Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[OT] Smart (Cell) Phone upgrade now required - recommendations?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by ikdor View Post

    You can roleplay Amish as much as you like, but telling normal people that they are zombies because they can operate modern electronics just makes you look dumb.
    You are attempting to insult someone who you will never meet and is only text on a screen,
    Who is looking dumb ? ?

    -D
    DZER

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by wmgeorge View Post
      Unlike a lot of folks on here I can handle tech things pretty well, so No issues with the Apple phone. There are apps and more that I take off or don't use but very comfortable with smart phones. I was building computers back in the day and still do some even now. Nope if you can't handle tech, then grab a flip phone and go to it. This is 2021 get with the program.
      I used to build computers too. I still run freeBSD, using it right now. The difference is, I choose not to deal with the tech. Being comfortable with it has zero to do with it. I have other things to do with my time besides configuring. When I want a phone, or some appliance, I want it to do only one thing, and do it well (UNIX philosophy). Also I value my privacy far more than many, and *every* smart device is tracking you and reporting... which is why the cell phone sits in a steel ammo case unless its in use.
      25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

      Comment


      • #48
        If you want to go cheap I would pick up a used iPhone. iPhones have the longest software support in general compared to android phones which can be orphaned very quickly. I have two android tablets and they had no support after the next generation of android os they came with. Ill be buying windows based tablets from now on.

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by macona View Post
          .........................I have two android tablets and they had no support after the next generation of android os they came with. Ill be buying windows based tablets from now on.
          If you can find windows tablets... I have one, but after it got smacked (sidewalk flew up and whacked it ) I tried to replace it. Nuh-unh... they had lots of android, no windows, (I think they had one that was insanely expensive).
          2730

          Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

          Everything not impossible is compulsory

          Comment


          • #50
            I have a Winbook 7" Windows tablet I bought maybe five years ago. It had Win8 and it got bricked when I tried to upgrade to Win10. I took it to a local PC repair shop and for $50 he got it working with Win10. Last time I tried to use it it would not power up. Probably left off charge too long. The screen is really too small to be practical, but I liked the idea of a tablet sized Windows device.

            Click image for larger version

Name:	Winbook_TW700_3022_blur.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	1960369
            I was able to load my BTSA-3 program which connects via USB to a device I designed, basically a power line frequency oscilloscope:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	BTSA3-Winbook_3036.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	1960370 Click image for larger version

Name:	BTSA3-Winbook_3037.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	232.1 KB
ID:	1960372
            Click image for larger version

Name:	BTSA3-Winbook_3038.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	1960371
            http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
            Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
            USA Maryland 21030

            Comment


            • #51
              You could get win 8 tablets pretty easily 5 years ago.

              The nice thing about Android tablets is that there are a fair number of apps for them. There is at least one DRO app, using a small external board and the scales. it's been shown here before.

              When mine will not power up, it needs charged. (It still works, but the screen looks like a spiderweb, and the touchscreen has some dead spots). Usually 5 min of charging will bring it to where it will work while being charged.
              2730

              Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

              Everything not impossible is compulsory

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

                I used to build computers too. I still run freeBSD, using it right now. The difference is, I choose not to deal with the tech. Being comfortable with it has zero to do with it. I have other things to do with my time besides configuring. When I want a phone, or some appliance, I want it to do only one thing, and do it well (UNIX philosophy). Also I value my privacy far more than many, and *every* smart device is tracking you and reporting... which is why the cell phone sits in a steel ammo case unless its in use.
                My post was not directed toward you... but who do you think is tracking you? If you do not want to be tracked you should sell your computers and cell phones because if your online one way or another you will be tracked.
                Just for fun google nickel-city-fab and see what you get
                Last edited by wmgeorge; 09-07-2021, 06:55 PM.
                Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician - Fine Line Automation CNC 4x4 Router

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by wmgeorge View Post

                  My post was not directed toward you... but who do you think is tracking you? If you do not want to be tracked you should sell your computers and cell phones because if your online one way or another you will be tracked.
                  Just for fun google nickel-city-fab and see what you get
                  It's pretty well known by now that both Google and FB track you everywhere.
                  If you see the FB logo on a website, it is tracking you.
                  Fortunately there are some ways to block them.

                  As for my landline phone, I still have it -- with a Ma Bell rotary dial.
                  The cell is a "dumb" phone with a proprietary OS (not android nor apple).
                  25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    The cell is a "dumb" phone with a proprietary OS (not android nor apple).

                    When you connect to a tower to make a call, makes no difference.... They will know where your at. Even if you turn your phone off they can still track you, removing the battery or putting in that metal ammo box is the only way to stop Them.
                    Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician - Fine Line Automation CNC 4x4 Router

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      If you want to see all the various tracking websites and sharing of info from your phone you can install the app Blokada. The free version seems pretty good. You don't need to start blocking access but it is hard to resist and it is satisfying. It is definitely an eye-opener.

                      Once you start blocking some apps you'll see samsung/android/google use different paths to get their data. Whack-a-mole. I haven't tried it on an iphone.

                      I have it on a samsung phone, which I have borrowed for the decent camera (which I presently need). I otherwise loathe samsung.

                      I need a new phone, that isn't loaded with spyware and mandatory apps, but I'm not sure what I'll get. I don't want to make phone configuration etc my life. A decent iphone 6 is cheap at around $50 or less. I've had one for a while but haven't had time to try it.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Here's a phone surprise my wife had last night. After going to bed her phone as usual was on the charger, Samsung Galaxy 6 (I believe). The phone started beeping, sort of an alarm type noise. The screen displayed a message about water detected on the charger and to unplug the charger. Now, upon trying to clarify things I asked her if it said unplug charger or was it the phone to be unplugged? Which ever it was it was a surprise. Not a surprise so much about water, we have an area near the kitchen sink where we charge our phones and empty pockets of wallets, keys, etc.


                        BTW, our phones are older so we'll replace when they quit working for whatever reason. I don't really need it, but I lust after the new iPhone with LIDAR. Can't justify the $1200+ though.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          I received my phone and tried to set it up using the TracFone website, but it would not accept the authorization, so I had to use chat. The first agent left me hanging, saying the process would take about four hours, and they would call back. After five hours with no callback, I got another agent on chat, and he showed me how to reboot the phone so I finally got it activated. I had problems setting up my voicemail, but somehow I got that working. Sometimes the phone will ring just once, and it might flash something about a message or call, but then the message would disappear. It might be the anti-spam settings, so I turned them off. Apparently there have been problems with text messages disappearing:

                          https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/moto-e-...ry/m-p/5045685

                          https://www.fonedog.com/android-data...r-android.html

                          I'm not real happy about the user interface, but I may just have to get used to it. I also need to finger out how to transfer my contacts and messages from my old phone.

                          I also ordered a couple protective cases, one for me, and one for "Buster" John, who always finds ways to break everything he touches.

                          https://www.ebay.com/itm/274663762297

                          https://www.ebay.com/itm/333487485830
                          http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                          Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                          USA Maryland 21030

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                            You could get win 8 tablets pretty easily 5 years ago.

                            The nice thing about Android tablets is that there are a fair number of apps for them. There is at least one DRO app, using a small external board and the scales. it's been shown here before.

                            When mine will not power up, it needs charged. (It still works, but the screen looks like a spiderweb, and the touchscreen has some dead spots). Usually 5 min of charging will bring it to where it will work while being charged.
                            I have a win 8 Lenovo tablet and it works fine, something is up with the display though. There are a ton of Win 10 tablets on amazon with anything from atom processors up to i5s in various price ranges. Though my biggest issue is I need 32bit win 10 because of drivers for legacy stuff.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by macona View Post

                              I have a win 8 Lenovo tablet and it works fine, something is up with the display though. There are a ton of Win 10 tablets on amazon with anything from atom processors up to i5s in various price ranges. Though my biggest issue is I need 32bit win 10 because of drivers for legacy stuff.
                              On my MacBook I run a WinXP virtual machine so I can use my bootleg version of Toyota’s software with my OBDI reader. Don’t need to use old hardware to use old hardware/software.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                I figured out how to transfer my contacts from the old LG phone to my new Moto E6. I had to pair the phones via Bluetooth, and transfer each contact file individually. Then I found that they did not appear in my contacts list on the new phone. I had to go to Bluetooth files, and choose to import each contact into the list.

                                Then I tried to transfer some text messages. Those did not have the option to use Bluetooth, but I could copy to SIM card or phone memory. However, I could not find those files on the SIM card or the phone memory. I was told I could email them to my email account via WiFi, but it said "Network Unavailable". I tried to log onto my gmail account but it would not work because it said JavaScript was not enabled. However, I was able to access my EVcalculator on http://www.enginuitysystems.com. And I had to enter the full URL for it to connect.

                                Maybe the messages and contact addresses are in a hidden partition? I have tried removing the SD card to read by my computer via USB, but no joy.

                                [edit] Disc Management reports only a single partition in the SD card. So files are probably hidden in phone memory.
                                Last edited by PStechPaul; 09-12-2021, 01:16 AM.
                                http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                                Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                                USA Maryland 21030

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X