UK goes back to Imperial measure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK goes back to Imperial measure?

I found out via slashdot that the UK is going back to Imperial measure post-Brexit. Or at least, allowing it for ordinary trade and commerce. Naturally the slashdot article generated its own share of commentary and controversy (they are all engineering geeks and IT nerds): https://news.slashdot.org/story/21/0...s-and-measures

The parent article that they are reporting from is from the Independent: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b1921732.html

My own commentary to the slashdot article follows (quoted)

"It's gonna be funny watching the Germans froth at the mouth over this.
    What is frustrating is those who say the Imperial system is not coherent internally. To me this says that they need to go back and study history again. Particularly the ancient Babylonians and Egyptians. The system was entirely coherent and congruent under them. When the Romans adopted it, they butchered it and made a mess of it. And the English hung on to what they could through the dark ages, although it was badly mis-interpreted by that time.
    FWIW, I'm American living within walking distance of the Canadian border. Everybody here uses both (mixed) systems. I deal with the hands-on aspect of mechanical engineering, so I prefer decimal Imperial units mostly. But I can switch as needed."

25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

As an ex UK citizen, it would be a mistake IMO, for the UK to go back to Imperial.
    Canada has managed to go over mostly to the metric system now, fortunately.
    Of course, while in transition we (Canada) had three systems, Imperial, US & Metric.
    When I came here, I would buy a (US) gallon of cooking oil the grocery store, and gas up my car with Imperial gallons.!
    The bars & pubs here are still confused about serving a real 20oz pint! .

Comment

Hurray, the crown is now reappearing on “pint” beer glasses too, we’ve been a bit “ bi” over here since metric started, timber, etc in feet and inches, though metric is universally accepted imperial still has a place, 5lb of potatoes or 10 miles or a 2x4 are common spoken things, we should be able to use them if we want not jailed by the European Union for upsetting the bloody measurement nazis ( or at least heavily fined)
      mark

Comment

Originally posted by MaxHeadRoom View Post
        As an ex UK citizen, it would be a mistake IMO, for the UK to go back to Imperial.
        Of course, while in transition we (Canada) had three systems, Imperial, US & Metric.
        When I came here, I would buy a (US) gallon of cooking oil the grocery store, and gas up my car with Imperial gallons.!
        The bars & pubs here are still confused about serving a real 20oz pint! .
        Well, I would say it was two systems instead of three, since the ABC conference in the 1950's established the Unified thread system.

Other measures were a bit different -- For most of my life, (for example) Gas in the US were sold on the basis of US gallons with the Imperial measure listed in second place. But for all practical purposes there was no point in distinguishing between the two.

What really chafes me is the fact that the inch (a Roman invention) is now defined in terms of milimeters even though the original Royal foot of ancient Egypt was exactly 30 cm!

Comment

The US system is for the most part the Imperial system except for a couple of items like the US pint. As far as Canada having "mostly" gone metric, well maybe 50/50. Generally we us both as needed. Try finding metric nuts and bolts of any size or taps and dies without going to a specialty store, if they will sell to you.

As far as Britain going back to the Imperial system, good for them. Why they caved into the metric madness in the first place was only UE pressure. Maybe the old Britain is growing a new spine and standing up for itself again. I wish our lame ass prime minister would do the same in Canada.
          The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

It is unlikely UK manufacturers go back to Imperial. They've already spent decades making things with the metric system.

This is more a political posturing for Brexit voters. They want to buy butter and apples by the pound again.

Got news for them - industry in the UK has been making and packaging butter in metric units for decades now. The butter is still going to be sold by the gram and apples by the kilo. Ain't no manufacturer going to spend the money to swap all those machines back to Imperial. Not when almost all their trade partners use the metric system......
            If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

If the old TV show Top Gear was any indicator, the UK was always still partly imperial.

The vehicles were always referred to in horsepower, distances in miles, speeds in miles-per-hour (though they did occasionally also use KmPH) wheel diameters in inches, and, often as not, displacement in cubic inches. The presenters always spoke of their heights in feet and inches, capacities (like those of fuel tanks, etc.) were often as not in gallons, and do on.

Although I will admit that, the very first time I saw an episode of TG, I was momentarily confused when one of them spoke of a 265,000-pound car.

Doc.
              Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut View Post

As far as Britain going back to the Imperial system, good for them. Why they caved into the metric madness in the first place was only UE pressure. Maybe the old Britain is growing a new spine and standing up for itself again. I wish our lame ass prime minister would do the same in Canada.
                I grew up of course with the Imperial system, I like the Metric system much better, as to hardware and tooling availability I have had no problem obtaining such, from Canadian tire, Princess Auto or HD even.
                Most cities now have a machining supply vendor who also supply Metric.

Comment

The UK is not going back to anything. All they are talking about is allowing traditional traders the option to display products in imperial measures if they wish. Almost certainly it will only be allowed alongside a requirement to also display metric measures.

It's no different to our vehicle speedometers which normally read in MPH but must either also display or have the facility to display Km/h (even though UK road signs and speed restrictions ONLY display in miles/Mph).
                  Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
                  Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
                  Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Originally posted by Peter. View Post
                    The UK is not going back to anything. All they are talking about is allowing traditional traders the option to display products in imperial measures if they wish. Almost certainly it will only be allowed alongside a requirement to also display metric measures.

It's no different to our vehicle speedometers which normally read in MPH but must either also display or have the facility to display Km/h (even though UK road signs and speed restrictions ONLY display in miles/Mph).
                    Ahh, OK then, so its basically the headline that I read was vastly over dramatizing it. I had suspected as much (they are known for that)

Comment

I hope this does not turn into " my measurements are better than your measurements" discussion, because the answer is .........neither !.
                      While raised in school with "imperial" , I have used both Metric and Imperial in my machine shop trade/experience for over 50 years.
                      I was even hired one time in a new shop to teach the mechanics and machinists the Metric system since their new equipment came from Germany.
                      Back in the early 70/s while in Canada when they changed over, I saw some hilarious results when the systems were interfaced with each other
                      ( Like 2 x 4 lumber became 51 x 402 when they were really 1-5/8 x 3-5/8 which later became 1-1/2 x 3-1/2 ! ----now try to imagine the metric changes?)
                      My point is --so what-? each system has it's quirks and we seem to dwell on those , instead of learning the systems and understanding the concepts.
                      Each trade has it's own reasons and variations for it's use of measurement , whether Scientific,Architectural,Construction,Jewelry,Manu facturing.....
                      All "twist" the terms to fit their focus.....like when do you hear 73 Centimeters ? no . you hear 730 Milimeters which is like hearing 26/8 ths from a Imperial guy.
                      And we know that Japan and Germany are not eye to eye in methods.
                      Working on machinery you see that Roller and Needle bearings are Imperial Based and Ball bearings are Metric Based
                      So the key is learn both... and you will be a better person.
                      Stay Flexible !
                      Rich

Thanks nickel-city-fab for the post ! good one !

Green Bay, WI

Comment

Originally posted by Peter. View Post
                        The UK is not going back to anything. All they are talking about is allowing traditional traders the option to display products in imperial measures if they wish. Almost certainly it will only be allowed alongside a requirement to also display metric measures........................................).
                        Peter, they must have seen the light with Roller Bearings ..............😀
                        Rich
                        Green Bay, WI

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Carlstedt View Post
                          .like when do you hear 73 Centimeters ? no . you hear 730 Milimeters which is like hearing 26/8 ths from a Imperial guy.

So the key is learn both... and you will be a better person.
                          Stay Flexible !
                          Rich

Thanks nickel-city-fab for the post ! good one !
                          Just the other day I saw an Amazon ad that gave a dimension as 4/5 inch.....
                          it gave me heartburn to read that.

It was painfully obvious that the Asian seller was trying (unsuccessfully)
                          to do Imperial units from a native-metric measurement.
                          The part in question actually measured 20mm,
                          for which most native Imperial speakers will use 3/4 inch.
                          Because nothing is based on odd denominators that I'm aware of.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Carlstedt View Post
                            Back in the early 70/s while in Canada when they changed over, I saw some hilarious results
                            And some not so hilarious results, look up 'Gimli Glider' occurred about 80Km north of me.

Comment

And some not so hilarious results, look up 'Gimli Glider' occurred about 80Km north of me.
                              As a Sail Plane pilot I'm very familiar with that "event". :-) That was some fantastic piloting. .
                              ...lew...
                              PS. With all the blather about the " Metric System" being based on 10 I still think the absolute "non-use" of deci and deka make it all great BS argument.
                              ..lew..
                              Last edited by Lew Hartswick; 09-18-2021, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X