parking attachment for K and T mill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• parking attachment for K and T mill

I am looking for a parking attachment for my K and T horizontal mill....but have started to build one as well as I just don't think I will find one. I am having trouble locating information about how the attachment mounts to the top of the mill. I can see that it is slotted and mounts on the overarm locking clamp bolts. But my bolts are too short to accommodate a plate on them. Also, I wonder how the locking clamps would work with the weight of a parking attachment sitting on top of them. But they must, as that is how it appears to be mounted.
    Does anyone here have a parking attachment and can tell me if they require longer overarm clamping studs? ( which I am pretty sure that they do) and do you know if the studs are held in place with a locking pin? Attempting to remove one so I could make longer ones, resulted in the stud moving a little, then unable to move in either direction.
    Thanks for any advice.

Abom79 made one for his K and T.

--D
    DZER

Comment

Yep....I watched it back when he was making it....different machine than mine and attachment mounts differently, thanks for the info though....

Comment

Originally posted by BANintheUP View Post
        Yep....I watched it back when he was making it....different machine than mine and attachment mounts differently, thanks for the info though....
        Which machine are you making one for? Have you seen K&T catalog AR30? That is the replacement parts guide for milling heads and parking attachments.
        Mike
        Central Ohio, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio Mike View Post

Which machine are you making one for? Have you seen K&T catalog AR30? That is the replacement parts guide for milling heads and parking attachments.
          You can see that over at Vintage Machinery.... click on View PDF http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=3418

Or click here for more K&T publications.... http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgIndex...?id=2098&tab=3

Comment

I guess I do not understand the question, because fabricating something like a
            parking attachment, the tolerances are wide open, as is the design.
            It just has to fit and swing. You can make up most if not all of it.
            So not sure what you are looking for. If you watched the Abom79 video,
            you got 99% of that you need. If you are looking for a measured drawing,
            I dunno. I doubt that is going to happen. Ya got to take it on yourself with
            a project like this.

-Doozer

DZER

Comment

What is a parking atfachment ?

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
                What is a parking atfachment ?
                Its a bracken or "crane" used to move an accessory like a universal head on to and off of the spindle of a horizontal mill. The bracket also provides a place to "park" the head while it isn't being used.

Click image for larger version

Name:	K&T Parking Attachment and Crane.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	1954520

Mike
                Central Ohio, USA

Comment

Thanks for your help on this....the link helped me out. But one question remains. Are the overarm clamping bolts longer when using a parking attachment? I assume so. And do you think that they just unscrew. No locking pin. I don't see one in the parts breakdown so assume there not there. And I have looked closely at the mill and can't find any. Nor anyway to access them if they are there. The concern now is that the clamping stud is frozen tight in the mill and I hate to do any damage to it by forcing it. Time to start soaking it with penetrating oil. The rest of the build will be easy once I figure out how to mount the plate. Thanks again all for your comments....I am on a better path now.

Comment

The plate mounts to the area on the mill where the gearcase vent is.
                    The vent looks like a register cover with louvers, and is a labyrinth to exclude foreign
                    material and allow air flow. You can see the register grille incorporated
                    into the parking attachment, lower down on the plate.

-D
                    DZER

Comment

The studs would have to be longer to account for the thickness of the bracket. They are specifically shown in the parts breakdown AR30 with an AR part number. I don't believe they are pinned or staked in any way, but I don't recall having mine out.

Basing all my info on the 2H/2CH diagrams.
                      Last edited by Ohio Mike; 08-04-2021, 10:34 AM.
                      Mike
                      Central Ohio, USA

Comment

Working...
                      X