No announcement yet.

Cutting oil grooves in a bush.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder if a linear actuator attached to the top slide and anchored to the bedslides would not be a simple way to do this.

Comment

Originally posted by plunger View Post
      I wonder if a linear actuator attached to the top slide and anchored to the bedslides would not be a simple way to do this.
      First off, cool, forgot you are on my west. Everyone to the east is asleep.

I dont know why some folks here like to over complicate a things.

I do like your over complication of the cutter drive. Not bad if you can make it go slow enought. It has to go slow if you are using a static cutter..

I have played around with the cnc lathe to do some sort of powered head (cutter) in the turn table. Failure lol Compleate. The wires for the small motor got hung up in the tail stock, wrapped. lol. Hey, we. try..

JR

Comment

It’s a terrible thing an oily bush, very slippery, i jest, ball end burr and dremel rotary tool is a cheap and cheerful oil path maker, I’ve seen a really beautiful job done on the lathe by a Russian guy, there’s a video, think it was “ factory dragon” myself
        mark

Comment

Originally posted by boslab View Post
          It’s a terrible thing an oily bush, very slippery, i jest, ball end burr and dremel rotary tool is a cheap and cheerful oil path maker, I’ve seen a really beautiful job done on the lathe by a Russian guy, there’s a video, think it was “ factory dragon” myself
          mark
          Thats no kidding though. I had to use a deep reach grinder to get in deep enough for a 1/8" very ugly groove, spirale down (Inside) a piece of bearing material. Its ugly but worked.

For me the key was get enough depth in the passage. I had plenty of material so just took it fast and slow. High RPM, slow manual feed.

Those are the projects you dont take pictures of and they last 100 years, just saying. JR

Comment

Working...
          X