McMaster-Carr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McMaster-Carr

I have always depended on them for honest shipping costs, even though they never showed it. Well, today I was compiling a list of stuff to make for a fellow, and kept adding items to the "cart". When I looked, I was shocked! They now have some sort of program adding shipping for each item. When I was done, the shipping was just about as much as the materials. I had one item that was a 6 foot rod, and I have received many items in the same 6 foot tube. Every item I had on my list would have easily fit inside the same tube, with a little padding in between.

I resorted to, forgive me, Amazon, and found 4 of the 6 items I can get from them, free shipping!!!!!

I hate doing that, but money is money. I always felt McM-C treated shipping quite fair, but no more.

Holy cow! Glad you pointed that out. Shipping for two four-foot lengths of heat shrink tubing $25? See you later, McMaster.
    Southwest Utah

Comment

Same here. You have to watch their shipping costs closely. Knowing this I cautiously clicked around on an order for some light weight plastic. I couldn't find the shipping cost broken out and got frustrated and clicked the order button.(Pretty cagey of them not showing shipping $$ until after you order) Holy ****. Chicago to Milwaukee a measly 125 miles to my house $25 for a package that weighed less than one pound. Sadly now I only buy things from Mickey if I can't find it elsewhere.

Comment

I noticed the last few orders from them came from different locations whereas before they came from the same place. Shipping from two locations would increase the costs. Maybe they are having trouble keeping stock and pull if from wherever they stock it? I found by removing a single item sometimes the shipping price would drop a good bit.

Comment

Ridgerunner, I buy often from MSC, and they frequently ship from different warehouses across the country. The shipping I pay stays the same (normal). Some will say their prices are so high they can do that, but they've always treated me fairly and on many items I get a 25-30% discount so I don't think that's it.

I Make Chips: It used to irritate me that McM didn't show shipping up front, but I never felt the charges levied for shipping were, in the end, out of line. I got to where I just trusted them and didn't worry about it. I'll not be using them any more, there are too many other options.
          Last edited by chipmaker4130; 09-05-2021, 06:18 PM.
          Southwest Utah

Comment

McMaster is reasonable about shipping. The trick is to CALL THEM.

Comment

Originally posted by metalmagpie View Post
              Well, when did that all change? It hasn't been very long since I ordered under the 'mystery shipping' and got a fair deal. Did the requirement to call come up when they started showing real-time shipping charges?
              Southwest Utah

Comment

You fellows also know you can have them use USPS as an option, right? You can either call and ask or type it in the memo box in the order. Have them set it as your default.

A lot of the shipping costs today are because of the shippers themselves, not the sellers. Like all the trucking companies, UPS and FedEx are having trouble finding-and keeping- good drivers. That is, ones that both want to show up to work, and can pass a drug test.

Doc.
                Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Yes, I ordered 3 feet of 12L14 3/4" Hex stock. Only needed a few inches. Shipping cost for 3ft was the same for 1ft, but 6ft nearly doubled the shipping, making the 3ft the best value

Comment

They started pulling that crap with the shipping several years ago. At one time it was reasonable but then they started shipping multiple packages from the same location with a separate shipping charge.
                    I would always call and complain and they would credit me. The sales person always told me if that happens just call us.

Then one day I get a call from them............Some smart talking arrogant prick. Tells me he thinks it time we call it quits. I asked why, he said well...... you've called several times and complained about the shipping prices, you called about damaged items and we have sent you a lot of samples. I told him your sales people offered me the samples, I didn't beg for them. If a item gets damaged in shipping and I can't use it what do you expect me to do ? When I get multiple packages shipped from the same location at the same time and get charged a separate shipping charge I call and get it taken care of like your sales people have told me to do. The prick says..........nah..... I think we'll call it quits. Haven't bought a thing from them since and haven't had any trouble finding anything I need.

JL.................

Comment

Originally posted by rws View Post
                      I have always depended on them for honest shipping costs,

, I was shocked! They now have some sort of program adding shipping for each item. .
                      Yeah, fuk that.. I always go to MMC when I need quality, they never say who ifs the manufature though. And its always the top of the line. I dont care what it is.

I have hundreds of purchase orders. Each one was filled with the top of the line item.

Shipping? Id call you contact. You know, your guy over at MMC??...

You dont have one? Ok... Yeah. Hit someone else up.. JR

Edit: I dont know much,, It is nice to come here and vent. Thanks, JR
                      Last edited by JRouche; 09-06-2021, 12:11 AM.

Comment

Yes, yes, YES, DO CALL THEM!

Originally posted by metalmagpie View Post
                        Paul A.
                        SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                        You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

McMaster_Carr is such a great company, providing me such incredibly good service for so many years, that I must question the integrity of anyone who would bash them.
                          12" x 35" Logan 2557V lathe
                          Index "Super 55" mill
                          18" Vectrax vertical bandsaw
                          7" x 10" Vectrax mitering bandsaw
                          24" State disc sander

Comment

I've been buying from them for years, and have yet to be screwed on shipping.

If one item comes from one place, and another from a different warehouse, OK, that double shipping is legitimate.

That difference with length is normal. Shippers often charge for odd shapes, both United Parcel Smashers and Federal probably do that. I have not checked, but it would be in-character.
                            Last edited by J Tiers; 09-06-2021, 02:08 AM.

Keep eye on ball.
                            Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Nickel View Post
                              A lot of the shipping costs today are because of the shippers themselves, not the sellers. Like all the trucking companies, UPS and FedEx are having trouble finding-and keeping- good drivers. That is, ones that both want to show up to work, and can pass a drug test.

Doc.
                              This. Also fuel surcharges, since the cost of fuel has doubled in the past year.

Another facet to the driver shortage is covid compliance. Some shippers have enacted vaccine mandates for anyone entering their warehouses and docks. This puts the shipping companies in a fix, since many truckers will walk off the job if they try to mandate the jab.
                              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
                              X