No announcement yet.

McMaster-Carr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like most people here McM has been fair to me on shipping in the past. The problem is that shipping has become insane in the last year or so. Recently I have ordered some things for a car project and often it took much longer to receive parts and at a much higher cost. I had one supplier email me that there will be a delay as they were having difficulty even getting the shipping companies to pick up their shipments. Last week I ordered a part from Jegs. It was listed as "in stock and ships today". It took 4 days to travel 100 miles. When I looked at the tracking it sat in FedEx's terminal for 2 days before it started the journey.

Comment

order from amazon and ask for a material cert

you're not buying the same stuff. even if some of it is the same stuff, most of it is inferior crap from Amazon
      -paul

Comment

I looked today and something changed over the weekend. I had a couple items on an open order, 10 feet of 1/2" titeflex conduit and a box of 10-24 sockethead screws, the shipping on those two items the website claimed was $19.85 Saturday. I added a cord plug a strain relief and some control wire today and the shipping charge for the whole order was showing as $11.25.

So this has me wondering if the shipping charge is tied to the dollar amount of the order and that orders less than $50 are inccuring higher rates???

Edit: Just tested my theory with some random items. 5 pack of 5/8-11 x 2 bolts $10.30 shipping. Added a 1" iron pipe sleeve, shipping increased to $10.39, then added a ball valve $10.49, then a ball bearing $10.91. So with only $.61 increase in shipping costs after adding 8lbs worth of stuff, I'd say whatever the problem was it's fixed.

Maybe UPS charged higher rates while dealing with Ida???
        Last edited by wierdscience; 09-07-2021, 01:07 AM.
        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

[QUOTE=rws;n1960182 I always felt McM-C treated shipping quite fair, but no more.[/QUOTE]

That is the start.

We are going to experience another depression. Some of us have been trough one or more.

Its nice to be able to fix each and every applience in my house.

Those poor sucker that cant. JR

Good Luck.. JR

Comment

So how does china do it. We all have ebayed something for a few bucks like $2-3 from china. And it comes to your door freight included. Now think about it. From the other side of the planet, product and shipping included for two bucks. I order something from 100 miles away that weighs almost nothing and the freight is $25. I guess my algorithm is screwed up.

Comment

Originally posted by I make chips View Post
              So how does china do it. We all have ebayed something for a few bucks like $2-3 from china. And it comes to your door freight included. Now think about it. From the other side of the planet, product and shipping included for two bucks. I order something from 100 miles away that weighs almost nothing and the freight is $25. I guess my algorithm is screwed up.
              They pay almost nothing for postage.

The chinese government charges them very little if anything for shipping (it's export, and paid for with chinese internal money), and they get US postage FREE, due to international agreements.

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

I'm sure MMC is facing labor shortages, like everyone. How much can you pay someone to be thoughtful about shipping rates and packing, adjust orders, etc? Where do you find those people.

Obviously shipping costs from carriers are way up. Big shippers have contracts to reduce costs. Maybe MMC's contracts recently expired.

Maybe MMC has started or switched to a third party for fulfillment of some orders.

MSC loves to buy out competitors and make them disappear. I am certain they'd love to kill MMC.

Comment

Originally posted by j tiers View Post
                  - they pay almost nothing for postage. The chinese government charges them very little if anything for shipping (it's export, and paid for with chinese internal money), and they get us postage free, due to international agreements.
                  bingo !
                  Green Bay, WI

Comment

I do about $10k in business with McM a year and I don't order from them near as often as my engineers. In fact, I'm about to place an order right now that totals almost $1k including a bunch of lengths of aluminum 6-8 foot long. Their estimated shipping is about $100 ... so 10% of the purchase price to get it here next day? Seems like a bargain to me.

Has anyone double checked to see if the shipping matches the estimated shipping? I know many people have complained to McM about not showing their shipping charges when checking out so they rolled out this estimator to make those folks happy. I don't know that they've changed anything with regard to how they actually bill shipping charges... And the estimator is usually very reasonable. As others have said, it only really ticks up there when you have straight lengths of things.

Comment

We use McMaster Carr a lot where I work and often get same day delivery, but we're only 22 miles from their L.A. area warehouse. I recently ordered some supplies for delivery to my home, and was dismayed when the shipping price for a 3' length of Stress Proof was twice the cost of the material. A 2nd 3' length was delayed, and when I emailed to get status, I was told it would be another 3 weeks, but they had 1' lengths in stock. I complained about the delay, the increased price of the 3 x 1' pieces vs. 3', and the shipping cost for the 1st order. They responded by giving me the 3 1' pieces for 3' length price, refunded the shipping, and delivered the next day! Their automated systems may have some glitches, but I really can't complain about their customer service when I have an issue.
                      Davis

"Nothing is impossible for the man who doesn't have to do it himself"

Comment

If you get overcharged for shipping by McMaster Carr it likely isn't McMaster Carr but the shipper doing the gouging. Because they are nothing if not extremely fair!

I suddenly realized recently why McMasters search engine seems so much better than everyone else. Search '1/2" pipe nipple' and it takes you right to the section of pipe nipples and ultimately a long list of sizes. On Home Depot you get one pipe nipple showing but you are not in a section with all the pipe nipples available. Then they try to interest you in a whole bunch of stuff that just wastes your time.

Comment

The long lengths charge from them has always been high, I always try to 'save up' a list of items for a 6' tube order if I can. I don't think they used to charge full price for an item that had to ship from another location, but I never kept super close track. I get my orders same day if I get it in before 11am.

Comment

Working...
                          X