Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT EAA discontinuing solidworks educational offer !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT EAA discontinuing solidworks educational offer !!!

Just received the email from EAA detailing the change. They are now offering 3dexperience for makers instead at a 50% discount.

I have not looked into 3dexperience for makers software but fully expect it is not even close to the educational solidworks previously offered.

I also received the email this morning. To be clear, this wasn't EAA's choice, it was imposed on them by Solidworks. Signs of the times, I guess.

Comment

Is this immediate? Too late to sign up? I read "previously offered", so it seems so.

Is there any impact on those who have already signed up?

Comment

Here's the full email text:

Thank you for being an EAA member and for taking advantage of the SOLIDWORKS EAA member benefit. For the last five years, we have been proud to offer SOLIDWORKS Education Premium to EAA members free of charge. The uptake and feedback from members has been tremendous.
        As we roll into the next phase of the SOLIDWORKS and EAA relationship, I wanted to communicate an important change to the program.

Beginning today, EAA members will have access to 3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS for Makers at a 50% discount. This offering is replacing SOLIDWORKS Education Premium, which was free of charge for EAA members. This change was not initiated by EAA.

With this new benefit structure, EAA members will have greater access to support and resources. Now included in this member benefit is:
        50% off 3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS for Makers: The world’s best design tools, now for hobbyists and personal projects.
        Retail: $99/year | EAA Members: $49.50/year
        Roles within this product include:
        3D Creator
        3D Sculptor
        3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS Professional
        Collaborative Business Innovator
        Collaborative Industry Innovator
        FREE access to SOLIDWORKS training resources ($156 value)
        FREE access to three SOLIDWORKS certification exams ($198 value)
        Collaborative Business Innovator
        Collaborative Industry Innovator
        3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS Associate – Mechanical Design
        FREE access to quarterly aviation-focused SOLIDWORKS webinars
        FREE access to the Maker Communities

Those EAA members currently using SOLIDWORKS Educational Premium will be able to continue using this version until their license expires. Once a member begins using 3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS for Makers, they will need to renew on an annual basis.

Here are some helpful links:
        Details about 3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS for Makers ›

3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS for Makers FAQ for EAA Members ›

Request EAA member-only access to 3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS for Makers ›

Thank you for being an EAA member. I hope you continue to find value in EAA’s partnership with SOLIDWORKS, and enjoy 3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS for Makers. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please let me know.

Tailwinds,
        David Leiting, EAA Manager, Membership Development

Comment

Originally posted by Glug View Post
          Is this immediate? Too late to sign up? I read "previously offered", so it seems so.

Is there any impact on those who have already signed up?
          Those already using solidworks EAA version will not be able to renew that version when the time comes (yearly). The only option will be the new 3dexperience makers version, which is also a yearly subscription.

Comment

Since receiving the letter I have been surfing and reading up on the differences. It appears the CAD part is pretty much the same from my initial looks. What I have NOT been able to find out is if the CAM portion will remain in its present form. IF they strip the CAM we are used to in the old version that would make it pretty useless for me, I have a cnc lathe and mill in my home shop which is a major reason for using the software.

WIth the term "maker" in the software name, I fear it will only support CAM for 3d printing.
            Last edited by Sparky_NY; 08-18-2021, 02:10 PM.

Comment

There is no such thing as a free lunch, sadly.

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                There is no such thing as a free lunch, sadly.
                Amen Brother !!

Comment

A bummer, I was hoping to gain enough proficiency to add it to my resume.
                  25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

I just posted this yesterday in another CAD thread active on this forum:

I signed up for membership to EAA today to check out Solidworks and it turns out that the only a 50% discount on 3DExperience Solidworks is available. It is some crappy version for makers that is cloud based.....wasted $40 on a membership Nothing good ever lasts very long.....

Comment

Originally posted by polaraligned View Post

I just posted this yesterday in another CAD thread active on this forum:

I signed up for membership to EAA today to check out Solidworks and it turns out that the only a 50% discount on 3DExperience Solidworks is available. It is some crappy version for makers that is cloud based.....wasted $40 on a membership Nothing good ever lasts very long.....

Learn Fusion360 with the free license. If you need the additional features, pay for it after you learn it.

Comment

I'm currently investigating the student edition for the desktop: https://www.solidworks.com/product/students
                        25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                          Learn Fusion360 with the free license. If you need the additional features, pay for it after you learn it.
                          I am fluent with Inventor, so it won't be a problem. I own a commercial seat of Inventor 2010, but it has shortcomings like not supporting 4k monitors and won't run on any OS above Win 7, plus Autocrap is not issuing new activation numbers should my hardware die and I need to move it to a new computer. I was just looking for alternatives. I really like being able to do FEA, and I can't do that with what I have. I have used my daughters student edition for that. I use InventorCAM for my CAM. They are a third party add-on for Inventor and I don't even think they are in business anymore, or they maybe got bought out.
                          Last edited by polaraligned; 08-18-2021, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
                            I'm currently investigating the student edition for the desktop: https://www.solidworks.com/product/students
                            That is the 3DExperience Solidworks. It looks like it is a cloud based competitor to Fusion 360.

It looks like you can get a Student copy of Solidworks from Titans of CNC. You need to be a member, but I don't know what is involved with that.

https://titansofcnc.com/resources/

Comment

Originally posted by polaraligned View Post

That is the 3DExperience Solidworks. It looks like it is a cloud based competitor to Fusion 360.

It looks like you can get a Student copy of Solidworks from Titans of CNC. You need to be a member, but I don't know what is involved with that.

https://titansofcnc.com/resources/
                              Titan is a good guy, might be a good deal for the next five years.

Comment

Working...
                              X