Good enough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good enough

Here is one of those "good enough" projects I whipped together this morning. I bought a cheap 8" grinder recently and needed someplace to put it. I scrounged around the spare parts inventory this morning and found just the right bits to make one.

I thought I would show a pic of my less-than-perfect welding. All I had was some too small 3/32 6013 rod to use on my buzz box and the DC adapter is in service at the anodizing table so I didn't feel like moving it. However, the welding is good enough.

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

It looks good enough to me Evan.
    You can wipe some bondo over it with
    a wet finger and some spray paint and
    it will be beautiful.

gramps
    Last edited by gramps; 05-08-2006, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Hey at least its a continous bead - you should see what my auto teacher calls good enough! It looks like pumice stone - slag inclusions all over the place. Its kinda a scary to see that on an engine stand or something holding weight... :/

Comment

Fine work, young man! Sure the base will be heavy enough? looks like it weighs about 89.734 pounds including grinder.

Comment

Heavy Duty Stand

Shoot far! (Texan for Wow!) That's a mighty fine stand. The welds look great to me. Looks like you need a dolly to move it around.

Comment

As far as I am concerned any weld that holds and does not break is good enough.
            Don\'t ask me to do a dam thing, I\'m retired.
            http://home.earthlink.net/~kcprecision/

Comment

Good enough

Evan,

There's nothing wrong with those welds. They won't fall off. I have been planning to build one of these stands for my grinder and may get to do it this trip out west. I have an old brake drum from a truck, for the base, and some square tube for the post. I just need to get some scraps of steel plate and I will have what I need. I can't believe that those bases are so expensive from Harbor Fart. They wanted $39 the last time I looked. Anyway, there is nothing better than making it yourself. That way you get a stand that fits you!!!

Jim (KB4IVH)
              Jim (KB4IVH)

Only fools abuse their tools.

Comment

I have to go buy some more welding rod. That 3/32 wouldn't last long enough to run a bead on one side plus it was overheating. I am 6'2" tall so I made the stand tall to suit me. It put the grinder tool rest about 2" below my elbow which is the perfect height for working without having to stoop over. That kills my back faster than anything else.

The base is from a piece of junk I had laying around. I cut it in half so I have another piece just like it. Instead of a brake drum use a wheel rim. It will give better stability.

Comment

I don't care for a wheel rim, if it is too big you will always be stretching to get there, or straddling and off balance,IMO.

Comment

Use a wheel rim but don't stick the post in the center. Place it near the front. The grinder isn't going to fall forward. Then if you need some more weight it is easy to pile some scrap on the rim.

Comment

Yea,good Idea, but every one seems to put it in the center, But I know what you mean.

Comment

Use the rim and weld some J bolts inside and fill the rim with sackcreat. You can add about 270# to the weight.
                        Don\'t ask me to do a dam thing, I\'m retired.
                        http://home.earthlink.net/~kcprecision/

Comment

I have a brake drum from a 48' trailer, and plan to do something like this. I'll have to bolt the column to the cast drum. I want to mount my three bench grinders to a "+" on top with a lifting ring in the center so I can move the thing with my engine hoist. If it doesn't work, I'll paint it fancy and use it as an umbrella stand in the yard.
                          Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

Comment

HAHA! Very cool. Lots of refrences to the old "wheel rim" stand...

I'll try and get some pics of mine, it's made entirely of auto parts. Wheel is the complete donut (with tire) from a Neon. Welded to that is a Torsen rear diff (with ring gear), broken, from my 2000 Camaro. An extra axle from the same car serves as the pillar, and the grinder bolts to a large, heavy steel disk from a brake lathe welded to the top of that axle, to the wheel studs. Finally a connecting rod from my friends old blown up 305 serves as a holder for a water dish.

Overall it's very heavy and stable, plus it gets lots of cool looks from people

Comment

Looks good to me,ain't nothing wrong with those welds,seen a lot worse hold up a lot more.
                              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
                              X