Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT EAA discontinuing solidworks educational offer !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rich Carlstedt View Post
    I left out a word in the Linux reference above ...Freeware !....... ( not 7-20 K $ )

Rich
    Fair enough but Linux freeware is right on par or ahead of windows freeware, not lagging behind. Don't forget, that Android op system on your phone is a version of linux too !.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post

Siemen's NX cad/cam software is world class and runs on Linux (and other platforms). It not only can challenge the leaders, arguably it is one of the real leaders. There are other super-high end CAD CAM packages that run under Linux.

Also, don't look now but a large majority of the servers in that cloud are running linux op systems, google for example runs on linux servers.
      Oof, we use NX at work. I hate it it a passion, probably one of the worst CAD programs I have used. Mostly popular at least in this area because Boeing adopted it. We got stuck with it and TeamCenter because they basically bribed the guy making the decision of what cad to move to. Now that the our company has been bought out there is talk about going to SolidWorks/Agile since that's what the rest of the company uses.

NX has thirty ways to do the same thing and they all suck. We had a trainer come in to teach us the basics and id be like "how do you do xxx in this like I can in solidworks" and the answer was either, well, that's in the next version, or no, you can't do that. Simple things, like constraining features horizontally or vertically.

Comment

Originally posted by macona View Post

Oof, we use NX at work. I hate it it a passion, probably one of the worst CAD programs I have used. Mostly popular at least in this area because Boeing adopted it. We got stuck with it and TeamCenter because they basically bribed the guy making the decision of what cad to move to. Now that the our company has been bought out there is talk about going to SolidWorks/Agile since that's what the rest of the company uses.

NX has thirty ways to do the same thing and they all suck. We had a trainer come in to teach us the basics and id be like "how do you do xxx in this like I can in solidworks" and the answer was either, well, that's in the next version, or no, you can't do that. Simple things, like constraining features horizontally or vertically.
        Interestingly, we have a few GM plants and a Ford plant in my area... they all use a mix of NX and SolidWorks, with their own "glue" programming. And in some cases, their own full-custom software.
        25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post

Fair enough but Linux freeware is right on par or ahead of windows freeware, not lagging behind. Don't forget, that Android op system on your phone is a version of linux too !.
          Yep, I started using Linux full-time in 1998... its come a long ways, baby! Nowadays, I run FreeBSD (UNIX) on the desktop. And not a day goes by that I don't thank goodness for it. SO much easier and more logical to use!!
          25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

It's worth mentioning that M$ is seriously looking at converting their Kernel, the heart of the OS, to Linux. In time, they may all run the same software, and the OS won't matter so much.

Comment

Over on the EAA forum they are not happy about this either. One of the EAA staff members has been in contact with Dassault and talking about how people are not happy with cloud save and lack of CAM.

"The best way to be vocal about it would be for people to post their concern in the Makers-Support 3DSwym Community. One of the complaints has been about the lack of local file save and open, and in response, the September update will bring that functionality. I could easily see a CAM role and a SIMULATION role getting added to the offer in the future."
              http://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?...ll=1#post85694

Comment

By now, that Alibre Atom probably doesn't look so bad. Yeah, Fusion, but look at what THEY did.............

Originally posted by MikeWI View Post
                It's worth mentioning that M$ is seriously looking at converting their Kernel, the heart of the OS, to Linux. In time, they may all run the same software, and the OS won't matter so much.
                As long as it looks like windows, works like windows, smells like windows, and runs windows programs, it's windows.......

They'd have to basically cut loose every prior windows program to really change it. Developers would LOVE that.

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

They would have to bake wine right into it so it could run windows apps. Even then wine does not work for everything and a lot of stuff will be broken.

Comment

Originally posted by macona View Post
                    They would have to bake wine right into it so it could run windows apps. Even then wine does not work for everything and a lot of stuff will be broken.
                    'zactly..... but if anyone knows how to let a windows program run, it should be M$ themselves.

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

Like I said there's still solid edge, though no CAM in that. At this rate it does look like some of the free alternatives will be what people have to use. But it's getting real tiring to relearn a CAD system all the time. I guess it's a good thing I hardly ever used my solidworks, never had the time for it, so I haven't wasted much.

Comment

Hi Folks,

Many of us went through this with fusion360 around a year ago. I decided I was going to get off the "Hey kid, first ones free" dope dealer approach to cad software.

For 3D CAD / CAM it seems we're down to FreeCAD or Alibre Atom Workshop in the sub $500 price range.

FreeCAD is of course free, many use it with great joy, some like me find it frustrating to deal with.

As Freecad and I are wired differently somehow, the lack of good free CAM becomes a real issue. I know there are free CAM packages. If they work well for you that's great, my luck wasn't so good.

I ended up buying Atom Workshop for $400. For your money you get two licenses for Atom (easily swapped around on machines, not a big beg and grovel issue like some products) and Meshcam Pro, which is usually $500 as a standalone. For the cost of a years subscription to Fusion 360 it seems a good deal to me. Downside is that it's windows only, doesn't run under wine, and was a dog on a win10 virtual machine on my linux box. The performance hit is likely because I don't have a second video card dedicated to my virtual machines and can't sort out GPU passthrough so far. It does run well on even my mediocre acer I5 laptop under Win10 and on even older 2nd generation I5 machines with mobo graphics.

Meshcam runs great using wine and in a virtualbox instance on the linux machines, as does Vectric VCarve.

If your needs are 2 and 2.5D only there's always LibreCAD. It's pretty much like AutoCAD from the old days, a good solid 2D DXF package. It's excellent if you don't need or are willing to forego the parametric 3d world. You'll need a CAM package. Some folks find the free dxf2gcode python package suitable for their needs, or you could use CamBam or Vectric Cut2D as a cam engine that will cost around $150.

I guess to go really low cost you could try some of the free design and cam packages from Carbide or Openbuilds, but they are really, really gRbl / router-centric.

If you can live with a basic DRAWING package with CAM the VCarve stuff is quite usable, although router centric in many ways. When I had a clock restoration business VCarve was often the quickest way to draw and cut out oddball flat parts like racks or snails. Gearotic was my go to for matching a non standard gear form to create a DXF. Most old tall case clocks don't have standard form teeth or spaces, so simply making one with a clock wheel cutter from Thornton isn't always a suitable approach. Larger gears could be profiled using 1mm or smaller end mills. In some cases a part could be scanned, edge detected it in Inkscape, then exported as a DXF to VCarve. The gcode was driving a Sherline mill. Over the years the mill used both linuxcnc and Mach4. Same approach works on my routers and G0704 CNC conversion, just a matter of post processors.

Just as an addition, I've been very pleased with the way Vectric treats customers. No calling home, no license shenanigans so I can have it on multiple machines in different shop areas with the same license info, reasonable upgrade costs after a pretty good free upgrade time period passes, and great support. I've been using it since release 8 or 9, am about to upgrade to the newest V11 of VCarve Pro.

Cheers,
                        Stan

Comment

Just one more point I want to make about CAD. Not all of our brains are wired the same. I had a hell of a time trying to make good use of a 2D CAD program. My brain just "clicked" with parametric modeling, the rest is history. Try your hand with as many CAD packages you can until you find the one that just "clicks" with you. Price will end up not being the most important factor for you.

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

Interestingly, we have a few GM plants and a Ford plant in my area... they all use a mix of NX and SolidWorks, with their own "glue" programming. And in some cases, their own full-custom software.
                            I always wondered what Ford/GM/Chrysler use. Back when I had to get files from their "upfitter" divisions, they always came in .x_t format so NX checks out. SolidWorks plays nice with .x_t files; better than .stp files. The bad part was some of their files were so large (like the unibody assembly for a Police Interceptor) that it would take 30-40 minutes for the computer to open it!

Comment

.x_t is a parasolid part file, its kind of a program independent file format that most cad should be able to use. I use parasolid binaries when I go from solidworks to mastercam when I had an older version of mastercam.

Comment

Fusion 360 still works and works well for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X