Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Over the top packaging, completely on topic.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kev74 View Post
    I bet they could give away a whole lot of those plastic cases before they come close to the cost of replacing a tool damaged in transit and the resulting upset customer.
    Maybe..... The foam in that looks like the softer variety. Might not be very good against being dropped even so. The main body looks heavy enough to bang around with soft foam, and bash the other parts.

That said, I can't tell other than what it looks like, which might be totally wrong. It could be perfectly fine foam for the purpose.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

Maybe..... The foam in that looks like the softer variety. Might not be very good against being dropped even so. The main body looks heavy enough to bang around with soft foam, and bash the other parts.

That said, I can't tell other than what it looks like, which might be totally wrong. It could be perfectly fine foam for the purpose.
      Thanks JT --- as usual that was very helpful

Comment

Eh....

Usually, that "bumpy" foam is fairly soft... otherwise you can't close the top.

The other stuff "looks like it" in the pic, but there is a fairly hard foam that looks the same, but is denser. Maybe the OP could fill us in on that, if he has not tossed the box yet.

No matter what it is, there is a ton of space between pieces. The wrench, which is nearly indestructible in any sort of box, is well protected indeed, with an inch of foam, or more, around it.

That bore gauge has a slew of tip sets for different diameters, as well as several different heads and the body with dial. I doubt the box is much if any bigger than that one, and that one has only 9 items, that are not very delicate.

Odds are they bought a standard size box and had the foam cut to hold the pieces for each of their products

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

The other stuff "looks like it" in the pic, but there is a fairly hard foam that looks the same, but is denser. Maybe the OP could fill us in on that, if he has not tossed the box yet.
          Yeah - cuz we all are on the edge of our seat about this, or - maybe just want to hear ourselves talk?

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post

Yeah - cuz we all are on the edge of our seat about this, or - maybe just want to hear ourselves talk?
            Or, maybe we are interested as to whether the packaging used, since someone brought up the subject, is effective or not. If it is effective it's not over the top, if it isn't then its for show and ridiculous.

I've done a lot of things in engineering, and one thing was a big packaging study for my employer, due to shipping damage. The packaging in that case LOOKED great, but in reality was totally ineffective due to wrong materials. We ended up with less volume and better protection in many cases.

So maybe I'm more interested in it than you are.... that's fair.

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

Here's how they should be packaged: https://www.instagram.com/p/BqvbE2EAhjE/?hl=en

Comment

Unlike many here I leave most sensitive measuring tools in their original boxes. They sit on shelves, they're not stuffed into tool boxes where they rattle around or pieces get lost or damaged. In this particular instance you'll have to carry each piece of the tool needed to the machine it's being used on, then either find a place to set it when you're done with it or carry the pieces back to the tool box. If you take the case and it's contents to the machine you can put everything back in the case, and even set it on the floor without damaging or loosing anything.

The boxes a handy to store the tools that make them easily identifiable and more portable. They're not in the boxes to impress anyone, they do however make it easy to insure everything is accounted for before moving on to the next job. Making condescending remarks as to how and why tools are stored in any particular way adds no value to the conversation. Using shadow boards is mandatory in most aircraft maintenance shops. It insures nothing is left in critical places where it could eventually cause damage or even death. If you don't like the way the tool is packaged don't buy it. Find another that comes in a package that more suits your preference.

Comment

I can understand you point but if it wasn't well packed and arrived damaged then there would be a real reason to complain.

I like the older fitted wooden boxes myself and I've made some nice ones to replace the cheap foam lined plastic ones.

Some of those foam inserts tend to rot and get gummy over time. This has been discussed before in previous threads.

JL..................

Comment

It must be nice to live in such a way that the biggest problem you have is the size of the tool packaging! Just step back and think about this, its meaningless. Don't worry about the little things or you will be burned out before the big things bite you on the ass.

P.S. my biggest problem is not the packaging but the size of my tool 😒
                    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut View Post
                      It must be nice to live in such a way that the biggest problem you have is the size of the tool packaging! Just step back and think about this, its meaningless. Don't worry about the little things or you will be burned out before the big things bite you on the ass.

P.S. my biggest problem is not the packaging but the size of my tool 😒
                      Ever thoght about how much really worthless packaging is floating in the ocean right now? or rotting in landfills, a waste of resources. Yes it's a big problem

Keep eye on ball.
                      Hashim Khan

Comment

Sure it is but a container like that is not suppose to be disposable, it is intended for long term use and the fact it is a little larger then someone likes should not be an earth shattering experience. We have enough big things to worry about like the planet going to $#!+ for one. Covid, religious nuts running wild, global warming to name a few. Don't sweat the little stuff cause the big stuff is about to bite us all on the a$$, HARD!

Ask Plunger if he cares about a questionably oversized package (it looked fine to me) right now.
                        The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

I see both sides of the coin here - as I mentioned before I hate the excessive wasteful packaging just to make products look bigger or to fit more "bling" on it to make it more "appealing" to the mindless drones, I hate that my vitamin supplement plastic bottle can not only support my body weight (briefly) and yet is only 1/3rd full when just purchased !!!

there outta be a LAW!!! the supplement bottles could be 1/3rd the size and be made with half the wall thickness - they could use roughly 1/6th the plastic!!!!!!!!

but goods like in the OP coming with it's own case? multi-piece units that help you keep it all organized ? thank you - thanks for that, I keep all my purchases in those handy boxes.... im unorganized enough - can only imagine digging through the bottom of my tool boxes to try to find something I think I "might" own that's mixed together with dozens of other pieces of things I do own but don't know what they go too.

someone else likes to buy all kinds of tool chests and store them without the boxes they came in fine and yeah wish they gave options for those people instead of them just pitching it all in the trash - like someone else said - stockpile em and drop them off to needy kids who need to keep school supplies together or something... there's people looking for them so why not put them out there maybe even goodwill will take them and give them away for almost nothing...
                          Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 08-27-2021, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut View Post
                            Sure it is but a container like that is not suppose to be disposable, it is intended for long term use and the fact it is a little larger then someone likes should not be an earth shattering experience.
                            You have failed to realize that the original post was made in jest, "a joke" in other words.

I do however dislike the overpackaging of consumer goods for several reasons.
                            Last edited by Bented; 08-27-2021, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bented View Post

You have failed to realize that the original post was made in jest, "a joke" in other words.

I do however dislike the overpackaging of consumer goods for several reasons.
                              Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? so you DON'T throw them away??? you were just "joking" about that???

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? so you DON'T throw them away??? you were just "joking" about that???
                                I do toss most over the top packaged cases measuring tools arrive in, however I do use the cases that dial bore gauges come in, these often contain the annoying .020" thick anvil spacers.

Comment

Working...
                                X