Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need belt for old tool post grinder.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need belt for old tool post grinder.......

When I purchased an old Clausing lathe, a tool post grinder came with it. I don't know what kind of grinder it is but it has a Dumore motor and a casting number of 9-451.... that's all! Anyway it needs a flat belt about 14 inches in length and I don't know where I can buy one. Any suggestion as to where I could get one?

Thanks....Mike

What you have is a Dumore Toolpost Grinder and I believe that company is still in business. Give them a call.

------------------
    Paul G.
    Paul G.

Comment

My old SB 9" lathe uses a flat belt. I'm using a flat automotive belt with no problems.
      Spence

Comment

Dumore is still in biz, in Mauston WI.

They only sell thru dealers, but they will send you a copy of the manual if you have the model no.

Comment

Mcmaster-Carr sells custom length drive belts of the endless flat type.Also Apllied Industrial Tech.also can get them for you.
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

A cog belt running inside out might also work.

Comment

Dumore is indeed still in business and offers excellent customer support, based on the experience of a friend of mine. Give 'em a call. They'll have everything you need. Prices may seem high, but when a Dumore is set up correctly, It Does Not Vibrate. At All. Using a makeshift belt won't get you that. Get the correct one.

----------
              Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
              Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
              Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
              There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
              Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
              Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Guys, I'm not sure if it is a Dumore. The motor clearly is....but the rest? The only other information on the grinder is a casting number of 9-451. Does that sound like something Dumore made?

Thanks for all your suggestions....Mike

Comment

If the motor is, the rest is, just about guaranteed. Going by my friend's Dumore grinder, the only nameplate is on the motor. (n.b. that motor has been high-speed balanced and has precision bearings, by the way.)
                  ----------
                  Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
                  Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
                  Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
                  There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
                  Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
                  Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

There was a tool post grinder on ebay recently that had a Dumore motor and the rest of the grinder appeared to be homemade.

Before you buy a used tool post grinder check with the manufacturer to see if parts are still available. Tool Post Grinder parts are very expensive. Pulley set for a Dumore is in the $500 range. Belts are $40. Some of the belt guards are not available for the older units. You are better off buying a complete unit and paying a little more for it than trying to find and pay for parts.

Comment

Mike,
                      I have a small tool post grinder (Waldown) made here in Aust and I was able to get a replacement belt by looking in the Yellow pages for belting places and they were able to make one up (3/8 wide, flat)for about 1/2 the price of one from the manufacturer. I did have the old belt as a sample though. Have also just had a ribbed belt made for the surface grinder.

Comment

Yeah, very true about old grinders.

I bought a Dumore from the New Jersey used equipment guy. Smallest Dumore they made.

Motor was newer, but still old. Spindle assy was older than dirt, has a gits oiler. Never came with guards. You could see that the motor was never drilled for the belt guard. The spindle housing wasn't turned for the wheel guard.

They didn't have squat at Dumore, even for the newer motor.
                        Replaced bearings, built up the wallered spindle, re-turned chewed pulleys (very slightly, I know about speed issues, so I did both). Made a wheel guard for it.

Used it, it needs better pulleys, and maybe a new spindle, no vibration, but there is chatter.
                        Shoulda bought a newer one.

Comment

Working...
                        X