Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[OT] Smart (Cell) Phone upgrade now required - recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recommend a flip phone.
    No internet to distract you.
    No touch screen to aggravate you.
    No text messages to bother you.
    No camera to keep you from paying attention.
    No charge for data rates.
    I have one and I love my life.
    Get real and get with it.
    Stop being a zombie.

-Doozer
    DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
      Stop being a zombie.

-Doozer
      You probably have a crank phone in your shop 🙂

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
        Stop being a zombie.

-Doozer
        You can roleplay Amish as much as you like, but telling normal people that they are zombies because they can operate modern electronics just makes you look dumb.

Comment

What amazes me is how many people can't seem to just ignore it. Particularly while driving. It reminds me of Pavlov's dogs.
          25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

At the house I have Xfinity internet. And that means I can have Xfinity Mobile phone service. Uo to 5 lines. Unlimited talk and text for FREE! They do require me to pay $12 for a Gig of shared data - and I don't use my phone for internet access unless I have WiFi available. Currently have 3 phones, LG X charge, Moto E, and an LG Stylo 4. 2 of the phones where free for transferring a phone number. With Taxes included my monthly phone bill is around $18 for 3 phones with unlimited talk and text. The cameras all work well and I do like the ability to take a photo and text it to either friends or my home computer. As for most other features, I don't need or use them.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by rdfeil View Post

I disagree with some of that statement. First off, the Motorola G7 Power most certainly does make WiFi calls. I do it all the time with mine. As a communications person now retired I tend to work to understand the limits of my technology. As for the weaker signal issue... I also noticed this, but I am fairly sure it is more of a display issue than a true reception thing. My phone is with Consumer Cellular and homes on the AT&T network. My wife is with Cricket with an LG phone and also on the AT&T network. My wifes phone always has more displayed signal than my Motorola, but both phones always work, and more annoyingly, do not work in the same places. This all leads me to worry less about the number of bars and more about if it will actually make a call. As for battery life, the G7 will last for 2=3 weeks with light phone and data use. I have had mine last for over a week with 20+ hours of phone use.
              Fair enough I will just say that neither of mine make wifi calls. The weak signal thing is very real IMO. The reson I have two is because I moved to a new work site and my phone kept dropping calls. Thinking it was faulty I quickly bought a replacment and that too kept dropping calls. I thien replaced it with a budget Huawei (p-smart 2019) which not only did not drop calls but also used the wifi in the basement office to make wifi calls where the other two will not.

Even now I use one of the Moto's as a spare phone and the signal (both cellular and wifi) is always weaker than the Huawei. The second one I use as a zooming device on my autocollimator, as it will record vidoe for many hours on a single charge.
              Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
              Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
              Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Originally posted by MikeL46 View Post
                At the house I have Xfinity internet. And that means I can have Xfinity Mobile phone service. Uo to 5 lines. Unlimited talk and text for FREE! They do require me to pay $12 for a Gig of shared data - and I don't use my phone for internet access unless I have WiFi available. Currently have 3 phones, LG X charge, Moto E, and an LG Stylo 4. 2 of the phones where free for transferring a phone number. With Taxes included my monthly phone bill is around $18 for 3 phones with unlimited talk and text. The cameras all work well and I do like the ability to take a photo and text it to either friends or my home computer. As for most other features, I don't need or use them.

Mike
                My mom has that. I was upgrading her iPhone 6s to a Moto that could do wifi calling because all the wireless service sucks where she lives, and that I could do remote support on because Apple, in their patrimonial wisdom, won't permit it. I called them to check that a Moto G power purchased from Amazon, not them, would work perfectly with their system. They assured me it would. Then it turns out that even though they sell the phone, they could not support voicemail on the phone I bought! I moved her over to Redpocket like my whole family has. $10 for 500gb/500min/500texts on Verizon.

Doozer you sound like a guy yelling from his horse drawn wagon at those danged horseless carriages! The utility of these things is virtually unlimited, it's having in your pocket a decent camera, a flashlight, a dictation taking notebook, and, oh yeah, access to all the knowledge of humankind. They're pretty handy. One of my favorite tricks is when you're in store and find something without a price and of course there's no clerks around, you can scan the SKU yourself! And if you have the Homedepot or Lowes apps, not only will it tell you before you leave if what you want is in stock, but it will tell you the aisle and bay!

Comment

*shrug* I have a cell phone for *my* convenience, not everyone elses. Just in case i break down in the middle of BFE, or have a medical emergency. Thats the only reason I have one. My desktop computer does everything else, and it does it better.
                  25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

I do BYOP services.. (tracfone, Mint mobile, Visible..) I bought a used pixel xl and used that until recently. then bought a used pixel 3 xl.. Never spend much over $100 for a phone. (and it is fast and the camera is awesome...)

sam

Comment

Originally posted by rdfeil View Post

My phone is with Consumer Cellular and homes on the AT&T network. My wife is with Cricket with an LG phone and also on the AT&T network. My wifes phone always has more displayed signal than my Motorola, but both phones always work, and more annoyingly, do not work in the same places.
                      What you will likely find is that while both of you are using AT&T, you are probably not using the same "bands". Each reseller (and both of you are using resellers) negotiates access to a set of frequency bands of a physical cellular company. . A phone sold by AT&T for use on their network is likely to be able to use most or all of the bands. This makes it more likely for the AT&T branded phone to find and connect to a stronger AT&T signal.

Sometimes you can contact your provider and ask to be set to different bands, but it's not likely. From https://www.att.com/support/article/wireless/KM1008740/ :

Advanced network technology
                      With 4G Long Term Evolution (LTE2) technology, we can meet your demands to access a variety of content over our mobile network. We use a variety of technologies and frequencies to support our network. Some areas within a market may have different spectrum portfolios depending on the area and the license they own. Our 4G LTE network is composed of the following bands:
                      • 700 MHz: Bands 12/17/29
                      • 850 MHz: Band 5
                      • 1900 MHz: Band 2
                      • 1700 MHz /2100 MHz: Bands 4/66
                      • 2300 MHz: Band 30
                      Dan
                      At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Gee I just turned 78 and purchased a new iPhone 11 six months ago, my iPhone 6 could no longer be updated. The changeover was automatic with the Apple app, zero issues. I have had no problems with Apple ever, but I hated giving up my Blackberry. BTW my wife got the SE which I almost did... but her battery life is terrible. I could go three days on mine with medium usage.
                        Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician - Fine Line Automation CNC 4x4 Router

Comment

Originally posted by wmgeorge View Post
                          Gee I just turned 78 and purchased a new iPhone 11 six months ago, my iPhone 6 could no longer be updated. The changeover was automatic with the Apple app, zero issues. I have had no problems with Apple ever, but I hated giving up my Blackberry. BTW my wife got the SE which I almost did... but her battery life is terrible. I could go three days on mine with medium usage.
                          If you truly have never, ever had any problems at all with Apple, you aren't trying hard enough.

Seriously, I could make the same claim for my Android phones, given that I'm a former computer systems professional and know what to expect from the phone and from the operating system. I know the difference between a flakey app and a flakey phone. For instance, my phone will not allow me to access the internet while I'm talking over the cellular net. That's a major shortcoming. But it's the cellular carrier that imposes that restriction, not the OS nor the phone's hardware.

Dan
                          At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Unlike a lot of folks on here I can handle tech things pretty well, so No issues with the Apple phone. There are apps and more that I take off or don't use but very comfortable with smart phones. I was building computers back in the day and still do some even now. Nope if you can't handle tech, then grab a flip phone and go to it. This is 2021 get with the program.
                            Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician - Fine Line Automation CNC 4x4 Router

Comment

You're purchasing a cell phone, not forming a business partnership, not getting married. If you don't like it, it doesn't do what you need or it's gets lost or dropped into a river or other body of water, you can just get another. A pretty simple purchase, not anything to agonize over.

Comment

Originally posted by gellfex View Post

Doozer you sound like a guy yelling from his horse drawn wagon at those danged horseless carriages! The utility of these things is virtually unlimited, it's having in your pocket a decent camera, a flashlight, a dictation taking notebook, and, oh yeah, access to all the knowledge of humankind. They're pretty handy. One of my favorite tricks is when you're in store and find something without a price and of course there's no clerks around, you can scan the SKU yourself! And if you have the Homedepot or Lowes apps, not only will it tell you before you leave if what you want is in stock, but it will tell you the aisle and bay!
                                What are you an evangelical ? ? ?
                                I have been saved already buddy.
                                Keep the pamphlet.

-D
                                DZER

Comment

Working...
                                X