No announcement yet.

Tool grinder? Im not sure. SRD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have the same drill grinder. It appears the bit holding gizmo is missing, without that it's useless for its dedicated purpose. I'll take a look, at one time I had an extra bit holder (the bit holders tend to get separated in auctions, etc).

They're pretty fool proof. Very easy to use, about the easiest drill grinder I've ever seen. That model only does plain bits, no split points, I always wondered if a special holder could be made to split points. The company did make a more expensive version to grind split points. Any point angle is possible although I keep mine at 118 degrees. Sometimes in a pinch I lightly touch up a 135 degree split point, but only very lightly.

The bit stays cool even at 5,000 rpm or whatever it turns at since the contact diameter is so small. The wheel seems to be self dressing. If a drill is broken off I rough the point on a bench grinder to save the special wheel for final sharpening.

My local tool grinding business uses that grinder for regular bit sharpening.

Comment

Apparently the company is still in business.... The bit holder sells for $245!!!! That seems like a lot, but it might be worth it since you already have the basic unit.

Comment

I have a similar unit, mine's a JDR. Does a beautiful job. The bit holder on mine is actually pretty simple, I think a machinist could make one, it's aluminum.

Comment

Originally posted by DR View Post
          I have the same drill grinder. It appears the bit holding gizmo is missing, without that it's useless for its dedicated purpose. I'll take a look, at one time I had an extra bit holder (the bit holders tend to get separated in auctions, etc).

They're pretty fool proof. Very easy to use, about the easiest drill grinder I've ever seen. That model only does plain bits, no split points, I always wondered if a special holder could be made to split points. The company did make a more expensive version to grind split points. Any point angle is possible although I keep mine at 118 degrees. Sometimes in a pinch I lightly touch up a 135 degree split point, but only very lightly.

The bit stays cool even at 5,000 rpm or whatever it turns at since the contact diameter is so small. The wheel seems to be self dressing. If a drill is broken off I rough the point on a bench grinder to save the special wheel for final sharpening.

This right here folks is the info that helps. Thank you sir, JR

I have other sharpeners, I just dont know this one,, It seems a fingre is in need, my other ones use a fingure. Floows the groove basicalty. . Thanks man,,,,, JR

Comment

Originally posted by plunger View Post
            Some people can send pics while multi tasking like cooking and having a chat on their phone at the same time. Im just messing with you. It sometimes takes me longer to load pics on the forum than it does to do the actual machining.
            Oh come on now,Posting pictures used to be a 20 step process. Now it ONLY TAKES 12 STEPS,I think. .Edwin Dirnbeck

Comment

Originally posted by Edwin Dirnbeck View Post

Oh come on now,Posting pictures used to be a 20 step process. Now it ONLY TAKES 12 STEPS,I think. .Edwin Dirnbeck
              Let's see:

Click image for larger version

Name:	charlotte2-X5.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	3.40 MB
ID:	1961287

That took exactly six mouse clicks.

-js

There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by DR View Post

Intesting,

I wouold love that you know. That is the part that got me confused. hahaa.

No, I havent used the grinder yet because I dont have the clamp :{ JR

Oh, I have many wheels that are of this size for tool post grinders if you need.

Ill shoot a pic, nice wheels. Hey, actually whatever you need is yours. Trade only.. JR

Comment

You guys gave me a lot of good info..

I started to get into it..

It seem s to have a flute guide.

Those are nice.

I wish I could hand grand a drill point or lathe bit folks. I just dont have the eyes or skill. So... machines.. FYI. I have seen many come and go. Ill take a balake diamond :} JR

Or the Optimous Prime with the eye scope? lol

Comment

Working...
                  X