Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A tricky bushing...how to do it?

Hey guys!
    I just bought this bushing for the spindle in my Totota.
    $67...I can make it for peanuts...but I don't know how to turn the grease grooves inside. I'm betting I can turn the ones on the face no problem with a 4 jaw but the inside ones have me stumped.
    Any ideas....

Thanks!
    Russ
    **Note** I used a piece of wire to copy the groove twist inside this bushing and it's about 1 turn in 4"...or so (hillbilly measurin) My lathe doesn't even come close to this for threading (4tpi)
    Last edited by torker; 05-05-2006, 03:44 PM.
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

I believe they were cast into the rough casting before it was machined.

Comment

Jay...good idea but I just looked (after your post) with a magnifying glass.
      There are definite cutting marks on all the grooves.
      A CNC lathe would cut these no problem. I no have dat!
      Russ
      I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

I am sure they did it B4 CNC tools.

Comment

the grooves inside could be done with a dremel or die grinderwith a carbide bit and a steady hand i should imagine.
          just did a similar job on some bronze bushings

Comment

grooves

a shaper with a spin index/dividing head and some gearing/coordination between the turn and cutting stroke maybe?

scott
            "Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment" R.M.Brown

My shop tour www.plastikosmd.com

Comment

We've made bushings at work like that except they had an inside diameter of probably 5 to 6 inches. We do it one of two ways depending on how fast the customer needs them. The quick and dirty way is a die grinder with a carbide ball grinding bit. We usually lay it out with a magic marker and just gage the depth by eye. You'd be surprised how good you can make them look with a little practice. The other method is using a Cincinatti universal mill with the proper gear train setup on the dividing head. The mill drives the dividing head when the x axis feed is engaged and it rotates the part as it goes through. When you get one flute finished you rotate the dividing head 180 degrees and start the next flute. You have to tilt the vertical head over so the tool clears the front of the part. We use a end mill extension with an ER collet to hold the ball endmill. It makes a good looking job but it's time consuming to set up.
              Jonathan P.

Comment

Russ,

Just a thought...

Can you 'rearrange' any of the lathe's gears on the gear train that will get you close? For example, switch two gears around so it speeds up the RPM's to the quick change box. I know you won't have much of a choice but who knows...
                Last edited by Mike Burdick; 05-05-2006, 04:28 PM.

Comment

I have made grease groves like that by turning it slow, and just hand feeding in and out. It is not that tough to do, it takes less than 10 seconds.

Practice it , I had to do a few dozen and they came out great. its just for grease. If you want to keep the grease from comming out one of the ends dont cut it all the way, set a stop or just put a marker mark on the borring bar.

peice of cake, you can do it.

Comment

What Mike said....

My South Bend has a 20-tooth stud gear and a 56-tooth screw gear, normally. Swap those and I can get *REALLY* coarse threads....

If you try that stunt though, you'll almost certainly want to turn the spindle by hand. Make a crank handle to fit the outboard end of the spindle.
                    ----------
                    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
                    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
                    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
                    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
                    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
                    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Atlas Lathe had/has gear ratios for turning 1 thread or 1/2 thread per inch. Index screw machines had threading cams that would allow up to 1/8 thread per inch going forward and back(think of guide traverse on a bait casting reel.)All for just such a purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by torker
                        **Note** I used a piece of wire to copy the groove twist inside this bushing and it's about 1 turn in 4"...or so (hillbilly measurin) My lathe doesn't even come close to this for threading (4tpi)
                        I don't know what the application is, but would it matter if it had twice as many grease grooves (8TPI instead of 4TPI)?

If it doesn't matter then I would set the lathe up for 8TPI, clamp a dremel or hand drill with a carbide burr on the saddle, set depth of cut, engage the leadscrew and with the motor off hand crank the spindle and cut to half the depth of the bore, turn the part round and then do the other end.

You end up with twice as many grooves, which may or may not be good depending on the application of the part. Just a theory but I think it would work fine.

Peter

Comment

I thought he said 1 turn in 4"--That's NOT 4tpi, that 1/4tpi. I'd darn sure turn the chuck by hand. For me, 8tpi at dead slow is a bag of worms. I can't imagine running 4" in one turn of the chuck!

There's special broaching rams that do that. They probably make a bushing in a couple of seconds.

Comment

You can probably *buy* it for peanuts too. I don't know what the bore is, but McMaster has them groved up to 1" and without groves much larger than that.

The grove is not critical in dimension...just a grease groove. How about a dremel tool or die grinder? You could add your own grease grooves to a $5-10 bushing made of your choice of bronze types.

paul
                            Paul Carpenter
                            Mapleton, IL

Comment

Before cnc there were special oil grooving lathes for doing this.Some toolroom lathes had attachments that did it as well.
                              Mark.

Comment

Working...
                              X