Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

. .? FUNCTION OF HOLES in spacer blocks like 1 2 3 blocks..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• . .? FUNCTION OF HOLES in spacer blocks like 1 2 3 blocks..?

I acquired a few nice shopmade blocks including one 1 2 3.. and if course my old 123 set went missing.
    anyway lots of thru holes and painted up.. great for bolting thru to fasten a plate. However no tapped holes whick is strange as it is nice to bolt stuff to side , but nit thru.
    can anyome think if other uses for so many untapp Click image for larger version

Name:	20210922_142055.jpg
Views:	687
Size:	632.5 KB
ID:	1963001 ed holes ?

Less un-sprung weight for better ride, faster acceleration, and improved cornering.

Plus, the paint looks bad-ass.

Comment

If the holes are reamed, you could drop a dowel pin into them to help locate parts.

Comment

Weight reduction and Holes are there for you to tap to your Liking as a drilled hole is cheaper to produce

Rich
        Green Bay, WI

Comment

There was also couple of nicely ground small angle plates, they are tapped., one however does have a full square in corner.. strange. Also some laminated transfer blocks for surface grinder he made.. and a sine bar.. beautiful but got some corrosion damage..
          and this piece.. lot if work.. Click image for larger version

Name:	20210809_174505.jpg
Views:	656
Size:	661.1 KB
ID:	1963013

Comment

We had a few blocks in one workshop that had a cylindrical slug with a perpendicular drilled and tapped hole that fitted the holes in the blocks ( not painted btw), you slid the slug in and dropped in the fixing bolt or stud, worked well, the holes were reamed and the plug a sliding fit, similar to the knock down fittings, maybe you could do the same?
            mark

Comment

You mean a pin that comes in at 90 degrees with tapped holes, so you can use a 10-24 in a block with 1/ holes... is what I was thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
                However no tapped holes which is strange as it is nice to bolt stuff to side
                Look up 'cross dowel barrel nut', beloved of Swedish self-assembly furniture makers.

Comment

Yeah, I like the coated surface.

Its to keep the ill informed that the holes are not for their convinence.

Meaning not all gauge blocks are made the same. They are preety though. JR

Edit" Meaning. I dont think you are supposed to referance off any of the coated n(painted) surfaces..
                  Last edited by JRouche; 09-26-2021, 05:32 AM.

Comment

If the blocks aren't hardened and the holes are close enough in size to a standard or even metric thread you could tap a few, or drill and tap to the closest size. Other wise it's bolt through.

They look nice, first thing that comes to mind is dice and dominoes.

JL.............

Comment

You mean a pin that comes in at 90 degrees with tapped holes, so you can use a 10-24 in a block with 1/ holes... is what I was thinking.
                      That’s what I was on about , though not well described, damn this English language is hard, oh wait it’s supposed to be my native tounge, but I am welsh so I have an excuse
                      mark

Comment

The simplest explanation is that the guy who made them didn't want any threaded holes like the blocks commonly bought factory made. Also the holes are not made to be precision reamed ones or he would not have painted the bores.

Comment

I've got a couple of the cheap import blocks that were drilled to the tapping size then some holes threaded and others left. Totally frustrating. And rather useless in many ways. So these with just all holes drilled and using barrel nuts and bolts or studs to fit the barrel nuts sounds like a far nicer option. Also unlike the some holes drilled and some threaded you can then use any hole for any use. A far nicer way to do it as it makes your options almost universal.

Mind you if this was in fact the intended idea then I would not have painted the insides of the holes. That'll make it nasty for running the barrel nuts through to the proper hole. So I tend to have my doubts about this being the intended mode for joining the blocks.

But barrel nuts for these is such a great idea that if the blocks were in my shop and thanks to boslab I think I'd have no qualms about cleaning up those holes with a drill or reamer and making up a half dozen or so barrel nuts for some suitable size bolts.
                          Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

I acquired a few nice shopmade blocks including one 1 2 3.. and if course my old 123 set went missing.
                            anyway lots of thru holes and painted up.. great for bolting thru to fasten a plate. However no tapped holes which is strange as it is nice to bolt stuff to side , but not thru. Can anyone think if other uses for so many untapped holes ?
                            He may have intended to ream some holes and thread others. Maybe they have no tapped holes because he never finished the project? The missing 1, 2, 3 block might support this idea.

Comment

1) give apprentices practice at drilling
                              2) provide a place for dirt and chips to hide so they can mess up a part swap.
                              3) a gimmick for late night infomercials....you know, 15 minutes of droning on bolting them together to make useful things....but you know you never will
                              4) reduce shipping costs
                              5) the stores are closed you need an emergency give for wife - tell her its a dried flower arrangement vase.
                              6) less surface to grind, save wear and tear on grinding wheels
                              7) Annoy Doozer

I've picked up a ton of hardened blocks over the from all kinds of different very talented tool makers, probably 50 from small to huge. None are tapped. A commercial set, pair of B&S 123's has tapped holes, never used them and wouldn't put tapped holes in if I was making blocks. Its just done for lightness and being able to bolt through them, e.g fasten to a table. They are generally hardened and hardened threads aren't the best idea, maybe thats a factor as well
                              Last edited by Mcgyver; 09-26-2021, 06:22 PM.
                              in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Working...
                              X