No announcement yet.

Phase O Matic Parts for 1200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What exactly is wrong with your RPC? Blown capacitor maybe?

My 12 year old factory made unit blew a capacitor while running my mill. There was a sound like a piece of metal falling off a shelf. Looked around to see what it was, nothing. Then as I was looking at the RPC the thing burst into flame with fire coming out all the seams in the enclosure. Shut off the power. Flames went out. Apparently the metal hitting the floor noise was the capacitor can bursting. The flame must have been the oil from the capacitor burning. Took it back to the local manufacturer, 50 bucks to install new capacitor. Good to go even though all the components in the enclosure appeared scorched.

Comment

Originally posted by DR View Post

My 12 year old factory made unit blew a capacitor while running my mill. There was a sound like a piece of metal falling off a shelf. Looked around to see what it was, nothing. Then as I was looking at the RPC the thing burst into flame with fire coming out all the seams in the enclosure. Shut off the power. Flames went out. Apparently the metal hitting the floor noise was the capacitor can bursting. The flame must have been the oil from the capacitor burning. Took it back to the local manufacturer, 50 bucks to install new capacitor. Good to go even though all the components in the enclosure appeared scorched.
      One of dad's blew shortly after building his. I was running the Lagun at the time, working on some customer parts with the customer there. Lathe motor started to buzz loudly and I shut the RPC off. Smelled rank. Ended my day (it was in the evening.)
      21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
      1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Hey Doc, sorry to butt in. Thats usually what pops in these older units.

But he said the resistors looked cooked. How would a cooked resistor that didnt go open effect the rest of the curcuit? You would know, haha.. I hypothysis. You guys are educated. Thats why I ask. Great ideas and great minds. JR

I Think a Res fail not entirly at once, as you would expect. This was a slow burn. Over heated, I dont think its the failure point. JR

Comment

JR.... one of the resistors is part of the start circuit, controlling the voltage relay. IIRC, the thing will not work right if it goes out. So could be, if so. Others are just for discharging capacitors, so you are correct, those won't affect actual operation.

There isn't much in them, so should not be an issue to fix.

Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
            JR...Others are just for discharging capacitors, so you are correct,
            Watch out folks, go in doors. Crasy stuff is happening.

Mr Jerry just said some one is correct. Thats unknown . UFOs got Jerry, damm!!

JR

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
              JR.... one of the resistors is part of the start circuit, controlling the voltage relay. IIRC, the thing will not work right if it goes out. So could be, if so. Others are just for discharging capacitors, so you are correct, those won't affect actual operation.

There isn't much in them, so should not be an issue to fix.
              I was just joking.

I didnt know they were on seperate cucuits. I thought they were on the same curcit. Thats why I always defer to the professionals. Jerry will alway steer you right, IMO.. JR

Comment

Not sure what let go. The Relay was stuck closed and I have a new relay I am going to R2. I think the capacitors are good but I haven't checked them. I didn't have a pop but did have some wires melting. I order some CAPs but the frame size is smaller then what is in the enclosure but the size is the same.

I have not had the time to get out to the shop to work on it.

I will follow up when testing.

Comment

Originally posted by epicfail48 View Post
                  By control system, im assuming you mean the controls on whatever machine the VFD is powering, yes? Why would any of those need to be changed? If the VFD is pumping 3 phase into the machine, do the existing control systems really care how that 3 phase was generated, so long as its the correct voltage and frequency?
                  I am not sure of your question, but I will get there..

Do "Controls" work off of 3ph electricity?

Partly, one branch, not all at the same time as the mill or lathe might. And as far as I have used homeshop generated type 3ph machines none of mine care what leg the control comes from. I always place the control on a solid leg though FYI..JR

Controls that I have seen use any type of 115-120VAC (220-240_ with transformer). So it will be whittled down to 5VDC that controls use. JR

Comment

Working...
                  X