Model Railroad train table made from 8020 extruded aluminum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model Railroad train table made from 8020 extruded aluminum

I built my 16' x 22' Lionel train table from 2" x 2" aluminum extrusions manufactured by 8020. I was concerned that all the aluminum would interfere with the wireless signals being sent to the engines, etc., but there ended up being no problem at all. The framework bolts together with right angle brackets as pictured, and is quite sturdy. The legs have height adjustable leveling feet. Turntable is computer operated via CNC controller and stepper motor.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9352.JPG Views:	3 Size:	1.97 MB ID:	1954506 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9333.jpg Views:	2 Size:	1.72 MB ID:	1954507 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8853.jpg Views:	2 Size:	245.6 KB ID:	1954508 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8854.jpg Views:	2 Size:	233.9 KB ID:	1954509
    Last edited by Tmate; 08-02-2021, 01:00 PM.

Wonderful. This is the New Engineers Lego's. Easy to work with and looks sharp! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Nice! Both the table and the train set up!
      "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Nice, I still have all of my dad’s and uncles post war trains.

Comment

Are those tee slots in the legs? What gauge is the train set?

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
            Are those tee slots in the legs? What gauge is the train set?
            The slots are for T-nuts. The train layout is Lionel O gauge.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8855.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	255.9 KB
ID:	1954537 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6630.JPG
Views:	277
Size:	2.57 MB
ID:	1954538

Comment

Well, that's a new use. Hope you got the 8020 cheap. $$$$ There's a gentleman on YouTube that does professional layout design and construction plus builds custom and standard turnouts. For his home layout he used shelf brackets which I thought was a really smart idea.
              Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

Originally posted by Spin Doctor View Post
                Well, that's a new use. Hope you got the 8020 cheap. $$$$ There's a gentleman on YouTube that does professional layout design and construction plus builds custom and standard turnouts. For his home layout he used shelf brackets which I thought was a really smart idea.
                I hope he paid full price. Someone has to support the economy.

-D
                DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

I hope he paid full price. Someone has to support the economy.

-D
                  My business had a wholesale account.

Comment

Neat! That takes me back to my younger years when I had an HO layout. But my table, if you could call it that, was some plywood that was supported by two desks and a 2x4 post. No way I could have afforded such nice aluminum construction back then.

Great fun! Do post some more photos of the layout itself. That turntable looks nice.
                    Paul A.
                    SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                    You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

I could do with some 80/20, it’s been around since 1979 that I know of, the Ali works me and the mrs met used to make it ie extrude and satin anodise (or z if you prefer) and I could have bought it at work for 70c per kilo, I had no interest!, youth is wasted on the young, it was heavily patented then, I think it was Rexroth aka Bosch owned dies, we tried colour anodised too, red, blue, black purple etc, very nice now I’ve got a list on my to do that includes cnc, plasma, router, festool clone, machine stands the list grows but the price is creeping up all the time, oh for a time machine, you’ve done a lovely job, congratulations
                      mark

Comment

Friend has a CNC router made out of 80/20 and have used various other brands of the same stuff, Bosch, Misumi. It's a bit expensive but makes projects so much simpler.

Comment

While the 8020 used in my layout wasn't cheap, it was no more expensive than a typical Lionel Vision series steam engine.

http://www.lionel.com/products/visio...-5331-6-11218/

Name:	Lionel Vision Hudson.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	1.78 MB
ID:	1954639

Comment

About 3 years ago, I bought about $6,000 worth of 80/20.
                            It was the 3" x 6" stuff, largest they make.
                            If I remember, it was $3 per linear inch.

--Doozer
                            DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                              About 3 years ago, I bought about $6,000 worth of 80/20.
                              It was the 3" x 6" stuff, largest they make.
                              If I remember, it was $3 per linear inch.

--Doozer
                              We used the 3" x 6" extrusions in the CNC Plasma Tables we manufactured. Some were pretty big.

Name:	10x40.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	1954660

Comment

Working...
                              X