Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Diamond grinding wheel cup.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by eKretz View Post

    I support whoever makes decent product that I don't have to worry about needing to chuck in the trash bin when it arrives. I don't care where it comes from for the most part. I care that it works. You sure like to rant a lot... Not sure exactly why you would care what anyone else uses or doesn't. This kind of attitude is what makes politics such a pain in the arse. Don't like those either.
    Pretty much used to think like how your describing --- and others had the foresight to "correct me on it" if anything in the past year or two has not slapped us in the face by now then I don't know what will --- yes it does matter where the buck stops... I could give a ratz arss if you like to hear that or not,,,
    and it's near impossible to get away from esp. with one of the examples mentioned...

    as far as it being political though, if self preservation turns political in your mind then so be it... heck in that respect everythings political, skippy peanut butters political as is hankook tires and the bobby pins your grandma was using over 40 years ago... get over it,

    all's im mentioning is for me it's worth making an effort... and as far as hitting the $hit bin the second you receive it nobody has a better track record for that than the first example given...

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
      Aren't diamond "stones" used for hand sharpening knife blades? Doesn't that mean that you can use diamond on steel if you keep the temperature down to the point where you are not burning the diamond (which is just a form of carbon)?

      Either use water to keep the temperature low or use a slow speed. Or both.

      Or am I completely wrong on this?
      You're very correct on this Paul. The craze these days for sharpening wood working hand tools (and knives) has shifted somewhat from water stones over to sharpening stone sized diamond plates in various grit numbers.

      They are typically used wet. But any references to using them wet has focused on flushing the swarf away so the plates don't plug up. But perhaps aiding with spreading the heat around to avoid hot spots is a key secondary (or primary?) effect.

      Chilliwack BC, Canada

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post

        Pretty much used to think like how your describing --- and others had the foresight to "correct me on it" if anything in the past year or two has not slapped us in the face by now then I don't know what will --- yes it does matter where the buck stops... I could give a ratz arss if you like to hear that or not,,,
        and it's near impossible to get away from esp. with one of the examples mentioned...

        as far as it being political though, if self preservation turns political in your mind then so be it... heck in that respect everythings political, skippy peanut butters political as is hankook tires and the bobby pins your grandma was using over 40 years ago... get over it,

        all's im mentioning is for me it's worth making an effort... and as far as hitting the $hit bin the second you receive it nobody has a better track record for that than the first example given...
        Yeah that bolded bit was kind of my point. The Ukrainian stuff is pretty good, no garbage. And until the average consumer that shops at WalMart, Target etc. starts pushing for stores to sell more U.S. made stuff there will be no change. And they won't do that because they don't want to pay that little bit more. Don't get me wrong, I would be happy to, but I am not the one who decides. You can spout off about it all you want with no result. People at our level will make no difference. It's the mass consumer that drives the market. In the meantime, U.S. made shop tooling is generally prohibitively expensive unless you own a business that's making money hand over foot. Until that manufacturing base comes back and they can produce in volume that will not change.

        As regards your red quoted text, maybe it would be better if politics were kept out of things like this. Business decisions should not be decided by politics. Personally I'm sick and tired of the whole rigamarole. We need to revamp the system when it's at the point where nothing gets done and it's completely filled with people who do nothing but constant sniping at and bickering with each other. None of these people act like adults who know how to work with each other to get things done and make compromises. It is utterly disgusting and frankly quite embarrassing. These people are supposed to be the best of us? Sorry, not in my opinion. Politicking can go spit.

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by BCRider View Post
          But perhaps aiding with spreading the heat around to avoid hot spots is a key secondary (or primary?) effect.
          you are not going to achieve the localized temperatures high enough to risk carbon absorption with hand sharping. That's why all these steel/diamond sharping things are slow speed. As I mentioned, the localized temp where one particle meets another is almost entirely a function of the relative speed of the two
          Last edited by Mcgyver; 08-26-2021, 08:38 PM.
          in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by eKretz View Post

            Yeah that bolded bit was kind of my point. The Ukrainian stuff is pretty good, no garbage. And until the average consumer that shops at WalMart, Target etc. starts pushing for stores to sell more U.S. made stuff there will be no change. And they won't do that because they don't want to pay that little bit more. Don't get me wrong, I would be happy to, but I am not the one who decides. You can spout off about it all you want with no result. People at our level will make no difference. It's the mass consumer that drives the market. In the meantime, U.S. made shop tooling is generally prohibitively expensive unless you own a business that's making money hand over foot. Until that manufacturing base comes back and they can produce in volume that will not change.

            As regards your red quoted text, maybe it would be better if politics were kept out of things like this. Business decisions should not be decided by politics. Personally I'm sick and tired of the whole rigamarole. We need to revamp the system when it's at the point where nothing gets done and it's completely filled with people who do nothing but constant sniping at and bickering with each other. None of these people act like adults who know how to work with each other to get things done and make compromises. It is utterly disgusting and frankly quite embarrassing. These people are supposed to be the best of us? Sorry, not in my opinion. Politicking can go spit.
            As futile as it all seems sometimes I still like to make an effort at it - I have been doing pretty good with it lately, just by paying attention and reading labels and stuff and also some blind luck with a few on line orders that surprised me,,, but 3 days ago even though I drove around town to try and find an alternative it was a no go --- so about 40 bucks went to U know who and yeah it still chaps my hide,,, there were alternatives if I went on-line with it and added about another hundred to the 40, I cannot afford to do that -

            then there's people who can and still have no choice just because nobody else is even building the particular product and there's no other choice,,,

            But - I still will at least try my best most of the time - more then iv ever been, not a holy'er than thou thing as I know you and most are probably doing the same,

            just something that I think helps when we all remind each other once in awhile, I still recycle everything I can - even though when you know what's going on behind the recycling scene also seems futile... I still will always own a fairly efficient car, current one rated at 70mpg highway, is all of what im doing going to save the planet and country - no - probably not if everyone did,,, we got so many fish to fry now that I believe it's a done deal, but just can't toss my hands up in the air and say "ahh what's the use"

            The Ukrainian product you mention sounds better then the other two choices , had you mentioned Ukrainian in that initial post I commented on there would not have been a comment from me - but now were getting back to political reasons...

            It's all becoming an increasingly bigger mess to sort through and in a constant state of flux.,..

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post

              you are not going to achieve the localized temperatures high enough to risk carbon absorption with hard sharping. That's why all these steel/diamond sharping things are slow speed. As I mentioned, the localized temp where one particle meets another is almost entirely a function of the relative speed of the two
              Yes, generally if you're not throwing sparks you're going to wear the diamond fairly slowly. The other risk is pushing too hard and ripping the diamond loose. Don't do that. You can actually use a piece of mild steel in a vise or other rigid holding method to true a resin bond diamond wheel, so there's that...

              Comment

              Working...
              X