Subaru's new hot-rod engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subaru's new hot-rod engine

I drive a 2015 Forester with 155,000 miles on it. I'm waiting for a 2023 Forester, which many are hoping will this new 2.4L turbo-charged engine:

https://www.torquenews.com/1084/new-...est-yet-tuners.

I am curious -- what sort of modifications can the "tuners" do to boost the 271 HP it has when leaving the factory?
    Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Raising the turbo pressure is the easiest. However where you could just raise it in the past to get 1000hp out of a Supra engine, components are designed much more on the edge nowadays. So many more mechanical and thermal issues will pop up now.

Comment

Originally posted by ikdor View Post
      Raising the turbo pressure is the easiest. . . .
      I posted before discovering this YouTube which is at the bottom of the OP link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd5qE5m-U7s

This mentions some of the enhancements incorporated into the FA24 engine design. Apparently 500 HP should be attainable by boosting the turbo pressure. How much horsepower would be useful, with breaking traction from four driven wheels?
      Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Originally posted by aostling View Post
        I drive a 2015 Forester with 155,000 miles on it. I'm waiting for a 2023 Forester, which many are hoping will this new 2.4L turbo-charged engine:

https://www.torquenews.com/1084/new-...est-yet-tuners.

I am curious -- what sort of modifications can the "tuners" do to boost the 271 HP it has when leaving the factory?
        271 hp's out of a turbo 2.4 liter? what a sea slug lol

take away 400 cc's - normally aspirate it and then come up with 247 ponies - and do it 20 years ago,,, now your talking perfection, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_S2000
        anybody can slap a turbo on something and make ponies, well almost anyone - I guess excluding subaru in this example anyways lol not impressed - what's the land barge weigh anyways?... thing needs to be crushed and made into bottle openers...

Comment

Anyone can say that about a lot of engines. But how long does it last ? Will you warranty it ?

he is falking about a new car, that has manners and is not a race engine, and its probably a bit more technically advamced than what you are talking about. Can it be done ..sure .. always has.. Is it suitable for daily use and a bit of longivity.. probably not..
          we all get to pick our cup of tea.. be cause we are the one drinking it..

Comment

That Honda motor was junk.
            Absolutely no torque and no power under 5K RPM.
            There's a reason they quietly added another 200cc displacement.
            Even with the extra displacement, that Subie motor has a lot more area under the curve.

Comment

I have a Subaru, but not for a performance car. It's my daily driver, what it was designed for. Why Subaru wants to be in the performance business I don't understand. You want power get a Rausch Mustang or something similar.

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
                Anyone can say that about a lot of engines. But how long does it last ? Will you warranty it ?

he is falking about a new car, that has manners and is not a race engine, and its probably a bit more technically advamced than what you are talking about. Can it be done ..sure .. always has.. Is it suitable for daily use and a bit of longivity.. probably not..
                we all get to pick our cup of tea.. be cause we are the one drinking it..
                He was "boasting" about a "hot rod engine" --- and I was comparing it to a new car at the time of over 20 years ago... not anyone can say that about "a lot of engines"

Honda could and has said it about a few of theirs being the highest horsepower per cubic inch normally aspirated engine ever in mass production,,, they set that record early on with the B-16 and then the 2 liter in the S-2000, that record stood for about 8 years and then Ferarri claimed it although the dispute with their claim is "if" they could say "mass production"

The subaru's example is about as lame as it gets --- it's like their running only 3 ounces of boost.... like i said it needs to be crushed and melted down...

Comment

Originally posted by eric_h View Post
                  That Honda motor was junk.
                  Absolutely no torque and no power under 5K RPM.
                  There's a reason they quietly added another 200cc displacement.
                  Even with the extra displacement, that Subie motor has a lot more area under the curve.
                  Junk? lol --- actually the 6 speed tranny kept it in it's range quite nicely IF you know how to drive - it's the "upgrade" that was the actually embarrassment, 200 more cc's all to lose 5 hp.... of course that's what you get when you build bigger parts and have to drastically reduce your redline... talk about shooting oneself in the foot...

Comment

Oh Jeez here we go .We get it the Subie is yer pet whipping post, just like Harley for you in the bike world..

well ACCEPT IT or DONT.. HEwas asking about Subaru.. and what can be done with it.. Not or do you pfefer some other brand/technology over Subaru..

Comment

Oh by the way.. my son has a 2000 ish Subie that puts out I think 260 ish.. from factory .. its called a Blitzen ..a JDM collab with Porsche..

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
                        Oh by the way.. my son has a 2000 ish Subie that puts out I think 260 ish.. from factory .. its called a Blitzen ..a JDM collab with Porsche..
                        I believe the blitzen is turbo charged is it not? not very impressive numbers,,, big difference between mechanical art and run of the mill slap a turbo on it...

Im just raising a little hell, Im entitled to my subie opinion for having to work on them for the past 45 or so years... never have been overly impressed with anything they did, iv owned a few - whooped up on them and for the most part they did not break - not horrible cars by no means and probably have kept my face fed more than any other japanese vehicle, so can't complain about that part...

Comment

Originally posted by aostling View Post

The most bang for the buck would probably be running e85 for fuel and then getting it tuned for it. Bolt on intake/exhaust will probably also help.

After that, really depends on what you want to spend.

Comment

Seeing lot's of problemo's with their CVT's shelling out early - could be worse - you could always own a nissan with one... they are really having trouble - if you own one it's just a matter of time - short time at that...

Comment

Thats a crazy amount of HP!! Im impressed..

Just be aware. With all the monitoring they do with the multitude of computers they will take a looksee and if you have over boosted it they will know.. By by warrenteee.. JR

Comment

Working...
                              X