No announcement yet.

DoAll Bandsaw for Brian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is turning into a very strange voyage. The motor was seized--I could not turn the pulley by hand. I just separated the three main segments of the motor, and the bearings are fine!! There are no score nor gouge marks on the stator nor on the windings. Everything in the motor is filthy dirty, like you would expect to see on an old used motor. I will blow all the dirt out with compressed air, then inspect and reassemble, watching for the motor shaft to start binding again.
    Brian Rupnow
    Design engineer
    Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
      This is turning into a very strange voyage. The motor was seized--I could not turn the pulley by hand. I just separated the three main segments of the motor, and the bearings are fine!! There are no score nor gouge marks on the stator nor on the windings. Everything in the motor is filthy dirty, like you would expect to see on an old used motor. I will blow all the dirt out with compressed air, then inspect and reassemble, watching for the motor shaft to start binding again.
      Is there openings in the frame? You didn't say. IF there is then it is quite likely something found its way inside during the move. The clearance between the rotor and stator is pretty small, wouldn't take much to jam it up.

Guessing there IS openings because you said it was real dirty inside, totally enclosed motors have no way for dirt to enter.

Comment

• "the bearings are fine!!" If the bearings are loose so that they turn easily, they are actually worn and if there is a piece of dirt in the race it can jam the bearing tight. Since it is apart, now is the time to put new bearings in. I always replace them, cheeap insurance.
        Peter
        Grantham, New Hampshire

Comment

• Curiosity killed the cat.---I had to tear that motor down to it's four main components and see what in heck was going on. As I expected, it was very filthy inside full of dirt that's been collecting since 1960 when that model was built.---but---I seen nothing inside that motor that would explain why it was seized. I washed away all the dirt, blew everything dry, then greased the bearings and reassembled it. Now the shaft turns with no effort at all. I checked the stator and the field windings for damage, but there was none. I was going to wire the motor up and try it now, but I simply ran out of gas and had to quit for the day.---That happens when you're seventy five. Ah well, I'll give it hell tomorrow!!!
          Brian Rupnow
          Design engineer
          Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• And we all lived happily ever after!! I tore the motor down, washed away 60 years of accumulated dirt, inspected everything, greased the bearings, and reassembled it. It runs like a race horse. I never did see anything that looked like it might have jambed in there. Motor is back on saw, and works beautifully. VFD is doing everything it was supposed to. HURRAY!!!
            Brian Rupnow
            Design engineer
            Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

And we all lived happily ever after!! I tore the motor down, washed away 60 years of accumulated dirt, inspected everything, greased the bearings, and reassembled it. It runs like a race horse. I never did see anything that looked like it might have jambed in there. Motor is back on saw, and works beautifully. VFD is doing everything it was supposed to. HURRAY!!!
              Strike up the band !! Now... my kingdom for a blade ! LOL

Comment

And we all lived happily ever after!! I tore the motor down, washed away 60 years of accumulated dirt, inspected everything, greased the bearings, and reassembled it. It runs like a race horse. I never did see anything that looked like it might have jambed in there. Motor is back on saw, and works beautifully. VFD is doing everything it was supposed to. HURRAY!!!
                Now flip the blade upside down and run the motor at 120Hz and try some friction cutting.
                Don't worry if the blade starts throwing sparks like a grinding wheel.
                It is supposed to do that. Just don't overdue it and start the rubber tires melting.
                The Zyphers were made to friction saw. Not sure maybe they don't have rubber tires.

---Doozer
                DZER

Comment

Working...
                X