Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RB211
    replied
    Anyhow, here’s what an Arc flash of the power they are playing with will do to your body. Don’t worry, nothing gruesome to see as the body is atomized.
    164 votes, 53 comments. 237k members in the MakeMyCoffin community. We serve educational value by bringing awareness to the dangers of every-day …

Leave a comment:

• RB211
    replied
    Originally posted by garyhlucas View Post
    A waste of a very expensive fuse. The reason that the fuse is built with lots of small links like that is to make it peak limiting. On AC power if the fuse opens as the current rises up the sine wave the energy released is the area under a tiny portion of the curve. If the fuse takes a 1/10 of a second or 6 cycles to open the energy under the curve is huge and will destroy the equipment. Fuses like this are used as a backup to circuit breakers because a circuit breaker simply isn’t fast enough to limit the peak current.

Those links? There is a good chance they were pure silver!
    Well, his video does have over 3 million views, there’s a chance the fuse paid for itself plus more.

Leave a comment:

• garyhlucas
    replied
    A waste of a very expensive fuse. The reason that the fuse is built with lots of small links like that is to make it peak limiting. On AC power if the fuse opens as the current rises up the sine wave the energy released is the area under a tiny portion of the curve. If the fuse takes a 1/10 of a second or 6 cycles to open the energy under the curve is huge and will destroy the equipment. Fuses like this are used as a backup to circuit breakers because a circuit breaker simply isn’t fast enough to limit the peak current.

Those links? There is a good chance they were pure silver!

Leave a comment:

• Doozer
    replied
    He routinely does his experiments in the house on carpet,
    interesting to say the least. I fully predict this house burns
    down some day.

-D

Leave a comment:

• elf
    replied
    Why does the explosion look fake???

Leave a comment:

• boslab
    replied
    I believe he works on high power radar from memory, some defence stuff at least, I certainly wouldn’t muck round with 1000amp Mercury arc rectifiers and such in what looks like my lounge, slightly insane imho, certainly gets your attention
    mark

Leave a comment:

• lynnl
    replied
    Originally posted by RB211 View Post

I found the commentary interesting
    Obviously. Or, at least I assume that's why you posted it. I meant no criticism of the fact the link was posted, rather just the length.

The topic did look interesting to me; that's why I clicked on it. I might have found it interesting, but probably not 18+ minutes worth of interesting.

Leave a comment:

• Doozer
    replied
    Originally posted by Arcane View Post

I care because somebody might watch that and then, not knowing the dangers, attempt it and possibly seriously hurt themselves or worse yet, innocent bystanders.
    I appreciate your point of view about being safe. I really do.
    But you can't save the world.
    Do you appreciate my point of view?
    If you worried about all the dangerous stuff on youtube
    you don't have enough years in your life to do that.
    I think it is fighting a loosing battle to be cry safety about a youtube video.
    Again, just my opinion. You obviously feel differently and will continue on your quest.

-D

Leave a comment:

• RB211
    replied
    Originally posted by lynnl View Post
    Yeah, of the 18:41, I skipped over the last 18:30.
    ...but still, I regret the time I wasted.
    I found the commentary interesting

Leave a comment:

• lynnl
    replied
    Yeah, of the 18:41, I skipped over the last 18:30.
    ...but still, I regret the time I wasted.
    Last edited by lynnl; 09-21-2021, 08:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied

I care because somebody might watch that and then, not knowing the dangers, attempt it and possibly seriously hurt themselves or worse yet, innocent bystanders.
    The good news is that with that particular situation, if the flying debris does not gitcha, there is no prolonged arc, since he has a limited energy supply in the capacitor bank.

I did notice he had the capacitors shorted, a good plan due to potential voltage buildup from "dielectric absorption". Use of a remote switch, etc, all good things. No clue about the surroundings and spectators,

Of course, if the fuse does open, the remaining energy in the capacitor may mean there is a residual voltage. He made no comments about precautions that I noticed, but I admit I skipped through, not wanting to listen to every word. Might have been in the parts I skipped over.

Leave a comment:

• MichaelP
    replied
    Anyone can explain the PURPOSE of the experiment?

P.S. I also wonder what diagnosis his psychologist deals with...
    P.P.S. But I should add that wasting 18min of our life to watch this is also a sign of a problem.
    Last edited by MichaelP; 09-21-2021, 12:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Arcane
    replied
    Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

Not to mention the copper that is vaporized. Would wearing a full arc suit protect you or prolong the agony?
    Yes, they would protect you from the vast majority of electrical arcs but I suspect there's always going to be some that they wouldn't...like a lightning strike for example. They shield you from the initial blast of heat and projected molten metal and give you that small bit of time to save yourself.

Last edited by Arcane; 09-20-2021, 09:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Arcane
    replied
    Originally posted by Doozer View Post

why-does-it-matter-to-you?
    If he blows himself up, it will likely be documented on video.
    Perfect training video footage.

-D

Leave a comment:

• reggie_obe
    replied

A lot of people don't realize that an electrical arc can kill you without electrocuting you; the heat alone is enough. The electrical utility I worked for had training sessions where such information was disbursed.
    Not to mention the copper that is vaporized. Would wearing a full arc suit protect you or prolong the agony?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X