DoAll Bandsaw for Brian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DoAll Bandsaw for Brian

Friday I drove to Toronto and bought a DoAll bandsaw and a new VFD to drive it from a used machinery dealer. It fit nicely into my F150 pickup truck, and with many tie down straps it rode happily 100 km. from Toronto to my house in Barrie. It is HUGE compared to my old bandsaw, and the tricky part was getting it offloaded from my truck. I had a really bad experience with machinery movers when I bought my lathe five years ago. I had unloaded it from my truck and called the movers. Two giant men came, moved my lathe in about fifteen minutes, and charged me $500. NOT going to do that ever again. So---Today I spent an hour welding up a machine specific device to attach to the end of my engine hoist and unloaded it by myself. Everything went fine, I didn't get hurt, I didn't damage anything on the machine, and it's in my garage. It's 90 degrees outside, and my digital camera fogged up instantly when I took it outside to take pictures. I don't know a lot about this machine yet, but the place I bought it from did turn it on and show me that it did work on three phase. I will post more about it as I learn more about it myself.---Brian

Brian Rupnow
    Design engineer
    Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Nice Saw! Here I thought you were even more space constrained then I was. I could never squeeze one of those into my shop. I recall years ago there was a used machinery place down in the Queen street area - somewhere east of Active surplus/electronics. I never did more than browse - I was living too far away and had no room for machinery at that time anyway.
    "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Saw looks great Brian,is it a LSV model.

Comment

Is that 16" model ML? Get any extra blade guides with it?

Comment

Reggie--Got no extra blade guides, but they should be easy enough to make. I can measure up one of the blade guides that are on it and send you a drawing if you want.---Brian
          Last edited by brian Rupnow; 08-30-2021, 07:04 PM.
          Brian Rupnow
          Design engineer
          Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

First question---The new saw has wheels 1.010" wide x 16" diameter, and the blade on it was 1/2" wide. Can I safely run 3/4" wide blades on it. I don't cut curves, and the 3/4" wide blades are what I have always ran on my smaller converted wood cutting bandsaw.
            Brian Rupnow
            Design engineer
            Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

My wife took some pictures with her phone camera. Bloody thing works better than my digital camera!!
              Brian Rupnow
              Design engineer
              Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

smile Brian, you got a new machine!
                in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Can I safely run 3/4" wide blades on it.
                  I would double check with DoAll or find the manual on-line, but my guess would be no problem.
                  "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

WOW that thing is a beast !! The guy, I mean
                    Nice catch, Brian -- my experience with those saws is yes, you can use 3/4 blade, and yes it will outlast all of us.
                    Do-All saw is one serious piece of kit --
                    25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Download the manual for the saw and check the blade sizes its intended to use. The bigger ML16 saw only goes up to 1/2 blades unless you buy a whole guide assembly for larger blades, mucho $$$$$$$$ I use 1/2 on my DoAll and they work well, selecting the right pitch is what really matters as well as a good quality bimetal blade.

Comment

Mcgyver--Jeez, I've got a look on my face that would scare a baby!!! My wife gets on my case and tells me to smile at people. When I'm not consciously thinking of it, my face just relaxes into ugly mode.
                        Brian Rupnow
                        Design engineer
                        Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
                          Mcgyver--Jeez, I've got a look on my face that would scare a baby!!! .
                          that and the pipe....figured someone was in some serious trouble

in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

That pipe was the handle to operate the hydraulic pump on the machine. I look like I was about to smack somebody with it---After scrambling around unloading the machine from my pickup truck, I finally got wound down enough to look for the model number. It is a model 1612-U with 16" wheels. Although many places like ebay are trying to sell manuals for these machines, I found a manual for this machine put out by the USA army that seems to be free. My new VFD is being shipped to me on Monday or Tuesday, and I have to figure out how to wire it up and get the machine running. There definitely is a connection between the blade guides and the width of blade that can be used. I need to buy a new blade, but have to research this more ---I don't want to buy a bi-metal blade that won't run on this machine because it is too wide.
                            Brian Rupnow
                            Design engineer
                            Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Th DoAll website has free manual downloads for pretty much every machine they've built, have the serial number available.

Comment

Working...
                              X