Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[OT] Smart (Cell) Phone upgrade now required - recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went through the vast array of phones not too long ago and settled on a Moto E5. I have been very happy with it.
    If you want to spend a lot of time on the web, a big screen is a plus. I do not, so I chose one with a smaller screen. For me, a rubberized case is mandatory, and has kept me from ever breaking a phone. I am in awe of what $50 will buy these days.
    Any of the Samsung or Motorola's will likely serve you quite well. Most phones these days are just fine, so just choose which of the lesser features you prefer and pull the trigger.

Comment

Company iphone upgraded last year from one with button on top to on side - pain. Bigger but still too small to read without magnifying power of electron microscope. And slippery. I mean like liquid helium I swear it will slip itself uphill is is so shiny. How come the beta-testers didn't complain the heck out of that. And no indication of charge (so you don't complain about battery life) except for a microsecond as you plug it in to the charger which you have to do sooo often.
      Android I believe do have more 'apps' available so might be worth checking that side. Re cloud storage (blocked on our company phone) is there not an alternative offered by the other suppliers? Don't forget that a silly high resolution camera will eat up your storage and data transfer allocation.
      Good thread this as I will need to actually get my own phone when I retire. I rarely make calls or receive them but have got used to the emails and camera, and the family insist on using whatsap.

Comment

I have the Walmart (T-Mobile) alcatel flip phone. Has actual real buttons that you push with tactile feedback. Does 4G OK, not that it matters much -- I only use it for voice when I'm not home. IIRC it cost $20 at walmart and the prepaid cards start at $28/month unlimited talk. I've been pretty happy with it.

If I need to do actual "smart" stuff, I use the desktop computer, the laptop, or sometimes the android tablet.
        Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 09-03-2021, 05:34 PM.
        25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

I cant offer much help here. I have an iPhone 7 that was handed down to me by my granddaughter when she got a newer one. I've had it for 2 years now and still don't know how to use most of it's capabilities. It was given to me when I said that I was probably the only person on the planet that didn't have a cell phone. It makes calls and texts, and takes great pictures, but more times than I care to admit, when it rings I tend to tap the wrong icon and cut the call off. I guess I've gotten too old for these new gadgets.
          “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

having read some of the commentary after my last post, my memory has been jogged.

samsung's touchwiz bloatware is awful. literally one of the worst things you can put on a phone relative to vanilla android and they significantly hamper the usability of the phone.

it sounds like the new moto phones are decent. i dunno who's developing them now, but my droid was one of the best phones I ever had, hands down, and i would still be using it if it worked and could run something less than 10 versions of android older than the latest
            -paul

Comment

I just ordered the Moto E6 - should be here by Monday via FedEx. Thanks fr the advice. I'll report back when I've had a chance to use it.
              http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
              Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
              USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Then comes the joy of learning a new phone - ARGG.
                And changing the endless settings and permissions, some of which are seriously buried.
                These days, rather than figure out what permissions/settings I need for my limited uses, I tend to turn pretty much everything off and deny permissions for most everything, then turn on JUST what I need to make it do what I want. There are just too many to really know what they are all for/doing, and I have found that I don't apparently need 95% of them on!

If you keep your location, data, etc. off all the time they are not needed, you gain a lot of battery life (plus less 'spying').
                Also, since I am frequently away from my phone and don't wish to check it/look at it all the time, tone (or a light) notification for a new text or voicemail is nice. My E5 didn't notify me perpetually, but it was easy to find an app that fulfilled this function.

Comment

I do have two different cheap WiFi/Ethernet security cameras that I was never able to get working on any of my Windows computers, unless I wired them to my router. So maybe this phone will allow me to install an Android App to use them.
                  http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                  Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                  USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
                    I am also leaning toward the Moto e6, if its claim of up to 12 DAYS usage is anywhere near true. I don't expect to be using this for much more than just phone, text, and perhaps web browsing when away from the house WiFi. The Moto also has a 13 MP camera, which is impressive, and better than my Nikon Coolpix L22 with 12 MP, and for $40 I can't go too far wrong, or be too upset if it gets broken or lost. I carry the camera in a case which also holds my small phone, and I carry both around with me almost everywhere. I like the camera for its optical zoom and macro lens, so I may still use it at home,and get a case for the new phone that I can easily and safely carry.

I'm not a fan of Apple products, so even if they were in the $50 range I probably would still not be interested. Yeah, kind of a Ford-Chevy vs Toyota-Honda thing.
                    Don't. Well. Maybe. Be cautious. I've got an E4+. Moto is really bad about dropping support, or worse, giving you a final update that removes features or is unstable. I've had two motos, and my folks both got ones after my good first experience, and we all hate them. All of the cheap phones may have issues, but I can say to not get a moto.

Also camera megapixels mean nothing. A Sony A7SIII has 12MP and costs $3500. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...irrorless.html

21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                    1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                      I definitely hear your comment on size..... Phone size is one reason I still have a flip phone. The other is that the flip phone does not have, or need, a protective case. It has hit the concrete many times, and still works perfectly. And the battery lasts a week, even though it is about 6 years old.

My wife has an Apple phone. The battery has NEVER lasted more than 2 days, even though she has most of the apps and hardware turned off usually. It is already rather large (for me) just bare, but in order not to be damaged if dropped, it also needs a rubber protective case (not unique to Apple as a problem).

The case makes it about 80% thicker, and probably about 10% larger in total area. And, being rubber, it is hard to stick in a pocket, or to pull out of the pocket. Of course that last bit is not all bad, but the flip phone just slides in the pocket and to the bottom, so it has never fallen out of my pants pocket (shirt pockets are a different issue).

The flip phone is also free with my phone plan. Not so, by a goodly margin, for the Apple phone.

It would be technically feasible to make a smart phone that folded, not the uber expensive folding screen, but a 2-piece screen, "connected" by software to act as one. That would make the size good, and the case could be as durable as a flip phone. Nobody does that.
                      I agree with what you say about a lot of smartphone cases, but check out the Otter Box “commuter” series - hard, slick plastic not much larger than my IPhone SE itself, but it provides good protection

Comment

Paul.
                        I think you will like your choice. I do agree with Joel about the permissions and location services. It is much easier to just turn everything off except maybe phone and text notifications. Everything else will ask if you want to do something that needs a permission turned on. Location services do reduce battery life and if you don't need real time mapping or gps information just turn it off.
                        Robin

Happily working on my second million Gave up on the first

Comment

I am also leaning toward the Moto e6, if its claim of up to 12 DAYS usage is anywhere near true. I don't expect to be using this for much more than just phone, text, and perhaps web browsing when away from the house WiFi. The Moto also has a 13 MP camera, which is impressive, and better than my Nikon Coolpix L22 with 12 MP, and for $40 I can't go too far wrong, or be too upset if it gets broken or lost. I carry the camera in a case which also holds my small phone, and I carry both around with me almost everywhere. I like the camera for its optical zoom and macro lens, so I may still use it at home,and get a case for the new phone that I can easily and safely carry.

I'm not a fan of Apple products, so even if they were in the $50 range I probably would still not be interested. Yeah, kind of a Ford-Chevy vs Toyota-Honda thing.
                          I just ordered the Moto E6 - should be here by Monday via FedEx. Thanks fr the advice. I'll report back when I've had a chance to use it.
                          Nice! Hopefully it's going to be everything in a phone you want, need, and more. Kind of like the Ford-Chevy vs Toyota-Honda thing. Not so much what you've got so long as it gets you to where you're going. Looking forward to your user report.

Comment

I have two moto G7 power phones. The battery life is phenomenal (longest standby is 22 days I think) but the phone signal is never as strong as other phones around me and they don't do wifi calling.
                            Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
                            Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
                            Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

I just got an email from TracFone that I will need to upgrade (replace) my existing LG306G phone because of network upgrades to 5G.
                              Well that is not what you want to hear. My phone company kind of locked me into their "smart phone" system by force or fear.

Force won. I have a samsung s20+5g. It is ok, I liked the smaller flip phones really..

I actually tried (did) skirt the system when I had a flip phone that was wifi capable, and other services.
                              I found a way around it and used my not connected to the Data stream as a smart phone. In other words. I made a wifi phone capable of going on the WWW. They used to charge $30 a month. F that for a flip phone? Naw. JR

Comment

Originally posted by Peter. View Post
                                I have two moto G7 power phones. The battery life is phenomenal (longest standby is 22 days I think) but the phone signal is never as strong as other phones around me and they don't do wifi calling.
                                I disagree with some of that statement. First off, the Motorola G7 Power most certainly does make WiFi calls. I do it all the time with mine. As a communications person now retired I tend to work to understand the limits of my technology. As for the weaker signal issue... I also noticed this, but I am fairly sure it is more of a display issue than a true reception thing. My phone is with Consumer Cellular and homes on the AT&T network. My wife is with Cricket with an LG phone and also on the AT&T network. My wifes phone always has more displayed signal than my Motorola, but both phones always work, and more annoyingly, do not work in the same places. This all leads me to worry less about the number of bars and more about if it will actually make a call. As for battery life, the G7 will last for 2=3 weeks with light phone and data use. I have had mine last for over a week with 20+ hours of phone use.
                                Last edited by rdfeil; 09-04-2021, 05:04 AM.
                                Robin

Happily working on my second million Gave up on the first

Comment

Working...
                                X