No announcement yet.

Mill vise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I first started up my shop 18 years ago, I purchased five of Grizzly’s 5in “Precision Milling Vises”; I was on a budget and did not know then what I know now. Within the first year, three of the vises were broken, bases cracked right behind the fixed jaw.

In need of a decent milling vise, I bought a Kurt D675 from Enco on one of their 20% off + free shipping deals; I really miss Enco.

Fast forward 10 years, needed a second vise for my mill, bought a well-used Kurt D60 off EBay, $200 delivered to my door. Vise was well used; obviously in a production environment with water-based coolant, (vise screw was full of rusty swarf). Sat in a bucket of kerosene for a day, some elbow grease and wire brushes got her cleaned up.

Decided to measure the base height against my D675 manufactured in 2010, base height was within +/-.0005 under the fixed jaw. Decided to call Kurt to find out when the D60 was made, , very nice and helpful lady told me that the D60 vises were manufactured between 1960 and 1983; so this D60 was manufactured between 27 and 50 years prior to my D675, and the bed height was maintained according to their spec of +/- .0005.

Kurt really is not that expensive for what you get, and they still support their products. So bottom line, don’t cheap out on a vise, keep in mind that your work is only as accurate as what’s holding it.

Mike Hunter

www.mikehunterrestorations.com

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Clarke View Post
      ... my Sheldon Horizontal ...
      I have a Sheldon (Vernon?) horizontal, so your picture got my eye. In particular, what is that mod running horizontally on the body? Also, is that zerk on the spindle housing a mod - mine doesn't have it?

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_18038.jpg Views:	0 Size:	157.3 KB ID:	1954644

Comment

Probably holding the rubber skirt that keep chips off the knee.
        Sounds kinky to me.

-D
        DZER

Comment

OK from the very first post the link to the vise . WHAT is a <pulgadas> ??? That seems to be some dimension .
          ...lew...

Comment

If you plan to do any milling, get a 4" Kurt for the same reasons you chose a Kurt for your 6" vise.

Click image for larger version

Name:	4 in Kurt.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	1,022.6 KB
ID:	1954695 Click image for larger version

Name:	6 in Kurt.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	1954696

Comment

A long time ago I found a 4" machinist vise in Princess Auto's surplus section and for C$35 I thought it was a bargain. I checked it and it's only a little over a thou out vertically on the fixed jaw (in the good direction) and the flat part between jaws only varies front to back by a couple of thou. Overall, that's more than adequate for the work I do on it. It's a no-name piece but it does have a "S" cast into it between the jaws on the bottom part.

Comment

Originally posted by gellfex View Post
                I'm not really understanding your problem with the Kurt..
                It's often just too big for the machine I have.

Comment

Originally posted by I make chips View Post

It's often just too big for the machine I have.
                  I have a JET 16 mill/drill, is yours is smaller than that?

Comment

^ It's a 1941 Nichols horizontal mill I call the frankenmill. The big vise often inhibits Y axis movement and with it's height sometimes there's not much room on the Z to get something taller in.
                    Doesn't help that I have a 90 degree head on it which furthers reduces the available Z. If I take the swivel base off the 4 incher I'll pickup some Y and Z.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20210805_171022.jpeg
Views:	239
Size:	468.8 KB
ID:	1955043

Last edited by I make chips; 08-05-2021, 06:14 PM.

Comment

I purchased one similar to the HappyBuy on eBay a couple weeks ago for use on a small horizontal milling machine. I was pleasantly surprised when I unpacked it and put it on the machine. I haven't had time to look it over closely yet, but I see no sharp edges, voids in the castings, or sand or grit anywhere on it. I did a cursory check to see if there was any lift on the moveable jaw and it actually pulled down about .0002". That's as far as I got but I do intend to check all the parameters before putting it to use.

Here's the one I bought:
                      Milling Machine Lockdown Vise 4" Swivel Base Precise Scale Clamping Vise 865472299266 | eBay.

As an FYI I put it on my watch list and got a notice a few days later that the seller was offering a small discount. I don't remember the exact percentage.
                      Last edited by projectnut; 08-05-2021, 09:07 AM.

Comment

The DX4 Kurt vise opens to 6 1/2 inch. That's nice, but over $500 bucks plus shipping. Just love that blue color.

Comes down to your budget and requirements. My home shop does not require close tolerances, so I am happy with the Happy. The Kurt also has a bigger - screw for a better grip. The Happy is a smaller V thread and new jaws are hard to find. You might consider selling something not used, and get the Kurt ?

Click image for larger version  Name:	DX4.651.jpg Views:	2 Size:	164.5 KB ID:	1955149
                        Last edited by Fasturn; 08-06-2021, 12:42 PM.

Comment

We have a couple of 100mm Bison vises, plus a 5" cheap Kurt clone as well as smaller vises at the museum. I got fed up with the lug at the rear of the Bisons restricting the Y axis travel, so I decided to do something about it. The removable end is a bit of channel section steel. The Kurt clone has a non essential bit hanging out of its rear that could be removed if I was desperate.

Click image for larger version  Name:	_IGP2542.JPG Views:	16 Size:	445.8 KB ID:	1955166 Click image for larger version  Name:	_IGP2545.JPG Views:	15 Size:	434.0 KB ID:	1955167 Click image for larger version  Name:	_IGP2549.JPG Views:	15 Size:	395.3 KB ID:	1955168
                          Last edited by old mart; 08-06-2021, 03:12 PM.

Comment

This firm in the UK gives the dimensions of the vises they sell which comes in handy.
                            https://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catal...th-swivel-base

Comment

Originally posted by projectnut View Post
                              I purchased one similar to the HappyBuy on eBay a couple weeks ago for use on a small horizontal milling machine. I was pleasantly surprised when I unpacked it and put it on the machine. I haven't had time to look it over closely yet, but I see no sharp edges, voids in the castings, or sand or grit anywhere on it. I did a cursory check to see if there was any lift on the moveable jaw and it actually pulled down about .0002". That's as far as I got but I do intend to check all the parameters before putting it to use.

Here's the one I bought:
                              Milling Machine Lockdown Vise 4" Swivel Base Precise Scale Clamping Vise 865472299266 | eBay.

As an FYI I put it on my watch list and got a notice a few days later that the seller was offering a small discount. I don't remember the exact percentage.
                              This vise looks decent, however I would like to know if you were able to check it properly for any inaccuracies and deviations. I am sure Chinese can make good products, but in my experience they mostly sell junk to USA. There are exceptions, but they are very few and far between. Anything with required precision and "Made in China" do not go side by side. Maybe situation has changed in the last year, but I highly doubt that.
                              I located your source on Ebay and can use a good 4" vise, maybe two of them. Please respond with your findings and we all can learn from that.

Currently I use 6" Parlec vise PWS-6900 on my vertical mill. It is a nice vise and it opens up to 9". However when I clamp parts on parallels, the parallels are always loose after clamping. Not much, maybe a few tens, but I feel the need to use a soft hammer on a part to sit it on parallels. The design is very similar to Kurt AngLock vises and I wonder what am I missing. Do you guys experience the same part lift in your vises, or is it just me? I never took this vise apart, maybe it can use some cleaning and adjustment.

Comment

Originally posted by Lew Hartswick View Post
                                OK from the very first post the link to the vise . WHAT is a <pulgadas> ??? That seems to be some dimension .
                                ...lew...
                                A quick Google search reveals that "pulgada" is the Spanish word for "inch."
                                SE MI, USA

Comment

Working...
                                X