X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doozer
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike Hunter View Post
    ...Where are the grease plugs on the F-M?
    In the base casting.

-D

Leave a comment:

• Mike Hunter
    replied
    Four Bridgeport J Heads in the shop, all step pulleys 2x motors made by US Electric Motor Co. 1 by Fairbanks-Morse and 1 by General Electric. Where are the grease plugs on the F-M?

Also of the four only one has the grease fitting for the back gear.

Leave a comment:

• old mart
    replied
    They would likely put that instruction assuming that the mill would be in use 40 hours a week. For home shop general use an occasional spin of the motor by hand would tell whether it was smooth or rough.

Leave a comment:

• Doozer
    replied
    Originally posted by Rich Carlstedt View Post
    The "Pancake motors " were sealed , so that is non applicable.
    It's possible the old Fairbanks Morse motors on the M heads had zerks ??
    Rich
    F-M motors on BPs have both fill and drain plugs.
    Take both plugs out.
    Thread in a Zerk fitting into the fill hole.
    Pump in grease until new clean grease comes out the drain hole.
    Remove the Zerk fitting.
    Replace both plugs.

--D

Leave a comment:

• Doozer
    replied
    If the data plate says, "Grease motor twice yearly",
    it probably is talking about greasing the motor.

-D

Leave a comment:

• projectnut
    replied
    I believe they're referring to the bull gear shifting mechanism. On the 2J2 vari head here's a grub screw on the left side (when facing the machine) at the bottom of the motor/gear train assembly near the junction of the head and column. The screw should be removed and about 1/2 teaspoon of Lubriplate 107 should be injected into the hole. There was a time when this grease came in a plastic tube. The tube could be threaded into the grub screw hole. Rather than hunt down a tube that fits the hole I made an adaptor with threads on one end and a zerk fitting on the other. I screw it in a couple times a year and give it a pump of grease from a gun with compatible grease. It's actually the slide mechanism where the back gear assembly rides. There is a note in the manual to move the hi-low lever when adding the grease

As a side note I would try to get a manual consistent with the serial number of your machine. Over the years there have been several renditions. Maintenance procedures that were recommended for some of the earlier models were eliminated on the later ones. In one of the manuals I have it says "After and including serial #2JB 1970 the back gear is greased for life with Sun Prestige 741 and will not need further lubrication"

Leave a comment:

• Tim Clarke
    replied
    I was wondering about that also. I have a late 80’s 2J head, no visible grease fittings. Has a Emerson motor, and a C/H switch. Possibly the only US made parts on the machine!

Leave a comment:

• Rich Carlstedt
    replied
    The "Pancake motors " were sealed , so that is non applicable.
    It's possible the old Fairbanks Morse motors on the M heads had zerks ??
    Rich

Leave a comment:

• Mike Hunter
    started a topic Bridgeport J head " Grease Motor Twice Yearly"

Bridgeport J head " Grease Motor Twice Yearly"

There is a little data plate on the front of Bridgeport head which reads" Fill oil cups twice daily, Grease motor twice yearly".

Where and how do you grease the motor?

Thanks

Mike
Working...
X