X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ringo View Post
    What shop air pressure do you need?
    Plasma cutter, what pressure.?
    Blast cabinet, a solid dependable 100psi should do fine.
    7.5hp will give you the volume you need for 1 man, but at what pressure?
    An aftercooler between the pump & tank is a good thing if you can swing it into the price.
    Single stage will yield higher volume at lower pressure.
    Two stage comes into play if your actual needed pressure is above about 120
    The one model that I've kind of decided on is the 7.5hp with aftercooler. Its a 2 stage 175psi. Going to have a tee off the tank with the plumbed in lines @ 100psi and the other side to drop down to 120-130 for my big impacts or carbon arc gouger if needed. Dont use them often and have a 100' crowfoot connection hose to roll out when the time comes.

Comment

Originally posted by tom_d View Post
      No experience with the Atlas Copco, but I do use a Quincy on a regular basis. It's the 80gal. vert. tank QT-5 model, 5hp 230v 1ph, 2-stage splash lube that is rated for 17.2cfm @ 100psi and 16.3cfm @ 175psi. For a one man band operation I couldn't ask for anything more. Hooked up with a tight quarter turn valve on the output the tank stays full when not in use which saves startups when only needing a quick blast of air. Pressure regulator drops the shop line down to about 120psi max. More than enough for what's going on, and that includes feeding air through a dedicated regulator to the waste oil burner in the winter. Nothing fancy on the water drain. Just another little quarter turn valve and a drain pipe to take the water away from the working area. Open it once a day in humid seasons, once a week in the drier winter months. Simple works best here. Again, not sure how it stacks up against the Atlas, but other than some teething pain getting the right sized magnetic starter I've zero complaints about the quality and reliable operation over the past approx. 10 years.
      Amazing how many places I've worked at that leave the air on 24/7 and never drain the tank water not realizing how much money they are throwing away with all the leaks.
      I'm for sure going to put a good valve off the tank to isolate it from the system side (although I shouldnt have any leaks) and the ones I'm looking at have a 1/4 ball valve drain on the bottom instead of that stupid wing nut drain that always gets clogged. Going to run some 1/4 copper or poly tube along the wall to the door where it can blow off outside.

Had a nice Hankison water & oil filter setup given to me. Made up the connections for it to be wall mounted and a flex hose from the tank to filters. System side is most likely going to be Upnor 3/4" PEX-A since I have the expander tool from installing 1/2" in my dads shop.
      Attached Files

Comment

7.5hp with aftercooler would be nice. What model is that?
        And you don't have to have the pressure set all the way up to 175, you could set at 140/150 and supply all you need with less run time.
        Since you are regulating down to 130 you can fill the tank only to 140 and you are good.
        re-filling tank all the way back up to 175 doesn't have any real advantage in actual shop usage.

Comment

Sandblasting requires a significant amount of air. Go for the highest CFM that can be maintained at close to or above 125psi. you can afford.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris165 View Post

Amazing how many places I've worked at that leave the air on 24/7 and never drain the tank water not realizing how much money they are throwing away with all the leaks.
            Last place I worked at (where i installed the huge Atlas Copco air) they used robo-drains (automatic drains). Not that they needed much, the refrigerated aftercoolers did most of the work before it even made it into the tank. OTOH this machine cycles every 1/2 hr for the last 5 years because it is supplying an entire industrial plant, so they are indeed using it. 200 gallon tank, 2-inch air lines.
            25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Ringo View Post
              7.5hp with aftercooler would be nice. What model is that?
              And you don't have to have the pressure set all the way up to 175, you could set at 140/150 and supply all you need with less run time.
              Since you are regulating down to 130 you can fill the tank only to 140 and you are good.
              re-filling tank all the way back up to 175 doesn't have any real advantage in actual shop usage.
              I'm looking at the F.S. Curtis 7.5HP 80Gal UltraPack with aftercooler, low level oil cutout & automatic tank drain from a local dealer.
              FS-Curtis FCA07E57V8U-A3L1XX CA7.5 7.5-HP 80-Gallon UltraPack Two-Stage Air Compressor 230V 3-Phase (aircompressorsdirect.com)

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
                Sandblasting requires a significant amount of air. Go for the highest CFM that can be maintained at close to or above 125psi. you can afford.
                For sure, that little blast cabinet I have would make a 5hp/60gal unit run for a while. Wanted to have some extra capacity if needed vs buying what would fit my current needs.

Comment

For me it's paranoia about having a chaffed rubber air hose burst in the night while everything is unattended. with my luck it would only happen on the night I forgot to shut off the compressor power. When there's multiple things to do at end of day I'm more likely to remember to do most, if not all of them.

I'm looking at the F.S. Curtis 7.5HP 80Gal UltraPack with aftercooler, low level oil cutout & automatic tank drain from a local dealer.
                  FS-Curtis FCA07E57V8U-A3L1XX CA7.5 7.5-HP 80-Gallon UltraPack Two-Stage Air Compressor 230V 3-Phase (aircompressorsdirect.com)
                  Wow. That's a nice looking setup. I believe I read earlier where you're set up with three phase? If you're serious about buying a new compressor this looks like the serious compressor to buy.

Comment

How big a hurry to buy are you? Reason I ask is, Zoro starts sending out the 15 and 20% off sitewide promo codes around mid-November. And yes I do believe in pressure lube systems on compressors because I run 2YC and a 4YC WABCO compressors at work both from the 1950's that have never required anything beyond oil and filter changes.
                    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
                    X