VERY OT. 1/32 Slot Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VERY OT. 1/32 Slot Cars

Well, maybe not too OT, there’s some machining opportunities with these things like any mechanical hobby. There’s slot car tracks at two of the cities I lay over in, Cincinnati and LA. Bought two cars, been having a blast with them. An actual hobby I can bring on the road with me!

Click image for larger version  Name:	E3DDE258-C05B-46BA-A33B-3E5A5C1078E3.jpeg Views:	27 Size:	2.79 MB ID:	1954413 Click image for larger version  Name:	371A0B91-ED3C-4ABE-B587-B2756D1DE841.jpeg Views:	27 Size:	2.24 MB ID:	1954412
    Click image for larger version  Name:	6206D659-09D9-4A20-8198-4C00F24F9B1D.jpeg Views:	27 Size:	3.73 MB ID:	1954415 Click image for larger version  Name:	F7A880D7-4138-4B05-81B6-E284BEA00DD1.jpeg Views:	27 Size:	3.31 MB ID:	1954414
    Last edited by RB211; 08-02-2021, 12:55 AM.

Very cool --- but hey who's flying the plane? lol

I bet those little cars rip nowadays we had ones back in the day that seemed fast as hell back then can't imagine what they can do now...

Comment

Wow, that brings back memories! For me and my friends it was 1/24th scale cars. Our parents would take turns driving us to a place in Fremont, CA back in the mid to late '60's that we went to to race. IIRC they had a drag strip, 3 road tracks and an elevated banked oval with net's to catch the cars if they left the track. Lot's of fun. I'll have to look around the place but I think I got rid of my car, controller and parts several years back.

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
        Very cool --- but hey who's flying the plane? lol

I bet those little cars rip nowadays we had ones back in the day that seemed fast as hell back then can't imagine what they can do now...
        This guy fly's the airplane, I'm just a system admin that handles paperwork and does takeoff's and most landings.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	otto.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	1954426

I'll see if I can upload the video of that CanAm car zipping around the track, it is faster than the GT3 Lambo I have.

Comment

Good old Otto. tell us why he's sporting the big grin?

When I was a really little kid, Dad had an eight lane track in the basement and a club of sorts. Barely remember it. Before I was able to use it, he ripped out because it was getting too serious, enough that is wasn't fun at least in the sense of hosting it all in your basement.

So whats the state of nation on slot cars these days?

The idea of something like this seems fun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tORo_G929DQ&t=98s slow enough that you can see what is going on, presumably you have to corner or you lose it and being a good 'mechanic' might allow for improvements

otoh, this does not look like fun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtwkRd6zHwg. It looks like a repetitive neck injury...the cars are going so fast, is it just full power all the time? Are they actually reacting fast enough to slow down in the corners? Jeez I can hardly see them they're so fast
          in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

I had one of the slot cars back in the 60's when the craze was widespread. I remember the popular tweak was to rewind the motors for increased performance, I did it. As I recall, the tracks around town all disappeared fairly fast, the craze didn't last that long for some reason.

Comment

I just watched Mcgvers vids, I cannot believe the second one and it seems like it would be "skill-less" in driving them perhaps it's all about the challenge of building the fastest car and all the skill that takes but the racing just seems full throttle let the car and track do its thing...
              The first vid is more what i remember and as a kid it was fun but now seeing it again it's still drone-like stay in your own lane and just try to keep the car from going off the track with monitoring your speed again Id much rather drive half the speed and have to steer because at least you can change lanes and take someone on an inside turn or all the other variables... for me it would get old real quick...

Comment

There has to be a type of RC racing nowadays where you put on your hood/view screen and see where the front of the car is like your driving it,

some of the RC jets are so fast it's the only way you can pilot them,

this would be as close as you could get to real racing....

Comment

I had about 5 of the TYCO tracks back in the 90's, HO scale I think? They had some pretty neat novelty features, I remember that one that you would put a piece of flint on the car and as it went past guard rails it would shoot out a shower of sparks. Another had cars that could drift and slide and change direction. Also had some ramps and cross overs and such. I'd mash together all the sets into one big track, it was a hoot. Still remember the smell of hot electrics after running them for a good while.

Went to go dig them out a few years ago to show my nephews, but couldn't find them back. This is now making me want to get a kit for my boys....
                  Cayuga, Ontario, Canada

Comment

The first vid is more what i remember and as a kid it was fun but now seeing it again it's still drone-like stay in your own lane and just try to keep the car from going off the track with monitoring your speed again Id much rather drive half the speed and have to steer because at least you can change lanes and take someone on an inside turn or all the other variables... for me it would get old real quick...
                    maybe, haven't done it since a kid, but it was a blast then (the ubiquitous ho kits). There was definitely skill in getting around the track as fast as possible so it cranked up the brain chemicals....i.e. was really racing and you could figure out how to do a sideswipe at just the right moment to knock your brothers car off track (except 1/2 the time you'd crash as well).

Searching this morning I saw this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXZeDXmwSQU . I actually found it quite entertaining to watch - as several comments suggest, far more so than modern F1. It looks fun, reasonable cost and takes a lot of skill to keep up with those guys. I'd enjoy a class was maybe build your car with some set power/weight restrictions....bring the design, build and driving into it
                    Last edited by Mcgyver; 08-02-2021, 10:55 AM.
                    in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

There has to be a type of RC racing nowadays where you put on your hood/view screen and see where the front of the car is like your driving it,

some of the RC jets are so fast it's the only way you can pilot them,

this would be as close as you could get to real racing....
                      No reason that you couldn't, the cameras are small and not that expensive. You can view through them on a tablet,computer screen or with VR googles. Sounds like it would be a lot more fun that way.

I wonder how long it will be before actual full sized racing will be done with VR driving because someone will determine that having a driver in the car is to dangerous.
                      Last edited by loose nut; 08-02-2021, 10:58 AM.
                      The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut View Post

I wonder how long it will be before actual full sized racing will be done with VR driving because someone will determine that having a driver in the car is to dangerous.
                        You won't have to wait long ! https://news.clemson.edu/deep-orange...omy-at-180mph/

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut View Post

No reason that you couldn't, the cameras are small and not that expensive. You can view through them on a tablet,computer screen or with VR googles. Sounds like it would be a lot more fun that way.

In the RC world it is called FPV, first person view, racing. I've tried it once and it was different because you have no peripheral vision.

The grandson and I have a couple of the cheap 1/28 scale cars that we race around in the shop when the weather is bad, https://www.amazon.com/Wltoys-K989-B.../dp/B084VNC78G They are every bit as fun as the big RC cars that we play with outside.

Then there are the Mini-Z cars. There are tracks and clubs around these cars, http://kyosho.com/mini-z-info/
                          Lots of ways to play with small cars.

lg
                          no neat sig line
                          near Salem OR

Comment

Ok, here’s the video of driving my car on a professional 6 lane track at Electric Dreams in LA. The car has magnets on the bottom that help keep it on the track and are removable. Even with the magnets and silicone rear tires, AND adjusted ride height, AND adjusted stiffness of the motor pod, AND adjusted looseness of the body to the frame, one still has to manage speed and braking. The hand held controller I use has adjustable braking so I can dial in the right feel for the track. You can hear me punching it on the straight aways. This car is for a beginners class, limited to two magnets, and change in tires. It’s fast but nothing like that video in Helsinki which seems to not be fun. The Lambo car has a magnet installed as well but for that class car to race, no magnets are used, makes it much harder.

Comment

yeah, me too as a kid.
                              back in the '60s.
                              I thought it was 1/32, but maybe 1/24
                              There was a road course, banked oval, dragstrip

Comment

Working...
                              X