5G Internet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5G Internet

Not to sidetrack the other 5G thread, I am looking at other internet options. Currently on DSL with a blazing 5.6G download, 0.6 upload and enough jitter that voice conference calls drop off and that little spinning wheels has become a good friend, Fiber ends about a mile down the road so hopefully that will happen soon but maybe not. So are any of you using a 5G hot spot for internet and what kind of speeds are you getting?

Thanks.

Edit: Oops. That's 5.6 MEG download.
    Last edited by SteveF; 09-16-2021, 08:29 PM.

5G up in Ellsworth, Maine seems blazing fast, yet it seems slow as molasses in Los Angelas. For the house I would be looking at Elon Musks Star Link if you can’t get fiber or coax.

Comment

On T-mobile and Verizon 5g with pro Cradle Point 1850 modem in Seattle... lying on desk with no outside antenna... 600 mbit down 300-400 mbit up, 10-13msec latency. Two strong towers real close. We use them all over the USA as backup to our primary links. Some are only 20m up, 80m down, site dependent. But don't get fooled... the bandwidth CAN look great BUT if everyone starts using it the system performance will plummet.

Comment

Looked at Star Link. Normal satellite is just a linear shot into the sky so you can move the dish around if you live in the woods until you have a clear shot. Star Link receives from one sat until it passes by then switches to another so you need a clear shot in any direction. For that to work from me I would have to put the receiver dish on top of about a 60' tower. Although if that is my only choice I'll consider it since I may have to do that with a 5G repeater to get enough signal.

Lakeside - Yeah, I know about shared usage. When DSL was first run out here about 10 years ago life was good. Then new houses started getting built, and everyone had to start watching TV and movies over the Internet, and web designers started adding more and more ad crap and performance got worse and worse. From some brief research it seems like satellite internet is really bad in that regard.
        Last edited by SteveF; 09-16-2021, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveF View Post
          Not to sidetrack the other 5G thread, I am looking at other internet options. Currently on DSL with a blazing 5.6G download, 0.6 upload and enough jitter that voice conference calls drop off and that little spinning wheels has become a good friend, Fiber ends about a mile down the road so hopefully that will happen soon but maybe not. So are any of you using a 5G hot spot for internet and what kind of speeds are you getting?

Thanks.

Edit: Oops. That's 5.6 MEG download.
          I dont understand?

It sounds like you are in the sticks with DSL and yet you have acess to 5G?? Makes no scence. I have DSL into my house, work line. Then I have two seperate fiber optic lines. I dont have a 5G tower within 50 miles.
          JR

And yes, my phone is a 5G capable phone. No thanks... JR
          Last edited by JRouche; 09-19-2021, 01:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post

I dont understand?

It sounds like you are in the sticks with DSL and yet you have acess to 5G?? Makes no scence................
            Not sure why that doesn't make sense. I have DSL, my neighbor a mile away has fiber and has a 5G phone that gets a signal. It's not a strong signal but it works.

Steve

Comment

Same around here. DSL is here and by todays' standards... sucks... 5G and 4G lte is the "overbuild". Close to zero chance of getting fiber in the next 10 years.

Comment

Well I've been on fiber (AT&T) for the past three or so years, and I don't think it was much of an improvement over DSL at all.
                It seemed to be a small bit faster the first few months, but I've since wondered if that was just my imagination or wishful thinking; because I now think it may even be slower than the DSL before it. But of course I have no way to compare.
                Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

About two miles away is an animal rescue that we have been involved with for years and they are on fiber. 96 Meg down and 20 up. If my wife or i have to move large files like updating a GPS we go there to do it. What takes 3 hours at my house takes 15 minutes there.

Comment

My fiber is Frontier, 75$ a month for an honest 100mbps up and down, equates to about 12 MBps. I can pay a little more and get 500/500.

Comment

For those with fiber, just how far into the house does the fiber get? Assume it changes to a standard cable at some point – in the modem, outside, at the curb?

I have standard cable but when a new line was installed from the distribution box that happens to sit on my property, the guy told me the box covered a few square miles and was fiber in, cable out to the houses. He installed about 60 feet of some heavy cable from the box to the house and said I'd have the fastest connection around. I do get about 120mbps download and about 20-30 up.

So, was just wondering how much that 60 foot cable slows things down. Assuming that the fiber has to convert to running on copper eventually, how much difference does a few feet make.
                      George
                      Traverse City, MI

Comment

The cable doesn't slow it, the speed depends on what you have paid for, what they offer, and what modem they provided. So on that coax DOCSIS 3.0 if they provide it could give you 500Mbps easily which I had for a while about 3 years ago. Then with DOCSIS 3.1 now getting common in the UK it can do 2.5Gbps with the newer modem. Lots of the UK now has 1Gbps available on coax if you want to pay for it. Fibre is taken to the house too but then converts to coax there so the standard modem can be used (and standard set top box for TV). Trouble is coax really only goes 500yds so this is all only in conurbations.
                        You really only need 10Meg tops per person for HD TV streaming but the higher speeds are sold because people think the buffering issues they see are because they need more speed rather than network impairments.

Comment

Originally posted by lynnl View Post
                          Well I've been on fiber (AT&T) for the past three or so years, and I don't think it was much of an improvement over DSL at all.
                          It seemed to be a small bit faster the first few months, but I've since wondered if that was just my imagination or wishful thinking; because I now think it may even be slower than the DSL before it. But of course I have no way to compare.
                          Some providers slow you down on purpose if you have been using a lot of bandwidth.

Others install blazing fast connections to the neighborhood box, but then overload the box so each "slice" is still slow.

Some user equipment cannot handle what is right there at the modem. Things vary.

Keep eye on ball.
                          Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

Working...
                          X