OT hydraulic mess I've gotten myself into

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave C View Post
    MIG spatter is probably it, but how did it get into the system. It had to have come from the tank, but how did it get in there? Sloppy workmanship, or a deliberate stunt by a disgruntled / psyco employee?
    Might also be steel shot from a shot blasting line. That is a common problem with shot or bead blasting, getting the media out of all the nooks and crannys.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

That was my original thought because of the uniform size of the round balls.
      “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
        I worked on a splitter very similar once, it had a suction strainer that screwed into the pipe boss that was welded into the tank wall.Then the suction hose threaded into it like so-

https://www.mcmaster.com/98065K411/
        Something like that would be ideal, but I wonder what effect it would have on the flow rate going from 1*NPT to 1/2" NPT.

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post

Might also be steel shot from a shot blasting line. That is a common problem with shot or bead blasting, getting the media out of all the nooks and crannys.
          Having been up close and personal with this thing for a while, I am convinced it is shot blast media. All the welds are on the outside, which could lead to gaps on the inside for shot to get stuck in. Maybe the tank was welded up except for the top part, then run through the shot blast, then the top welded on. Speculation at best, and going to remain a mystery. Could even have been sabotage. Floor swept up and debris dumped in the tank by a poed worker.

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

Do you have welding equipment? I'd simply just cut the ends off, and clean it all out from the inside. Maybe you could even get it all by only removing one end. It would have been the path of least resistance at this point, but I do understand falling down the rabbit hole thinking one process would have been quicker, but it ends up taking longer in the end. Without knowing how bad the inside was, a simple flushing and cleaning sounds like the easy way out.

Comment

The key to using air pressure to get the end cap off
              is to have the piston down in the cylinder and use
              it as a ram / hammer. Don't just pressurize the
              thing with the piston right behind the end cap.
              The pressure alone should not be used, it is the
              ram effect of the piston moving some distance
              and hitting the end cap.

--Doozer
              DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Dave C View Post

Something like that would be ideal, but I wonder what effect it would have on the flow rate going from 1*NPT to 1/2" NPT.
                Not enough to matter, if your spliter has the typical 5hp gas engine power unit, it's probably 5 GPM max anyway.
                I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Specs say engine is 6.5 hp and pump is 13 gph. No idea what actual flow rate is, but I will get the strainer you suggested and see how it performs.

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

Working...
                  X