Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stu
    replied
    Where I live (SE PA) auctions are a great resource for tooling. One of my better hauls was a 4 box lot for $11. About 150# of lathe mandrels, about 200 small sized acorn dies, a dozen Procunier collets, a dozen various MT2 centers. after keeping what I needed I parted out the rest for over $500

Leave a comment:

• nickel-city-fab
    replied
    That's pretty much how I do things, I got most of my stuff that way. There was no other way to afford anything.

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
    I would say that chap who paid the $330 should join this forum.

But I have a similar story. Some years ago I wanted to get a collection of the Greenlee (or other brands) chassis punches. I looked on E-bay and found a lot were listed in groups of a half dozen or more different sizes. Probably estate sales by people who just wanted to get something for "dad's tools". So I bid on them.

Eventually I wound up with about 35 or 40 chassis punches, mostly round ones, but also some square, some rectangular, and some odd shapes like the double D size used for duplex electric sockets. But I also got a lot of duplicates. So I kept the best ones and I sharpened and/or replaced missing bolts on the rest and auctioned them off one-by-one. I almost broke even. I have a collection of chassis punches that would have cost the better part of $1000, if not more but only wound up under $100 out of pocket.

E-bay can be fun if you play your cards right.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Alciatore
    replied
    I would say that chap who paid the $330 should join this forum.

But I have a similar story. Some years ago I wanted to get a collection of the Greenlee (or other brands) chassis punches. I looked on E-bay and found a lot were listed in groups of a half dozen or more different sizes. Probably estate sales by people who just wanted to get something for "dad's tools". So I bid on them.

Eventually I wound up with about 35 or 40 chassis punches, mostly round ones, but also some square, some rectangular, and some odd shapes like the double D size used for duplex electric sockets. But I also got a lot of duplicates. So I kept the best ones and I sharpened and/or replaced missing bolts on the rest and auctioned them off one-by-one. I almost broke even. I have a collection of chassis punches that would have cost the better part of $1000, if not more but only wound up under $100 out of pocket.

E-bay can be fun if you play your cards right.

Originally posted by Stu View Post
    This is a follow up to my post asking for VFD advice. https://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/fo...or-drill-press. While I received and am thankful for the info, I continued to look for replacement Reeves drive pulleys for the DP350. Clones of the Delta DP350 are still available from Grizzly, Shop Fox, Wen and Rikon. I was able to purchased replacement pulleys from WEN for a princely sum of $28 for both sets. I needed to do a little work to make up for the differences in spindle and motor shaft diameters but was able to make them work and all is well in drill press land.

The kicker is I had one set of the original motor pulleys in good condition, so for ****z and giggles I put them up on Ebay for $50. They sold last night for $330. The Wen clone 12” DP sells for $277.
    Go figure. Stu

Leave a comment:

• CountZero
    replied
    Plunger, you could use a mail forwarding service like www.shipito.com(just a google hit, no experience. The one I have used only ships to Sweden).

​​​​​​
    ​​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• epicfail48
    replied
    Originally posted by plunger View Post
    Not having ebay here in S Africa, How does it work. ? Do you put a minimum price and then buyers bid on it ? While glancing through ebay I thought its just the price you see.? Most times it says "does not transport to S Africa. Pity because it would open up many opportunities .
    You can choose to list an item with a buy it now price, which is a set price, or you can list an item as an auction and people can put in whatever bids they want. Either or, its up to the seller

Leave a comment:

• plunger
    replied
    Not having ebay here in S Africa, How does it work. ? Do you put a minimum price and then buyers bid on it ? While glancing through ebay I thought its just the price you see.? Most times it says "does not transport to S Africa. Pity because it would open up many opportunities .

Leave a comment:

• SVS
    replied
    My Dad’s line, “the sun shines on every dog’s ass once in a while” seems equally applicable.

😁

Leave a comment:

• rklopp
    replied
    As my Dad used to say, “A fool and his gold are soon parted.”

Leave a comment:

• Stu
    started a topic VFD for drill press follow up

VFD for drill press follow up

This is a follow up to my post asking for VFD advice. https://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/fo...or-drill-press. While I received and am thankful for the info, I continued to look for replacement Reeves drive pulleys for the DP350. Clones of the Delta DP350 are still available from Grizzly, Shop Fox, Wen and Rikon. I was able to purchased replacement pulleys from WEN for a princely sum of $28 for both sets. I needed to do a little work to make up for the differences in spindle and motor shaft diameters but was able to make them work and all is well in drill press land.

The kicker is I had one set of the original motor pulleys in good condition, so for ****z and giggles I put them up on Ebay for $50. They sold last night for $330. The Wen clone 12” DP sells for $277.
    Go figure. Stu
Working...
X