Small Box and Pan Brake Gloat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Box and Pan Brake Gloat

I stumbled across an ad for a small box and pan brake for what seemed to be crazy low money. Took a chance and after a two hour round trip I had the thing in my truck for the princely sum of $10. It is a homemade job and seems to be decently done and it's really heavy. It is a little bit loose in some areas and there is evidence that the milling machine was being maxed out on some of the facing cuts. I decided to try vinegar for rust removal on the smaller parts because access to the sand blaster was blocked. The first batch came out really nice after about a day. The second and third batches cleaned up, but then flash rusted, whereas the first batch didn't. Not sure what happened there because I thought I used the same process on all. Interested in thoughts on where I may have gone wrong.
    I spent a lot of time with the wire wheel cleaning everything up and it came out pretty nice. It has adjustments like a commercial one would and bends without issue. I spent a couple hours tweaking a few things to and equalizing the removable hold down plates. I need to add a couple handles onto the hinged plate to gain some leverage. I'm also contemplating adding a 2x2" angle iron onto that plate to better support the work piece but I'm not convinced I need it and that it wouldn't get in the way. As it is now, there is only the 5/8" thickness of that plate pushing the metal.

I'll probably take it apart, blast and paint it when I have more time, but for now I'll just try to keep it oiled so it won't rust too bad. I'm more about function over form.

I'm looking forward to not having to use the vise and various bars and clamps to bend sheet metal as I restore my 73 Cuda.
    Attached Files

That looks really nice. Looks to be real sturdy.I wonder if this is built from available plans if you think its home made.

Comment

wowsers, that is solid and looks very well made. Even with the petrol cost added on top, that's a fantastic deal. I'd love to have one that size.

Comment

It is definitely home made. I would guess someone had a set of plans or modeled it off an existing commercial machine. While some of the parts are a little "loose", the hinged table is a very nice fit. He hit the target on the hinge because that narrow gap between the hinged plate and fixed plate is maintained throughout the rotation. That means that corner is right at center on the hinge, the way it should be I would think. The fixed plate is 1/2" thick and the hinged one is 5/8" and the whole thing probably is close to 60 pounds. It's obvious he used material that he had on hand and came from some other machine that was decommissioned. I may remake the eccentric cams to tighten up the fit, but that will be a good project for the winter.

Comment

Ok, I will be first: YOU SUCK! Very nice catch for $10. It looks good and it cleaned up even nicer!
          Robin

Happily working on my second million Gave up on the first

Comment

Niiice grab.

Comment

Very nice score,Kudos to who ever built it looks very stout.

Comment

Yeah "YOU SUCK" that is one nice tool...! As Matt said even with the fuel cost it was one hell of a deal.. I drove 120miles for a Grizzly 4' pan brake about 3 years ago for 200.00 and thought I got a deal, yours is way nicer and a way better price.. Now your going to have to show us what it can do....!

I'll be watching for the first post of something you made....

TX
                Mr fixit for the family
                Chris

Comment

Yea, a definite "You Suck!"

When I saw the first photo my first thought was that rust was not long for this world. Sure enough, it really cleaned up nice. Great find. Enjoy!
                  Paul A.
                  SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                  You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

That's a nice and stout little brake. And you scored big time on the price for sure.

Makes me sad in a way that somebody put all that time and effort into making it, and along comes somebody that slaps a $10 price tag on it. Machinists are so under appreciated in today's society. Glad you were able to save it from the scrap yard, or somebody's living room art project. lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
                      That's a nice and stout little brake. And you scored big time on the price for sure.

Makes me sad in a way that somebody put all that time and effort into making it, and along comes somebody that slaps a $10 price tag on it. Machinists are so under appreciated in today's society. Glad you were able to save it from the scrap yard, or somebody's living room art project. lol.
                      It was interesting, in that the guy I bought it from was some sort of machinist and woodworker. Had a bunch of wood machines in the garage and talked about a Bridgeport he picked up. I got the impression he was a CNC operator. He had to understand what the potential value was. He just seemed happy that it was going to a good home. Said he had a six foot brake at work he could use. Shot the breeze with him for quite a while. It was a ways out in the boonies. I'm sure if it was listed in town it wouldn't have lasted twenty minutes. I should have plenty of opportunities to use it as I work my way around the Cuda. Almost every panel on the back is being repaired/replaced, including the roof skin.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Strange, from the price I assumed it would have been an estate clean out or something like it, where they just want stuff gone or it goes to the dump.

Looks like a lot of work going into that Cuda. Be sure to post some pics of the journey. When I was growing up the neighbor next door to my grandparents cottage had 2 Cuda's sitting outside for many years. A green one and a purple one (not sure of the years or any other details). I remember my Dad saying one time as we were driving past "that guy doesn't know what he has". That was back in the mid 90's. As far as I know they're still there rotting away.

Comment

Wow - 10 bucks - what a great score.... nice work bringing it around too...

Comment

Yeah has a 6 ft brake at work and probably asks the sheetmetal guys to do it for him.... that is my guess.
                            some folks only know what they been taught and dont expand their knowledge base..
                            them folk I dont like to hang around with so much..
                            Last edited by 754; 09-22-2021, 07:29 PM.

Comment

That looks like who ever made it put a lot of time and thought into it even if it was copied. I can't believe how well it cleaned up. Vinegar and water ......... you made your own Evap O Rust.

Good find.

JL..............

Comment

Working...
                              X