Bike build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike build.

I bought a bike a while back with the intention of making it into a cafe racer. The bike was a total wreck, not going, aluminium was badly oxidised, steel was totally rusted out, a few parts were missing so I set about making some bits and pieces for it: Handlebar risers, cable junction box, remote oil filter and oil cooler brackets. Single points cam, PMA mounting plate. Lots and lots of machining. I have chronic psoriatic arthritis which is gradually destroying my joints, so my hands and fingers don't work that well anymore. I have had some finger joints replaced, some fused, same with toes, hip replacements and so on. To continue working in my shed I've had to modify my machinery, mainly just extending handles, etc. I'll never be able to ride the bike, but it keeps me off the streets at night. I do everything myself: Paint, upholstery, electrical, turning, fabrication, welding, spanner work, metal polishing, anodising and so on. Some pics of the bike as bought and a recent picture.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 5 photos.

You my friend have some great skills! Even with out any of your issues I can not even come
    close to doing that kind of work. Great job!
    olf20 / Bob

Comment

These are some risers I made a while back. I couldn't find any I liked so decided to make my own. I started with a lump of ally plate, cut out a couple of rectangular pieces and mounted them in the lathe four jaw. Once spun to the approximate shaper I bored a hole for the bars, bored and tapped some holes for the top clamps, bored and tapped another hole in the bottom for mounting then used a slit saw to separate the top caps from the main body. Once finished I mirror polished them. Quite an involved process making these, working out which machining to do first. I think they came out pretty well.
      Attached Files

Comment

Beautiful work!
        Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Comment

Very impressive work !

Comment

Had to be a pants crapper for someone when that chain broke !

-Doozer
            DZER

Comment

Looking good so far. I finally got a Yamaha rd350 to TZ rep on the road last year that I had been working on.

I was really into bikes when I was younger but have lost a lot of the thrill of riding. I’m kind of like you, the project is fun on its own even if you don’t ride it. I keep thinking about doing another bike.

Comment

Congrats on working on such a cool project. I have the same bike, but am stalled out working on it right now. A tracker.
                Bikes are my favorite thing to work on have been for decades. To me they are somewhat art as well, so even if it did not run , it can be very enjoyable to look at , i would love to have an accurate boardtracker or flattracker in the house on display. I have an early HD twin to do this with over 100 years old.
                a tip for you guys when building stuff like the risers or any split hole part. I often make it of 2 pce, doing the allen clamp bolts part first with a thin shim between 2 pcs. It elimnates all slitting and cleanup.. but best of all beautiful chip control when drilling boring the hole. Bigger holes can be roughed with zn endmill.

Comment

Wow, it's absolutely gorgeous, what a transformation!
                  Those 650 Yammys always lend themselves so well to the cafe racer or street tracker look. You've done it proud!

754, great tip on the risers, makes perfect sense, thanks!
                  Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                  Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

I looked at the "before" pictures in the first post and was thinking that you have a LONG road ahead of you. Then in the last of the set of 5 pictures I saw that you've been on that road for a while now in the second post. It's certainly been a worthwhile journey. It's looking VERY SHARP!

I'm old school when it comes to cafe racers. Like clip ons and half fairings. To my eyes there's a good amount of a street tracker look to your bike other than the flat bars. But either way it's shaping up to be a looker that'll be huge fun to ride. Top marks for persistence and skills!
                    Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
                      I would love to have an accurate boardtracker or flattracker in the house on display.
                      A static display inside the house of a board track racer would be awesome.

Comment

Working...
                      X