• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Hey, hurry up, I gotta p..

$180,000 for a windshield...

Complete story here.

He could have ejected...
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

overkill. three guys with the $22,000 chainsaw when one guy with the $900 hammer would have done the trick

Comment

Hah. Look at the pics on the site. That polycarbonate looks like it is 3/4" thick. That would probably stop a .50 cal
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

"Why Me?"

"Turn that F'ing camera off!"

"When I get out of here I'm going to... !"

"Damn engineers, why do I aways have to be the test monkey?"

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
          $180,000 for a windshield...He could have ejected...
          That would have been a case of premature ejectation?..

Ken
          Ken.

Comment

He kind of looks like the president.

Comment

Lowest bidder strikes again
              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

What a chicken boy

Why didnt he just go manual override eject hit the explosive canopy bolts and walk away. Hm with guys like this protecting our skies it could get dicy in the future.

Comment

Well. At least he saved the plane. Something tells me the canopy is a lot cheaper than a whole aircraft.

As for looking like our president, flying f104s has got to be dead easy.

Comment

ejection

"Why didnt he just go manual override eject hit the explosive canopy bolts and walk away. Hm with guys like this protecting our skies it could get dicy in the future"

a grounded jet one with an unknown canopy malfunction? Canopy jettison, canopy breakers and a 0/0 seat I'm sure it was discussed and the safer of the 2 alternatives was chosen, I'm sure he is well qualifed to "protect our skies"

http://wwwsam.brooks.af.mil/af/files...hapter_17.html
                    Last edited by plastikosmd; 05-03-2006, 06:46 PM.
                    "Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment" R.M.Brown

My shop tour www.plastikosmd.com

Comment

Man what a mess. Those firemen realy did a butcher job. I would say replacing the canopy is the easy part. I would not want to be the one to remove all that FOD from the cockpit. They should have called the guys from the fabrication shop.I think they would have been much neater.

TIN FALCON
                      Ad maiorem dei gloriam - Ad vitam paramus

Comment

Originally posted by tattoomike68

He kind of looks like the president.
                        Operator: Hello... BlondeStar how may we help you?

Caller: YES! BlondeStar... Umm yes I'm locked inside a plane can you help?

Operator: 1st... Stay calm. So you are locked inside the plane. Is it on the ground?

Caller: Yes it's on the ground and I can't get out the bubble is locked and won't open HELP!

Operator: Sir BlodesStar has sent a team to help... and a Photographer Ha ha ha.

Wow... where did the time go. I could of swore I was only out there for an hour.

Comment

Originally posted by madman
                          Why didnt he just go manual override eject hit the explosive canopy bolts and walk away. Hm with guys like this protecting our skies it could get dicy in the future.

Those planes are like cars,most times windshields are cheaper than seats

Also I was once told that the pilot is the single most expensive part in a fighter jet,it's why they install ejector seats
                          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

The Canopy costs $182,000 dollars. The canopy is the largest piece of polycarbonate formed in the world with the largest Zone 1 (highest quality) optics for compatibility with helmet-mounted systems.

HTRN
                            EGO partum , proinde EGO sum

Comment

HRTN, I think it may be a little bit more than just Polycarbonate, and I would guess it is a laminate of Acrylic/Polycarbonate/Acrylic. It probably has some ITO & Gold coating on it from looking at the tint in the pictures.

Abut 10 years my company in the UK was working with a company in Dallas on an entirely different project, and they were making these canopies for the F-16 and F-4 (did I get those numbers right?).
                              I got to visit over there a couple of times and it's a very interesting process to get it optically good enough to use in these applications. If you're interested I could write up a short description of how they do it.

Peter

Comment

Working...
                              X