08-01-2021, 09:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JoeLee
    replied
    [QUOTE=Willy;n1954322]Actually the one that Captain K found does look like it may be the right one, .75" shaft size, 1" bore. It does link back to CH for application. You'll have to measure to be sure.

http://www.skfextranet.com/Catalogs/...ail.asp?s=7410
    [/QUOTEThat didn't show up when I clicked on Captain K's link, all I got was a search page. That does look like the seal. Not much difference between ID and OD.

What's the difference between these two oils ?? I'm still trying to narrow down this oil leak. I went through the head and reeds, rings are OK and so is the cylinder wall.

One of the compressor repair places told me that I should be running straight 30 in this pump. I've used straight 30 before but switched back to 10W-40 because the sticker on the tank says to use it. The farm store oil is brown and the Wolfs Head is crystal clear.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20210801-160948.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	1954332

In trying to narrow this leak down I originally thought it was coming up through the crank case breather, so I put a 1 1/2" extension of silicone hose on it. Nothing is coming up through the hose and if it does it'll just run back down into the case, so I've narrowed it down to the crank seal. From what I've been told it's normal for a little to come up through it, but not like what I've been seeing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20210801-161020.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	276.9 KB
ID:	1954333

JL....................

Leave a comment:

• reggie_obe
    replied
    Yeah, and the shipping is almost as much as the seal. Locally probably about $4.
    And I don't have a clue as to who makes the one listed on ebay. I've seen some with a name TOKO or something like that.

JL.............
    If you can get all your gaskets and the seal, just might be worth it. Seller also has ring kits.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X