Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[OT] Smart (Cell) Phone upgrade now required - recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I make chips
    replied

When changing phones, samsung has a nice free app to move everything from your old phone to the new one and it works on most droid brands or apple.
    Download samsung smart switch. Works quite slick and seamlessly.

Leave a comment:

• gellfex
    replied
    Originally posted by Bmyers View Post

configure a few events in the app "Tasker" and you can mimic the shake and wobble on any android.
    Cool. I guess I should have said don't rather than can't.

Leave a comment:

• Bmyers
    replied
    Originally posted by gellfex View Post

Motos come with about as clean an android install as you'll find. Plus they do tricks others can't like shake for flashlight or wobble for camera.
    configure a few events in the app "Tasker" and you can mimic the shake and wobble on any android.

Leave a comment:

• gellfex
    replied
    Originally posted by Glug View Post
    I need a new phone, that isn't loaded with spyware and mandatory apps, but I'm not sure what I'll get. I don't want to make phone configuration etc my life. A decent iphone 6 is cheap at around $50 or less. I've had one for a while but haven't had time to try it.
    Motos come with about as clean an android install as you'll find. Plus they do tricks others can't like shake for flashlight or wobble for camera.

Leave a comment:

• wmgeorge
    replied
    Apple uses a back up to the Cloud to Restore to the new iPhone 11 I purchased. Zero issues.

Leave a comment:

• PStechPaul
    replied
    I found a Windows App that should be able to back up and restore content on my LG phone, but after installing, it does not show the mobile phone as being connected, although it definitely is.

https://www.lg.com/us/support/help-l...-1438110404543

It says for older devices I might need to use PCsuite, but the link is broken.

I found the Google One app website on my computer, but the browser on the LG phone is too clunky to be of much use. There's really not much else I need from the old phone. I already have copies of pictures, videos, sound files, and contacts.I can manually copy info from messages if needed, but there's really nothing of importance.

Leave a comment:

• Sparky_NY
    replied
    Paul, I have replaced/upgraded phones many times over the years and transferred messages / contacts and apps to the new phone. There are several ways of doing it but google has a backup app preinstalled on most android phones that always worked extremely well. Basically, you backup your old phone info to google and then with the new phone do a restore. The old phone although deactivated on your cell carrier can still backup via WIFI connection. The method always worked extremely well, restored pics, call history, pretty much everything as far as I could tell, no manual transferring was needed.

Leave a comment:

• PStechPaul
    replied
    I figured out how to transfer my contacts from the old LG phone to my new Moto E6. I had to pair the phones via Bluetooth, and transfer each contact file individually. Then I found that they did not appear in my contacts list on the new phone. I had to go to Bluetooth files, and choose to import each contact into the list.

Then I tried to transfer some text messages. Those did not have the option to use Bluetooth, but I could copy to SIM card or phone memory. However, I could not find those files on the SIM card or the phone memory. I was told I could email them to my email account via WiFi, but it said "Network Unavailable". I tried to log onto my gmail account but it would not work because it said JavaScript was not enabled. However, I was able to access my EVcalculator on http://www.enginuitysystems.com. And I had to enter the full URL for it to connect.

Maybe the messages and contact addresses are in a hidden partition? I have tried removing the SD card to read by my computer via USB, but no joy.

[edit] Disc Management reports only a single partition in the SD card. So files are probably hidden in phone memory.
    Last edited by PStechPaul; 09-12-2021, 01:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• RB211
    replied
    Originally posted by macona View Post

I have a win 8 Lenovo tablet and it works fine, something is up with the display though. There are a ton of Win 10 tablets on amazon with anything from atom processors up to i5s in various price ranges. Though my biggest issue is I need 32bit win 10 because of drivers for legacy stuff.
    On my MacBook I run a WinXP virtual machine so I can use my bootleg version of Toyota’s software with my OBDI reader. Don’t need to use old hardware to use old hardware/software.

Leave a comment:

• macona
    replied
    Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
    You could get win 8 tablets pretty easily 5 years ago.

The nice thing about Android tablets is that there are a fair number of apps for them. There is at least one DRO app, using a small external board and the scales. it's been shown here before.

When mine will not power up, it needs charged. (It still works, but the screen looks like a spiderweb, and the touchscreen has some dead spots). Usually 5 min of charging will bring it to where it will work while being charged.
    I have a win 8 Lenovo tablet and it works fine, something is up with the display though. There are a ton of Win 10 tablets on amazon with anything from atom processors up to i5s in various price ranges. Though my biggest issue is I need 32bit win 10 because of drivers for legacy stuff.

Leave a comment:

• PStechPaul
    replied
    I received my phone and tried to set it up using the TracFone website, but it would not accept the authorization, so I had to use chat. The first agent left me hanging, saying the process would take about four hours, and they would call back. After five hours with no callback, I got another agent on chat, and he showed me how to reboot the phone so I finally got it activated. I had problems setting up my voicemail, but somehow I got that working. Sometimes the phone will ring just once, and it might flash something about a message or call, but then the message would disappear. It might be the anti-spam settings, so I turned them off. Apparently there have been problems with text messages disappearing:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/moto-e-...ry/m-p/5045685

https://www.fonedog.com/android-data...r-android.html

I'm not real happy about the user interface, but I may just have to get used to it. I also need to finger out how to transfer my contacts and messages from my old phone.

I also ordered a couple protective cases, one for me, and one for "Buster" John, who always finds ways to break everything he touches.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274663762297

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333487485830

Leave a comment:

• DR
    replied
    Here's a phone surprise my wife had last night. After going to bed her phone as usual was on the charger, Samsung Galaxy 6 (I believe). The phone started beeping, sort of an alarm type noise. The screen displayed a message about water detected on the charger and to unplug the charger. Now, upon trying to clarify things I asked her if it said unplug charger or was it the phone to be unplugged? Which ever it was it was a surprise. Not a surprise so much about water, we have an area near the kitchen sink where we charge our phones and empty pockets of wallets, keys, etc.

BTW, our phones are older so we'll replace when they quit working for whatever reason. I don't really need it, but I lust after the new iPhone with LIDAR. Can't justify the $1200+ though.

Leave a comment:

• Glug
    replied
    If you want to see all the various tracking websites and sharing of info from your phone you can install the app Blokada. The free version seems pretty good. You don't need to start blocking access but it is hard to resist and it is satisfying. It is definitely an eye-opener.

Once you start blocking some apps you'll see samsung/android/google use different paths to get their data. Whack-a-mole. I haven't tried it on an iphone.

I have it on a samsung phone, which I have borrowed for the decent camera (which I presently need). I otherwise loathe samsung.

I need a new phone, that isn't loaded with spyware and mandatory apps, but I'm not sure what I'll get. I don't want to make phone configuration etc my life. A decent iphone 6 is cheap at around $50 or less. I've had one for a while but haven't had time to try it.

Leave a comment:

• wmgeorge
    replied
    The cell is a "dumb" phone with a proprietary OS (not android nor apple).

When you connect to a tower to make a call, makes no difference.... They will know where your at. Even if you turn your phone off they can still track you, removing the battery or putting in that metal ammo box is the only way to stop Them.

Leave a comment:

• nickel-city-fab
    replied
    Originally posted by wmgeorge View Post

My post was not directed toward you... but who do you think is tracking you? If you do not want to be tracked you should sell your computers and cell phones because if your online one way or another you will be tracked.
    Just for fun google nickel-city-fab and see what you get
    It's pretty well known by now that both Google and FB track you everywhere.
    If you see the FB logo on a website, it is tracking you.
    Fortunately there are some ways to block them.

As for my landline phone, I still have it -- with a Ma Bell rotary dial.
    The cell is a "dumb" phone with a proprietary OS (not android nor apple).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X